Panic in the Heartland

Bill O’Reilly’s recent vociferous attacks on wheat have earned him a bit of a backlash from Kansas wheat farmers. Here is a report from a Kansas TV station:

Towards the end of the report, listen to the inane comments from Dr. Justin Moore: comments right from the Wheat Lobby playbook, including the argument that people who eliminate wheat lose weight because they eliminate wheat calories. The ignorance about the issues surrounding modern high-yield, semi-dwarf wheat, even among “experts,” is nothing short of astounding. (Reminds me of the PhD Professor of Nutrition and Vice President of Research at an Agribusiness company who told me that “They made dwarf wheat so farmers could see above the fields.” Yeah, no kidding.)

I love that O’Reilly is calling for the U.S. government to issue a public service warning about the health dangers of wheat!

Make no bones about it: Elimination of wheat is the single most powerful strategy for health available to Americans, more powerful than any supplement, drug, or procedure to restore health, eliminate abnormal triggering of appetite and other abnormal mind and emotional effects, lose weight, and obtain relief from a long list of abnormal health conditions. It’s great that media personalities like Mr. O’Reilly is catching on. More are surely to come!

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly counterattacks, Wheat industry. Bookmark the permalink.

201 Responses to Panic in the Heartland

1. Steve says:

I am actually starting to diet today and went to Subway for lunch. After reading a lot of this, I am beginning to wonder if I made a bad choice. I did catch this segment on O’Reilly and I have been reading through this blog. The last time I lost lots of weight was when I jump started it with Atkins then went on to eat carbs again just watching calories. I would like to find out more about this, so I am pondering buying the book but will read around here a little first. Some of the ingredients used in the recipes seem to be things I have never heard of. I worry about things that make it difficult to eat out with friends, etc. But I hope to learn some more. Looking forward to better health, and better nights sleep.

• Rong says:

Buy the book or you won’t know why you are doing the “diet”. Without that knowledge base you will be missing the point entirely. Wheat Belly isn’t just about losing weight. Weight loss is a byproduct of removing wheat (or in my case all grains) from your diet to achieve better health, long term. Read the book and you will know why.

• Linni says:

It’s actually not that hard. When I first went off wheat, I simply stopped eating bread and pasta. I concentrated on meat and veggies, and some fruit. I still don’t eat any Gluten-Free substitute grain products. Going out with friends is not a problem at all and is infact quite easy. We have a favourite pub we walk to where I’ll have a glass of wine and a big burger – without the bun (they are always happy to comply), and either a green salad or steamed veggies. The last time I went there I had a combo plate of wings and ribs.

But I LOVE and MISS a good dark beer!

Have you tried Redbridge or Bard’s, Linni? Both are wheat-free.

The best wheat-free beer I have ever had was at a microbrewery in Madison, Wisconsin, made from chicory.

• Alan says:

I wonder if the German purity-law beer is OK. It presumably has only malted barley, hops and water in it.

• Jean Bush says:

I know; WHAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! I miss my Guiness Stout.

• Catherine says:

Steve….I recently visited family…..we went to Subway….OH NO…..but I ordered the grilled chicken and spinach salad…..it was delicious. In their home they eat yummy sandwiches for lunch with wonderful whole grain breads….OH NO…..but I just took the meat, cheese, wrapped them up and again….delicious and filling…..some even did that at the next lunch and passed on the bread. I’ve even gone to the Olive Garden and ordered the shrimp/scallops and asked the waitress to leave off the pasta…..after a bit of confusion on her part she did it…..again, good and filling. I love hamburgers…..just ask the waiter to leave off the bun…..the beef with toppings is more then enough. I don’t make an issue of it, just request these things matter of factly. If someone asks I’ll elaborate. This type of thing seems to make others feel guilty about their eating choices….I don’t think they realize that but instead will make cracks…….just ignore it and ENJOY feeling soooo much healthier….and losing (or gaining…yes, some do need to gain) weight if you need to.

• Firebird7478 says:

This all you need to know about subs and hoagies. Take away the bread, and it’s a chef salad.

• Marv says:

Hi Steve,
      I’m on the road all the time – this is easy to maintain, just like the others say. The recipes are a new type of cooking to be sure, but very rewarding.
      And the book will teach you things about your health you need to know.
      This works, the weight loss is only a welcome consequence of the health improvement.
      –Marv

Thanks, Wrotek!

