You’re worth more FAT than skinny: Obesity as economic opportunity

The system we live in makes for some perversions of economics. Once you understand these perverse circumstances, lots of things in health make better sense. Among them:

You are worth more DIABETIC than non-diabetic.
Diabetes is a booming business! Take a look at the gushing predictions of financial analysts, such as this Wikinvest report: Diabetes is booming and expected to pay drug manufacturers up to $114 billion annually. The diabetes market is presently growing 13.5% per year, a growth rate that shows no signs of slowing despite the recession.

You are worth more FAT than skinny.
We all know that being overweight or obese is associated with a wide array of health conditions: hypertension, diabetes and pre-diabetes, osteoarthritis, acid reflux, gallbladder disease, coronary heart disease, breast cancer. In total, these “market opportunities” comprise hundreds of billions of dollars in drug prescriptions, joint prostheses, surgical procedures, and hospitalizations. Drugs for acid reflux alone approach $100 billion annually in revenues to the drug industry.

If you are slender or normal, you are providing far less opportunity for any of these conditions. You are worthless!

You are worth more ALIVE than dead.
Chronic disease is the key, not death!

The longer you are kept alive with chronic conditions that require treatment, such as “high cholesterol,” acid reflux, or hypertension, the more profit opportunity there is.

Your lack of health, cultivated by Big Food and Big Agribusiness, represents a very substantial opportunity for Big Pharma. They need more overweight people with chronic diseases like diabetes, hypertension, and arthritis.

So get out there and do your part to grow the economy: Eat more “healthy whole grains,” frequent your Big Box store selling cellophane-wrapped, ready-to-eat processed food, and see your doctor who is ready and able to prescribe all the drugs you will need. If you (or your employer) pay your healthcare insurance premiums, well, then, you bear the burden of costs, not to mention the burden of disease. If you are not diabetic, overweight, or unhealthy, well then, you simply are no use to Big Food, Agribusiness, or Big Pharma!

This entry was posted in Economics of. Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to You’re worth more FAT than skinny: Obesity as economic opportunity

1. LaurieLM says:

This post is really amazing. When did we switch to the cure being superior to one iota even of prevention? Not talking about the scam of statins being claimed as, at first, secondary prevention and now the false claims of primary prevention.
    ‘An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure’. $25. worth of prevention and information (‘Wheat Belly’) is worth, and less costly, than $1,000,000,000,000 of for profit cures.
    I am thankful we have level 4 trauma centers and EMTs and medical personnel for the kind of accident work that we need in our society. But, even with that, working to prevent accidents and improving safety is critical and worth while.
    Our ‘health care industry’ is completely perverted away from prevention of any type. It is so bad, and thanks for your insight Good Doc D, that this industry actively causes virtually all the problems and diseases and all the shiny new, will bankrupt us eventually, procedures and cures that we have now!

Hi, Laurie!

Yes, the medical system handles high volumes and capable healthcare is wide available nowadays. Every hospital wants to have its own heart program, cancer program, and other programs that pay richly.

But, as you point out, when did we lose sight of the fact that many, many of these richly-paying diseases didn’t even have to occur?

This is why what you and I do is so important: We are highlighting the fact that the medical system, from drug companies to hospitals to physicians, are in many instances treating the ill effects of diet.

• Bee J says:

I so totally agree — we seem to have lost all semblance of any kind of prevention relating to our health in this country.

About 10 years ago I was diagnosed with HBP. I didn’t like taking the pills, so I did research and changed the way I ate, lost 30#’s and took myself off the pills. My co-workers thought I was crazy — just ask them to up the dosage if it goes up — was their response.

I am in charge of getting together a list of folks to be moved in case of a hurricane. We have to get a list of all their meds. I am amazed that some folks are taking 15 – 20 meds a day, or more.

In talking to these folks, I have come to realize that all their faith is in that medicine, and that is so sad to me.

Yes, the adherence to “take this medication for that ailment” is a disease in and of itself, Bee.

Set the example and show them that it can be done and sustained. Educate when they ask. That is all we can do.

2. Rong says:

Two new studies show that; 1) Low-carb diet burns the most calories according the the NIH. 2) Wheat in baby formula in Sweden caused an epidemic in infant celiac disease.

