Maria Emmerich and the Art of Eating Healthy

Wheat-free nutrition champion, Maria Emmerich, has just released a new book: The Art of Eating Healthy–Kids; Grain Free Low Carb Reinvented.

It is a masterpiece! If I wanted a beautifully illustrated, easy-to-read book, packed solid with useful health and cooking tips that accompanies the Wheat Belly message, this would be it. While Maria’s book does indeed focus on recipes suited for kids, nearly all the recipes are useful/adaptable to Big Kids like your husband, too.

Among the recipes she provides:

Snickerdoodle Cookies
Protein Granola Bars
Nacho Chips
Twinkies
Quesadillas

Maria allowed me to reproduce her “Healthified” Cinnamon Bagel recipe here.

“HEALTHIFIED” CINNAMON BAGELS
1/4 cup coconut oil or butter, melted
1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup unflavored whey protein
5 eggs
½ tsp Celtic sea salt
1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
OPTIONAL: 1 tsp guar gum or xanthan gum

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Blend together eggs, coconut oil/butter, salt, and spices if using.

In a separate bowl, mix coconut and whey with baking powder and guar gum. Blend the dry mixture into the wet until smooth.

Grease a donut pan with coconut oil spray. Bake for 15 minutes. Makes 6 bagels.

VARIATIONS:
“EVERYTHING” Bagel: add 1/2 tsp dill, 1/2 tsp dried chives
1/2 tsp dried parsley, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp garlic, 2 TBS parmesan cheese
Onion bagel: add 1 tsp dried onion flakes
Cinnamon: add 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp stevia glycerite and 1 tsp vanilla (and use vanilla whey instead of unflavored)

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per bagel)
Lender’s New York Bagel = 270 calories, 4g fat, 6g protein, 55 carbs, 8 g fiber
“Healthified” Bagel = 161 calories, 13g fat, 8g protein, 2.9 carbs, 1.7 g fiber

Maria’s book can be purchased on Amazon.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

58 Responses to Maria Emmerich and the Art of Eating Healthy

1. Great that you review other related books. We do need to tackle this epidemic at the kiddie level. Educate your kids and they will grow up with the same values.

2. Tracy says:

I made these bagels (the cinnamon version) this morning and all I can say is THANK YOU! They turned out so well and taste so good, and The Husband even liked him (lovingly referred as “Mr. Picky”). I’ll be trying the new variations and checking out the new book.

3. Stephanie says:

Mike,
    Have you checked into a “Whole Food Multivitamin”? The one I take is organic and made from real food, not just chemicals thrown together. Also, no ‘fillers’. I get mine from my local health food store.
    Stephanie

4. Brandon says:

Her books look really good. Recipes seem very tasty! One concern though.

She does have a chapter (in another book of hers) on walking to burn calories and I notice she compares calorie amounts in certain foods?? Not sure what that is about? I know that I never counted calories since I went low carb and stopped the wheat and sugar and have been very successful only counting carbs not calories. I don’t know too many in the low carb community who count calories anymore. I haven’t read here books yet so maybe I’m not understanding her right.

I’ll have to ask her about that one of these days.

But, yes, no need to count calories, Brandon. Calories should mind themselves, particularly in a lifestyle without the appetite-stimulating effects of the gliadin protein in wheat.

5. Piper says:

What shall we extract from this? I love fresh vegetable juices, so I always check out websites for different recipes, but I came across this…

The following pHase contrast microscopy is the live blood of a client/patient diagnosed with metastatic bone cancer.
    There are only two blood types – healthy and unhealthy. Unhealthy blood is the result of an acidic lifestyle and diet. A diet high in animal protein, eggs, dairy, and cheese. Healthy blood is the result of an alkaline “LIFE” style and diet high in green fruit like avocado and cucumber and green vegetables like broccoli and spinach.

What should we take from this? Obviously they are promoting a greener lifestyle, but why knock the meat, cheese and eggs when in all reality… Isn’t the poison truly wheat?

Another instance of “a little bit of knowledge is . . . ”

Eat no wheat nor grains, and pH shifts towards the alkaline side.

6. Melissa says:

So excited about this book, but have only tried two recipes and found the chocolate pie recipe to be flawed. First, the crust is too runny and does not cling up the sides of the pie pan. Second, it must be a misprint to use a spring form pan. Third? Well maybe she should mention the use of pasturized eggs. I didnt realize this until beating the eggs in and wondering about food safety. Wasted all my expensive ingredients throwing this mixture out bc my organic eggs weren’t pasturized. 3 problems with just one recipe. For an expensive book. The info regarding all the other stuff is great, I just hope I dont find flaws with every recipe.

7. Suzanne says:

What does it mean when the recipe calls for 1 3/4 cups vanilla whey/egg protein? Is it a mixture of both to equal 1 3/4 cups?

• Maria Emmerich says:

It is an or. You can use whey protein or egg white protein. :)

• Felicia says:

I made your deep dish pizza tonight and was disappointed. It wasn’t deep and wasn’t very pizza crusty either. Is there something missing from the recipe in the Kindle version?

8. Jen says:

Does anybody know how much pea protein should be used instead of whey? I cannot have whey so have to use pea and I know it tends to be more thirsty. Shall I cut down the protein powder amount or increase the liquid or eggs? Thanks for the help :)

9. Right here is the right web site for anyone who wants to find out
    about this topic. You understand a whole lot its almost tough to argue with you (not that I
    really would want to…HaHa). You definitely put a brand new spin on a subject that has
    been discussed for a long time. Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

10. sam says:

Hello,

I am trying to get over spelt, as I just recently thought it was the way to go, and made great bread with it for my kids, as I stopped buying whole wheat bread. None of us have celiac, so could we continue to use spelt? as you mentioned it doesn’t have all the negatives as wheat does.

Also, I am making my own whey which is in liquid form. How can I use this, in recipes that call for powdered whey?

Sam

• unterderlaterne says:

Sam, the following recipe will make you forget your spelt bread, well almost LOL. I make my own yogurt too and use the whey in the following recipe, I replace the butter milk with whey! It is delicious. I also add CHIA SEEDS for extra fiber and sometimes HEMP HEARTS for extra energy. If you really want something fabulous, top the sunflower seed bread with cream cheese and smoked salmon! To die for. This great creation is not mine but a woman from Ney Zealand. and she says:”
      This is a bread recipe I have created through playing with the recipes in your cookbook. It freezes well and keeps for over a week in the fridge. I think it tastes delicious . . . better than ‘normal’ bread.”

Sunflower Seed Bread
      2 C ground almond
      1 C sunflower seeds
      1/2 C ground flaxseed
      1/4 C chickpea flour
      2 tsp baking powder
      1 tsp salt
      2 eggs
      1 C buttermilk or full fat milk
      1/2 C tasty cheese
      Mix all dry ingredients together then add milk, eggs and cheese. Put in a loaf tin and bake at 180 degrees Celsius/350 degrees Fahrenheit degrees for 45-50 mins.

[Note from WD: To minimize the potential for Baker's ammonia, add milk and cheese to the dry ingredients with a teaspoon of lemon juice, wait one minute. Whisk the eggs and then add them to the mixture.]
      Have fun! Barbara. ( I leave the cheese and add 2 Tblesp. of coconut flour.)

11. Pingback: Maria Mind Body Health | Iced Mocha and "Carb Loading" - Maria Mind Body Health