• wrotek says:

No Problem Dr Davis. Regarding diabetes, Are You familiar with watercure2.hydration protocol, and how it helped Andrew Bauman with his type 1 diabetes ?

watercure2.org – hydration, Andrew used

Adnrews story is here

Also, are You familiar with caffeine turning into Alloxan, chemical that selectively poisons and kills beta cells of pancreas, used to do it in laboratory ?

Here is Dr Nickel research
          ================================
          “BEYOND HEALTH? News

by Raymond Francis

Diabetes is a disease condition distinguished by an inability to control blood-sugar levels, due to insufficient production of or heightened resistance to the hormone insulin. Interestingly, diabetes researchers induce diabetes in laboratory animals by feeding them small doses of a chemical called alloxan. Alloxan poisons insulin-producing cells in the pancreas, killing those cells and thus creating the conditions of diabetes. Knowing this, imagine the surprise of Dr. Alfred Nickel, an oral surgeon with degrees in biochemistry and pharmacology, who discovered in the scientific literature that alloxan is produced in the body from caffeine. Dr. Nickel theorized that caffeine could be a significant cause of diabetes in humans. People who consume a lot of caffeine will produce a lot of alloxan; this could cause diabetes or make existing diabetes worse.

Dr. Nickel was a heavy coffee drinker himself and had also developed adult diabetes. His diabetes got worse over time, and he was taking insulin to manage his disease. He decided to experiment?first on himself. He went off of all caffeine; after two weeks he was able to go off of insulin, and has remained off ever since! This had a profound effect on Dr. Nickel’s health in general. His eyesight returned to where it had been fifteen years prior and his energy levels soared. He then passed this information on to his patients, and 40 out of 45 diabetics were able to reverse their disease by removing caffeine from their diet. Dr. Nickel witnessed patients, who were so sick with diabetes they were unable to climb up stairs, suddenly able to throw away their crutches away and run! He observed blood glucose levels return to normal after only a few weeks on a caffeine-free diet.

Caffeine consumption in the US is now at pharmacological (medically significant) levels. The dose of caffeine that will produce noticeable biological effects is roughly 200 mg. The average per capita consumption is now 206 mg/day, however, someone consuming 6 to 8 cups of coffee per day can be getting as much as 4000 mg/day. Due to biochemical individuality, some people are more or less tolerant to specific toxins than others. Those who are less tolerant to caffeine-produced alloxan, will likely get sick.
          Alloxan is a free radical generator. Free radicals are known to damage the body, causing it to age and develop disease, including cancer. Since alloxan damages the pancreas, it may specifically be a contributor to pancreatic cancer. In fact, while Dr. Nickel and I were discussing this topic on my radio show, a woman called in and told us about her husband who died of pancreatic cancer after consuming as many as 16 cups of coffee a day for many years.
          Many caffeinated products are popular with kids, and diabetes is rapidly growing in that age group. Medical experts have expressed alarm at the increasing rates of adult diabetes found in children. Meanwhile, caffeine has blossomed into a multi-billion dollar industry, largely aimed at teens and college students. Manufacturers are putting it into just about everything they can think of. Wrigley has a chewing gum in which one stick contains the caffeine equivalent of a cup of coffee. Pepsi and Coke have always contained substantial amounts of caffeine, and these companies have other products (Mountain Dew and Surge) with even higher quantities. Jolt Cola, a soda aimed at the 15-21 year-old market, contains 50 percent more caffeine than other sodas and continues to increase in its popularity. Jolt Cola even has a candy called Jolt, which is advertised as, “America’s most powerful candy.” Even orange juice and bottled water are now available in caffeinated versions. A few years ago, Celestial Seasonings introduced a highly caffeinated “Fast Lane Tea.” Caffeine is a prolific toxin in our diet, and consumption keeps going up!
          While there is rarely a single cause of disease, it appears that caffeine is a major contributor to disease. Caffeine is a significant contributor to our epidemic of diabetes, depression, and perhaps pancreatic cancer as well as other diseases. Interestingly, it is well known that caffeine can produce a “high,” but less known that it can also cause depression. So why consume all this caffeine? Because we need it to get through the day. The U.S. population is not healthy, and we lack the boundless energy of traditionally healthy populations. Instead, we look to stimulants like caffeine to rev up the system. This is like constantly whipping a tired horse-eventually that horse will collapse.
          Anyone with diabetes should absolutely avoid all caffeine from any source. Those wishing to prevent diabetes should sharply limit caffeine intake from coffee, soft drinks, tea, chocolate, or any other source. The damage done to the pancreas by alloxan from caffeine is cumulative; the longer it goes on, and the more caffeine one ingests, the more irreparable damage is done. Even decaffeinated products should be avoided, because the decaffinating process removes only the unbound, soluble caffeine. These products still contain a bound form of caffeine that is capable of producing alloxan.
          Raymond Francis is an M.I.T.-trained scientist, a registered nutrition consultant, author of Never Be Sick Again, host of the Beyond Health Show and an internationally recognized leader in the emerging field of optimal health maintenance. “