This should be no surprise to those reading and posting here but to many others maybe this will allow the light to go on and accept what is in this blog. You will find that the NIH still can’t figure why low carb is better for loosing weight and keeping it off. This is because they are probably not allowed to come to any conclusion that doesn’t prove “healthy whole grains” are good for you.

I also found it interesting in the Swedish case that they just couldn’t come to the obvious conclusion that maybe the immune response the babies were having to wheat was the correct response to the entry of a toxin into the human body.

The two article links are below.

Yes, Rong: You and I will typically see responses like “Low-carb diets are restrictive. People lose weight because they have few choices in foods.”

We know better, of course.

• Rong says:

Fewer choices. Yes, I suppose. However, if you are playing Russian roulette the fewer loaded chambers the better.

3. torchsinger says:

I saw this article today:

The article states that “a federal health advisory panel on Monday recommended that all obese adults receive intensive counseling in an effort to rein in a growing health crisis in America.”

That looks like a phony jobs programs to me! Just think of the additional couselors needed.

Later the article says, “The panel acknowledged that one problem with its recommendation was that no studies have shown such intensive programs provide long-term health benefits.”

Of course not…they won’t tell anyone that it is the wheat.

4. Jean Bush says:

The weaker and sicker we are, the easier we can be controlled.

5. BW says:

I have heard that Italy does not allow GMO wheat. I found some pasta that is made in Italy. Would this be ok to eat?

• pam says:

@BW
      Hi,
      i’m not Dr. Davis.

those modern dwarf wheat can be labeled as “non-GMO” according to Dr. Davis.

maybe if you can find one that was before 1950? that would be safer. am not sure.

sometime ago Dr. Davis discussed about ancient strands of wheat (Emma? Eihorn? Spelt?) so you can search those.

regards,

• Graham says:

BW, not sure if Dr Davis is watching this thread constantly as it’s a few days old. Anyway I am in Bel Paese and whilst theoretically GMOs might be banned you see and hear so many food horror stories nearly every week that I wouldn’t be so sure. There are plenty of types of organic pasta available that, again in theory, should be better than ordinary pasta but Dr Davis’ beef is with the “new” dwarf-strain wheat and to a similar or slightly lesser extent with most other cereals (there are one or two exceptions but see the book for full details), the fact it is organic or allegedly GMO-free doesn’t really make it any better. After reading the book I have cut out wheat pasta and bread but I still eat some organic Emmer wheat or farro pasta (just looked at the pack and it’s Triticum dicoccum) and also some organic “farro” bread (I am assuming it’s the same plant but not 100% sure as “farro” dosen’t always seem to refer to the same grain as for example I often see it translated as “spelt” although apparently this is Triticum spelta). Anyway, whilst what I eat is probably much better for you than ordinary wheat it is still not absolved by Dr Davis and I have cut down the amount consumed, furthermore AFAIK I don’t have any wheat intolerance and am also very thin so I can probably get away with it in moderation. I’m not saying it would do any harm to try “farro” as it must be better than wheat itself but its use, particularly long-term, needs to be carefully monitored, if you need to lose weight you may well have to cut out nearly all grains as, at the risk of repeating myself, most are not Dr Davis-approved for reasons he has explained in various posts and in the book.

6. Annie says:

Thank you for freeing us from the medical gravy train. My neighbors and we are going to opt out of Medicare program. I did not realize we had that option. It is a form of slavery, pure and simple.
    Twila Brase, R.N. is forming options at her site instead of insurance that makes us indentured servants.
    Thanks

7. Susanne Anderson says:

Yesterday I had to go pick up my prescriptions from 2 pharmacies–1 was for hormones and 1 for blood pressure. Hopefully, soon I will be able to cut out the BP meds. Anyway, both pharmacies were extremely crowded. People take so many medications; the list of side effects from my BP medications is outrageous and alarming when I think about them.

Susanne

8. kimyo says:

is it possible that reduced vitamin d levels trigger a sort of ‘hibernation’ mode in humans?
    if so, as far as our bodies are concerned, it’s always winter. (seeing as how the vast majority of us are chronically deficient.)

perhaps this slows down our metabolism and causes us to accumulate body fat, in spite of our best efforts to jump on the treadmill and watch what we eat.

apologies if this is not an appropriate place for the question. my personal experience involves greatly improved health upon removing wheat/soy/canola from my diet, switching to grass-fed/pastured foods and getting vitamin d replete.

the standard doctrine ’15 minutes of sun / day’ is obviously false. perhaps the fda has done the math and realizes that Lorcaserin will generate more income than sunshine and vitamin d capsules. and then, even more revenue as we treat all the side effects (the wiki says rats fed Lorcaserin developed cancer).