• Jean Bush says:

That’s all very interesting but it is not stated how many cups a day he drank nor for how many years. Nor what the rest of his dietary habits consisted of. According to Wikipedia, the risk factors include:

Risk factors for pancreatic cancer may include:[5][11]
            Family history: 5–10% of pancreatic cancer patients have a family history of pancreatic cancer. The genes have not been identified. Pancreatic cancer has been associated with the following syndromes: autosomal recessive ataxia-telangiectasia and autosomal dominantly inherited mutations in the BRCA2 gene and PALB2 gene, Peutz-Jeghers syndrome due to mutations in the STK11 tumor suppressor gene, hereditary non-polyposis colon cancer (Lynch syndrome), familial adenomatous polyposis, and the familial atypical multiple mole melanoma-pancreatic cancer syndrome (FAMMM-PC) due to mutations in the CDKN2A tumor suppressor gene.[12][13] There may also be a history of familial pancreatitis.[12]
            Age. The risk of developing pancreatic cancer increases with age. Most cases occur after age 60, while cases before age 40 are uncommon.
            Smoking. Cigarette smoking has a risk ratio of 1.74 with regard to pancreatic cancer; a decade of nonsmoking after heavy smoking is associated with a risk ratio of 1.2.[14]
            Diets low in vegetables and fruits[15]
            Diets high in red meat. Processed meat consumption is positively associated with pancreatic cancer risk, and red meat consumption was associated with an increased risk of pancreatic cancer in men.[16]
            Diets high in sugar-sweetened drinks (soft drinks).[17] In particular, the common soft drink sweetener fructose has been linked to growth of pancreatic cancer cells.[18]
            Obesity[19]
            Diabetes mellitus is both risk factor for pancreatic cancer, and, as noted earlier, new onset diabetes can be an early sign of the disease.[clarification needed how much]
            Chronic pancreatitis has been linked, but is not known to be causal. The risk of pancreatic cancer in individuals with familial pancreatitis is particularly high.
            Helicobacter pylori infection[20][21]
            Gingivitis or periodontal disease[22]
            I’ve never heard of caffeine causing depression and some citations and links would be appreciated.

And processed and cured meats are totally different than fresh red meat. You cannot lump the two together with any scientific validity.

And as for your link regarding Andrew’s water cure, anyone who refuses to drink even a couple of glasses of water a day is asking for trouble. The dose makes the poison and too much of anything can kill, even water.

Jean

• wrotek says:

thank You Jean 4 Your reply.

It is true we dont know how much coffee Dr Nickel drank, but you can get some idea from “avid coffee drinker”.

The Difficulty of regulating sugar after wheat is one thing, but directly damaged pancreas will do even worse job.
            I dont know how high blood sugar alone damages pancreas, but i suspect it is because of circulatory problems.
            Do U perhaps know how high blood sugar causes circulatory problems ? I have read vaguely somewhere that it affects how proteins work.

I dont believe genes solely cause cancer . Why ? Because it is simply not possible for the body not to develop cancer, there are so many cells, chemical interactions, bacteria etc….
            Dr Burzynski from Burzynski Cancer Clinic says, that statistically 1 per 10 000 cells may develop wrong way, but we have cancer protective mechanisms.

So, only when our anticancer system fails, we are susceptible to cancer causing carcinogens. Unless the dose is reeeealy high, like with radiation or pesticide, or sth like that.

Regarding hydration…
            Many ppl focus on what solids they eat, few on what they drink. After all , water is boring. Thirst and polyuria is so evident in diabetes. Another reason body gets dehydrated and further damage occurs. So wheat may actually contribute to dehydrations since glucose is a diuretic, is not it ?

Gingivitis or periodontal disease are most probably spirochetal diseases. There are two doctors on youtube that study this phenomenon. One is oral surgeon and other a dentist. I suffer from Lyme Disease so I know a little bit about spirochetes :) Dr Nordquist wrote 2 books on the subject.

Here are their profiles

Regarding caffeine causing depression…Watercure2.org folks postulate that depression is brain dehydration. If U read testimonials there U will see effects
            Here is study that caffeine decreases brain blood flow by up to 32%

• Jean Bush says:

Hello Wrotek,
            Sorry to be so long getting back to you; been very busy both at work and at home. I’ll answer your comment as soon as I get a chance to study your links.

Thanks very much for your interesting reply; please be patient with me:)

Jean

• Jean Bush says:

Hello Wrotek,
            The CBF and caffine study was facinating, thanks for sharing that. Although the median age was 26 healthy young adults, I would like to see the study duplicated on a wide range of participants, from 20 to 70, with differential studies of diabetics, bi-polar and generally healthy people. I would like to see them tested for alertness and memory after consumption. I assume the caffine was pure, untainted by additives of sugar and or milk/cream which would have different effects. I drink about 3 cups a day, first 2 with cream and sugar at home then one just with half and half at work. I can’t tell if I’m any more alert or not, however, since I’m a woman and my CBF is naturally higher then yours, it hardly matters, Hahahaha! Sorry, how could I resist?

It’s late but tomorrow I shall look at your watercure2 site and see what it’s about. I thoroughly enjoy our exchanges and hope we can continue.

Jean

• Jean Bush says:

Hello Steve,
      You’ve gotten a lot of replies so I’ll be brief: It’s 11am here in Hollywood CA and starting my 3rd day without wheat. I feel 100% better, espcially since my moods have stablized. I have twice the energy I used to, (I’m 63) and find this new way of eating quite an adventure. I do miss toast with breakfast but am substituting boiled potatoes or grits with butter and cheese with my eggs.

Ralph’s out here has an entire section devoted to wheat free flours and pancake mixes. Do read the book, I just ordered it off Amazon, it will clarify your purpose and make things easier as you go along.
      Please keep us posted under this comment section on your progress.

Jean

2. Sharon says:

Dr. Davis is literally savings lives with the knowledge he imparts in the Wheat Belly book. I personally have lost 25 lbs since mid February and am well on my way to achieving my goal of another 25 lbs. Yes, I have eliminated worthless calories of many kinds, but giving up wheat has turned my life around. In comparing bloodwood from one year ago to what I had done several weeks ago, my bad cholesterol has gone down from 200 to 177! How great is that?? I feel wonderful, my knees don’t hurt anymore, my complexion is much better – just about everything he states in the book!! I’m determined that THIS time the pounds will stay off!
    When I’m in the market now watching heavy people riding around the store putting a ton of wheat-filled items in their baskets, I feel sooo tempted to tell them to give up all that stuff and you won’t need to ride around the market! I’ve bought copies of the book to share with family and friends, as I am a true believer! I have a 2-year old granddaughter that I want to enjoy and love for many years to come, and I don’t want her to remember me as the old fat grandma! Dr. Davis, I don’t know if you will see my note, and I post regularly through blogs, but I want to say “thank you.” And for those naysayers out there – unless you try this, you won’t believe it – don’t be “doubting Thomas” – believe in it because you have seen the results with your own eyes!!

Excellent, Sharon!

Yes, the real point of much of this is to not allow the same things to happen to our children and grandchildren.

We do not want our children to retrace our steps to weight gain, joint pains, gastrointestinal struggles, and all the other varied and destructive effects of following national advice to “eat more healthy whole grains.” If we pass this message onto younger people, we will have accomplished a great goal.

• Roger says:

Either our Genetic Strengths or Weakness, will be passed on, to include our habits, diatary and life-style.

Roger, OHIO

3. Graham says:

LOL you think it’s bad over there, just wait until Italians start getting told that bread, pastries, pasta and, yes, pizza are bad for them, regrettably the fact is that in all countries a whole lot of people will be loath to change their eating habits and would be quite happy to deny the evidence even at cost to their health. I was speaking to a French friend the other day and told her to read Wheat Belly and make her own mind up, however I fear the thought of having to forgo her beloved French bread is enough to keep her away from the book.