“Plasma vitamin D predicted weight loss in obese individuals”

“Low levels of Vitamin D linked to muscle fat, decreased strength in young people”

“Dramatic changes were documented in the vitamin D3/D2 ratio and in markers of bone and connective tissue turnover in brown bears between hibernation and the active state. ”

Yes, I believe that is entirely true, Kim.

I experienced this personally. Prior to vitamin D correction, every winter in Wisconsin I had to fight off the impulse to bury myself in bed and not get up to meet the day.

Today, now vitamin D replete with a 25-hydroxy vitamin D level of 77 ng/ml, I jump out of bed in the morning, ready for anything!

9. Jean Bush says:

Dear Dr. Davis,

I had the following exchange in the comments section of a Yahoo article on food.

fallenangel • And we wonder why so many Americans are overweight..its right there in the foods we eat. Growth hormones, corn syrup in just about everything..heck, even low fat foods have sugar added to make them taste good. Smh.

Jean • It’s not the corn. Google: Wheat Belly. It’s the wheat..

1Thumbs Down disliked this comment

Jean • For the ignoramus that thumbed me down, if you can scientifically disprove any of Dr. William Davis’ claims, I’ll eat your shorts…

As you can see, I’m not afraid of a good fight:) Do you think I’m in trouble??? Hahahaha! If I get a reply I’ll let you know.

Jean

• Jean Bush says:

UPDATE:
      I got 10 thumbs down which hid my comment due to low ratings. “Bill” said you were a quack and to read your other “findings.”

I can’t belive the hatred out there. How have you managed to survive the firestorm yourself??? Have you received over the years, any rebuttal scientific documentation from peers?

It’s almost as if you recommended abandoning your mother instead of wheat:) However, the truth will win out, yes?

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.
      Winston Churchill

Don’t sweat it, Jean.

With any controversial message, there will be blind hatred and venom. That’s human nature.

Imagine being a nutrition educator at a university, teaching and lecturing about the benefits of “healthy whole grains” for the past 30 years, not fully understanding what has happened at the hands of geneticists and agribusiness. Now these people come along and say, “You know, what you’ve been teaching for 30 years is completely wrong because you’ve overlooked an essential point.”

They are terrified of feeling and looking stupid. Rather than consider the arguments, they spit, yell, and scream to avoid the embarrassment. Human nature.

Good for you, Jean: Join in the fight!

Perhaps you will get: But everybody knows that whole grains are good for you! The Dietary Guidelines for Americans says so!

10. Pingback: June 30, 2012 « CrossFit Motivate | Calgary Personal Trainers | Fitness Training Gym

11. Cate says:

The widespread adoption of a healthy high fat low carb diet that eliminates wheat and would lead to a lean population in the US and Europe and go a long way to eliminating many of the health problems that currently afflict these populations would be a disaster for the economies of these nations. The fast food and general food industries, the wheat and corn farming industries and especially the health and pharmaceutical businesses would all be virtually decimated. To prevent an economic collapse of the gravest nature it is imperative that the current myth of fat being the root of all evil in our society be perpetuated. Wheat is a vital part of the economy. Healthy whole grains mean a healthy economy. Loosen your belts people. Buy and eat more bread and pasta. Wall Street is depending on you to keep the economy strong!

Well said, Cate!

You can see just how deeply this thing has entrenched itself into the economy, reaching far deeper than just the interests of agribusiness. It is so deep that it would indeed be extremely disruptive to the economy if the public rejected wheat wholesale.

Of course, this won’t happen. Wheat will suffer a long and lingering death that will take decades to be fatal.

12. Robert Pellegrino says:

Hi Dr. Davis:
    You mentioned in your book that there was a handout you gave to patients for beginning a wheat free diet. Can someone email me a copy? It would really help. I am on Chapter 9 and thoroughly enjoying the book.
    Am I correct in assuming that Ezekiel Bread is okay to have or is it on the do not eat list?

Hi, Robert–

Search this blog for the Wheat Belly: Quick and Dirty. It’s all listed there.

And, no, Ezekiel bread is made from . . . wheat. There is nothing you can do to not make it wheat, nor disable all the adverse effects of this incredibly destructive thing.