I am currently listening to “Good Calories, Bad Calories” and have been quite frankly amazed by what I’ve heard so far. Don’t miss out on it, after you’ve read Wheat Belly of course :-)

• Roger says:

If some cultures still want to consume wheat, they can modify with older stands, or, curse themselves and allow the sins of the Mothers and Fathers to fall on their children. A high price to pay, for acquired taste and force of cultual tradition.

Roger, OHIO

4. Linni says:

I read Wheat Belly in one sitting in February and dropped wheat that day. My husband followed 2 weeks later. (For 2 weeks I still made whole wheat bread for him – my former speciality – that I did not eat.) My husband has struggled with high cholesterol and weight issues for a long time, was put on Lipitor briefly – until one day he couldn’t literally- get out of bed. (He is 64). He met the local dietician who counselled him on a low-fat diet. (Some of what she said was good – salmon, veggies). But that low- fat, ‘healthy whole grains’ approach didn’t work. His numbers kept worsening.

Three months into the wheat belly diet, his blood was taken, and his doctor was astonished! His numbers are way better than they’ve been – even better than his early baseline. His doc asked, “What are you doing?”

His answer – “I’m eating butter and steak and bacon and cream in my coffee, oh, and NO wheat.”

His story is much like O’Reilly’s.

• Roger says:

Linni,

I would not have made it out of my 50′s had I not read and impliment Dr. Davis recommendations!

Just follow what the Dr. says, and things will clear up for the both of you!

God Bless,

Roger, OHIO

Excellent, spectacular, and wonderlicious, Linni!

And “read Wheat Belly in one sitting”? Perhaps I should have digressed into some Roman and Greek wheat history!

5. Melanie Rock says:

The “nutritionist” only refers to gluten in his comments, and doesn’t address the gliadin issue, so obviously he hasn’t been listening. Also, does he think eating fewer calories are why O’Reilly’s other health issues went away? What a joke:)

6. JoEllen Livingston says:

I recently read Wheat Belly and have started this new way of life – and my health is improving every day. My comment is, when I followed the email link to watch this video on Bill O’Reilly’s comments, the little commercial that I had to watch before the video was for BISQUICK. Anybody else find that ironic??

Ironic to the max, JoEllen!

Big Food, Agribusiness, as well as Big Pharma, control the message. This is why it is so important for you and others like-minded have these conversations: We are among the newly empowered, rejecting their message.

7. Jeanne says:

Hi Uncle!

I don’t see you post nearly enough….always an excellent read.
    Yes, in addition to your informative post, the medical community has finally come to accept that gluten grains ( includes wheat) have a direct correlatioon to Tyoe 1 diabetes and autoimmune thyroid disease. I had Graves disease in 1987! No doubt gluten grain induced.

I remember back in about 1999-2005, the medical establishment pooh-poohed the information in your and my posts….fast forward and what do ya know?…this information is now mainstream and my friends ( medical and not) aren’t thinking I am a crazy nurse who fell down the alternative medicine rabbit hole! Lol

I actually had had close friends recently tell me that they thought I was a little crazy for espousing these beliefs in years past. Now they are low carb and coming to grain free….

• Uncle Roscoe says:

Thanks for the props, Jeanne. Gluten free will be your friends’ gain. What’s done is done. The future looks bright.

I had Graves disease as well, with a blossoming case of LADA diabetes. I’m one of the gluten-free autoimmune types who’s zonulin switch is stuck in the “on” position. Whatever proteins and sugars I eat go straight to my organs and nerves. I’m on a very limited diet. Tweaking it has taught me a lot about food components.

I worry just as much about type 2 diabetics. They’re truly addicted, and for the most part, locked into a collision course with cancer.

8. Swan says:

Is it necessary, in your opinion, for those of us who are eliminating wheat (but are not Celiac) to avoid products that are potentially cross-contaminated? I see a lot of allergy warnings saying “processed in a plant that also processes wheat/gluten” etc. Is it essential to avoid those products, or is the amount low enough that it doesn’t really have an impact?
    Thank you!
    Swan

Dr. Davis has commented on this at:
      “That’s probably benign, …, for anybody except the most extremely gluten-sensitive. This likely refers to the issue of “cross-contamination,” i.e., there may be minor residues of wheat that derive from a wheat product being produced in the same facility, not as an actual ingredient.”

Hi, Swan–

Cross-contamination is an issue only for the most gluten-sensitive, which does not include 90% of us trying to avoid wheat.

The minor contaminants are not an issue for the majority, only those of us who have the most severe sensitivity.

9. Elene Murray says:

What a shame that they chose a ‘professional’ that is not educated on current research. No one digests wheat. Wheat causes not only celiac , but a host of other auto-immune disorders.
    and

10. Rebecca Foxworth says:

“Towards the end of the report, listen to the inane comments from Dr. Justin Moore: comments right from the Wheat Lobby playbook, including the argument that people who eliminate wheat lose weight because they eliminate wheat calories.”

Nevermind the fact that even if it DID mean a reduction in calories that would explain the weight loss, that wouldn’t explain the changes in his allergies, energy level, sleep, or anything else that he mentioned there. The argument for calories in/calories out doesn’t explain all the other changes that he details. I guess they just figured it would be best to gloss over that part?

Yes, Rebecca: Dodging the important issues seems to be their modus operandi.

Inane, indeed!

11. J says:

Why anyone listens to this so called “conservative” blow-hard is beyond me. (No, I’m not a liberal either). Who cares as to what he says or does? It’s not necessarily the wheat, but the fact that most of it is poisoned with genetically modified seeds, pesticides and herbicides–which has gotten us into the freaking mess we’re in now in the first place. Just another crackhead pundit trying to force mental starvation on the nation. What happens when the government decides to ration your food? Or waste it making “new and renewable forms of energy”? We already have hungry and homeless…who would give anything for a slice of wheat bread. While I agree that most grains are not good for the body as a whole, it’s not the be all and end all dogma.

• Stephan says:

Read the actual science, ma’am. Even the studies that the low-fat, healthy whole grain supporters quote do NOT support their conclusions. If you don’t want to wade through the data yourself, then read Gary Taubes’ Good Calories,Bad Calories and he will walk you through it. What Bill does for a living has nothing to do with the benefits he is extolling here. Even rational minded (?) independents like yourself would benefit from eliminating wheat…. Unless you are not human?

12. Michelle Stieb says:

I totally disagree that it’s about eating less calories as per the dietition in the video. Since being off wheat the beginning of January, we eat whatever we want and that includes some days, hand-fuls of nuts!! They are not low calorie. We’ve actually come off of all grains and legumes. I have no more pain in my knuckles, I sleep better, lost about 5 lbs, better yet: I’m changing my shape from an apple to a pear. My husband has lost over 25 lbs and no longer gets the urge to nap in the afternoon. Of course we probably overall eat less than before, but we aren’t hungry like we were before. This lifestyle has revolutionized our lives!! Thank you Dr. Davis!! Keep strong and keep sending out your message. God knows we have been telling everybody that we care about, about this book and how it changed our lives. Thanks again!!

Wonderful, Michelle: “Revolutionized” is the operant word.

The proclaimed “Green Revolution” that heralded high-yield, semi-dwarf wheat devolved into a metabolic mess, rounded out by the worst epidemic of obesity and diabetes ever witnessed in the history of mankind.

Yet you transform and apple into a pear: Alchemy, to be sure!

13. Pingback: Found today...

14. Kati says:

Since giving up wheat about 3 months ago, I have gone down 2 dress sizes. This is after being unable to lose any weight for over several years. It is now shedding off me. I am still eating 100% rye bread or rye-chia mixture, but rarely eat any other grains. My food cravings have stopped, my blood sugar levels seem to much more stable than ever and I don’t get massive highs and lows. I used to struggle with embarrassing perspiration and itchiness, but it’s it’s all in the past now. I can tell when I have even a little bit of wheat now as my waistline swells up immediately. And wheat is in everything, from BBQ sauce, Ketchup, icecream…it’s almost impossible to find anything in a store that does not have wheat!!

However, I believe that my diet has been a massive contribution of getting sick. I remember the first time I came to Australia on holiday I ended up having massive GI issues, and 3 months after moving here, it all kicked up. I’ve heard that the wheat here is modified to include more gluten so that it can grow here. Not sure how accurate this is, but I struggle much more here than anywhere else. I also found that wheat aggravated my arthritis, making the inflammation much worse.

I have also given up dairy as I have had problems with it since early childhood although not found allergic or lactose intolerant – the biggest mystery ever but it makes me really sick. Since giving up dairy as well I have noticed my skin improving and even though it’s winter, it is less dry than it has been over a decade.

I know that I will eventually have to give up processed sugar, but I am still enjoying my gluten free treats (my guilty pleasures). I know this will not last forever, but finding it very hard to take on this last bit of the change, especially since I am still losing weight.

I think my problem is that I also react to several other foods, such as nuts and some fruits to various degrees. I try to buy organic to avoid all preservatives, which I also react to, but it is quite expensive.

I recently had a homeopathic allergy test done. I figured, just as well, since traditional medicine hasn’t been able to help me with the food issues and arthritis. I was surprised to see how accurately it pointed out all the foods/items, including wheat and dairy as the main culprits, that I thought I react to. It even pointed out all the seasonal allergies identified my prick tests…I also have an appointment with an allergist next month so what they can discover….It wil be interesting!

Excellent, Kati!

At this rate, don’t shop for a new wardrobe just yet. Wait until you plateau, else you may find yourself many more dress sizes smaller!

15. Denny says:

I can’t believe the “Dietician”, and I use that term loosely, used the argument that we subsidize wheat so we should eat it or we will have a big surplus. maybe the answer is that we shouldn’t be subsidizing wheat and other grains at all!!! Think of all the non-starchy vegetables that could be grown on all those wheat acres. Not only that but then a lot of our veggies wouldn’t be coming from foreign countries.

16. Yak says:

Sorry for the long post in advance.

Here is my story thus far.

FIrst of all I am a 23 year old former college football player who let himself get too big while playing football.
    I started the wheat belly diet about 2 1/2 weeks ago after reading the book on May 27th. Since then I have lost ~17 pounds(I am also doing the cardio program insanity). I had been doing insanity for three weeks prior to reading wheat belly and had only lost about 6 pounds. Even with my friends asking me how I have lost weight so quickly and me explaining wheat belly they are skeptical and unwilling to give up their “healthy whole grains” and their pastas. They tell me that my carbs need to come from grains. I ask them why? Why get your carbs from heavily processed grains when you can get them from veggies, nuts, fruits, etc.

This book has changed my life. I shudder when I think about some of the things I used to eat and the hold that certain foods had over me. It got to the point that if I didn’t have something sweet before bed I couldn’t sleep. Some nights it was an apple but most nights it was a pack of cookies or some candy. I love the fact that my body tells me when it is really hungry now. I still see people saying that you need to eat x amount of calories to lose weight. I used to try to follow strict guidelines like that and saw little to no results. Without writing down any numbers I am able to enjoy REAL foods like meats, cheeses, vegetables, and nuts and still lose weight.

Wheat belly has changed me from being a person who lived to eat to a person that eats to fuel his body.
    I still have about 50 pounds to go before I reach my weight loss goal but I am confident that I will get there.

I have also experienced some amazing results for things that I never expected to happen.

Acid Reflux- Pretty much gone.
    Stuffy nose/mucus/congestion- gone
    Sleepless nights- Gone
    Bloated feeling- Gone
    Mild Depression/anxiety- Slowly creeping away

I commend you sir.

That is truly wonderful, Yak!

I am thrilled that you learned this lesson at age 23. Most NEVER learn this lesson . . . until their colon cancer, joint replacement, 20 years of diabetes medication and diabetic complications, or heart attack.

Please keep us updated on your progress!

17. Rong says:

I saw this on FoxNews web site and it is the first article I have found on celiac disease in the mass media. Of course, the advice is that if you don’t have it you shouldn’t remove gluten from your diet because you might miss important vitamins and minerals. Like these can’t possibly be gotten from any other food. However, they did say that diabetics should consider going gluten free (duh!) as studies show that type I and II diabetics do better without it. Anyway, I was surprised to see the article. :http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/14/signs-celiac-disease/?intcmp=features

18. I have been surfing online more than 3 hours
    today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours.
    It is pretty worth enough for me. In my opinion, if
    all site owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the
    internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

19. Rainbow Rider says:

LOL, Bill O’Reilly and I actually agree on something!

20. Wheatwhacker says: