On again, off again

Alex left this comment that perfectly describes the on again, off again phenomenon of wheat consumption:

I’m in my late 40s and have had IBD/Crohns diagnosed for several years after being hospitalised over a scary event. I’ve had abdominal pains for years and years without any apparent cause (beyond the usual poor lifestyle choices.

I changed my diet and lifestyle to remove most of the bad stuff and increased my consumption of whole wheat grains because that’s what I believed was the healthy thing to do.

No change – just the same pain and now adding weight!

My sister, who is vastly more knowledgeable on these matters, relayed the advice she had received for similar complaint: cut all wheat out. . . Now! So I did!

I’ve found my abdominal pains have mostly disappeared (YAY!), my gastro health much improved and as a nice additional benefit, I’ve dropped around 20 pounds in around 4 months to reach 180 pounds so far.

THEN I found and read your book “Wheat Belly”. Great read. :)

So I took the test – from several months of pain free condition, ate 2 slices of whole grain twice, 24 hrs apart.

Well after a couple of hours, abdominal muscle pain, internal cramping, inflammed back end, gas, all the familiar and not so welcome conditions I remember very well. Getting worse ’til 24 hrs after last wheat.

48 hrs after last eating wheat and mostly back to a comfortable state. I was NOT imagining it.
Would I eat wheat again? NO SIR.

Now I know what’s going on !

In other words, re-exposure to wheat that recreates all the unwanted symptoms that you used to experience is proof-positive of a cause-effect situation. Alex re-experienced all the phenomena attributed to his Crohn’s disease and irritable bowel syndrome, all back with a vengeance with just a few slices of whole grain bread.

Elimination of modern semi-dwarf wheat, the brainchild of genetics research in the 1970s, is not just about weight loss; it is about relief from an astounding array of health conditions from hypertension to dementia. And they are all subject to this on again, off again effect if there is any doubt.

This entry was posted in Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to On again, off again

1. Val McCoy says:

That’s fantastic for you. I have been off wheat for few weeks and have not lost 1 pound. I did feel bloated when I had 2 slices of ww bread though just to see the difference. But the weightloss is just not happening. Lil frustrated! I read about others having such great success.

• Val says:

Val,

i had the same problem initially (hmmm…you don’t think it’s the name do you??). I lost 3lbs immediately and then nothing for several weeks. That was the first of April. As of this week I have lost 15 lbs. Not as much as some are able to drop but still very good. I think my biggest problem has been that I have been wheated several times. I still have some stomach pain which tells me there is more going on but overall I feel better and my blood sugar is dropping.
      In short: Don’t give up! Keep at it! The weight loss may be slow. Try to keep your carbs under 20 grams for weight loss. Limit nuts (one of my downfalls) for weightloss. Other that that, love yourself enough to not quit!

(The Other WheatBelly) Val

• Roger says:

Val,

Please give it time.

My multitude of symptoms went on vacation, before I lost much weight.

You did not gain weight and intoxicate your body over night, and it will not be over night that you will lose weight.

My weight loss is now steady, as the pounds and inches are melting off–and this time, I am not killing myself doing dangerous over-do-its at the gym, but the loss is steady, as my body has to adjust to burning the un-spent carbohydrates that have been stored for years. Also, the fat or adipose tissue, its self, is toxic, and weight loss is most healthy, slow and steady–as your filtering organs have to adjust to not being assaulted by Wheat and can adjust to handle toxins, as you lose weight.

I do recomend exercise, for you want to keep muscle, as you burn carbs. As the saying goes: “Building Muscle, Burns Fat.” As your muscles are broken down, in the break down, repair and re-build process, (the “process”) burns fuel, in order to do so. If you can, total body aerobics, especially a kick-boxing type–not only is fun, building, but you can learn to use your body in ways that you never thought possible. Many social relationships are built in this manner, also.

Unless you are diagnosed with a Thyroid or Para Thyroid problem (or something else), if you follow Dr. Davis, per Wheat Belly, you will lose the weight, as you lose the Wheat. Be pro-Active, and read all Dr. Davis has to say, concerning diet modifications–and your body will do the rest.

Moreover, you may want to vist some older posts at this site, as many relay their sucess stories, and some do not, but Dr. Davis has advice in his comments.

Roger, OHIO

2. Rong says:

Message heard, lesson learned. I had my birthday yesterday and one of the very special things my son brought me was a Key Lime Pie. It literally is an award winning pie made here locally. It is fantastic. However, Key Lime is made with a graham cracker crust on the bottom. To the astonishment of those at the table, I ate the pie filling and left the crust. No matter how tempting, it was just not going to happen. It was compromise enough to have something with sugar in it (though very little as this particular pie is very, very tart). The wheat? HELL NO!

• Roger says:

Rong,

The punishment to my mind and body are too great!

Grains can go back to the pit of fire and brim stone, from whence they emerged!

Roger, OHIO

• Marv says:

Exactly! The flavor’s in the filling not the wrapper (pies, sandwiches, fajitas, whatever)! Use a knife&fork and damn their wheat! (rant over, thank you).

• Roger says:

Never thought I would see the day when the bag or box that a wheat product came in, is more tasty, healthy and satisfying than the intended product!

My rule of thumb: If it has a shelf life of a petrified rock, bacteria will not touch it, and especially if a branch of the Federal Govt. apporoves, endorces or other wize sanctions it, not only do not eat it, run like hell. A McDonlald’s Hamburger is one of the best examples I can think of, as one does not even have to apply the ancient Egyptian Mummification process to it, for it to last a Milinia.

Roger, OHIO

• Cindi says:

Marv…I’ve been saying that for years pretty much. Mine usually goes something like this….It isn’t the pasta…it is what you put ON that pasta that tastes good. When people complain that they can’t have sandwiches anymore or “how do you do lunch with no sandwich?” I just want to smack them. Do they really not have an imagination? This is NOT rocket science.

3. Heather says:

I am on again off again. I can’t seem to stick to it for more than 3weeks but I feel oh so better when I am off

4. Elena says:

I have had a similar experience just the other day. After beeing wheat-free the last 18 months with only a very few exeptions (and then very small bites) I ate a small slice of newly baked bread my sin just had made. An hour later the gas started and the next morning I had really severe stomach pains. The kind that makes you revisit Lamaze breathing and at one point I was on the verge of calling my husband to come pick me up and drive me home.Needless to say my three bathroom visits that same morning wasn´t much fun either.
    Staying off wheat is becoming easier and easier. ;-)

5. Sandy says:

I have been wheat/grain free for over a year and for the most part absolutely love the way I feel. Last night, in a moment of utter weakness, I ate a small bowl of organic corn chips. Hey! They’re organic, right? How bad can they be?
    Gratefully, today is a sunny, warm day and I’m working in my garden so only the tomatoes are subjected to the sulfuric clouds following me! Lesson learned; I cannot tolerate ANY grains in my diet. Not if I want to keep my friends! “-))

6. JoAnne says:

Alex was braver than I am. I’ve been wheat-free for 4 months. People from all over flock to my church’s annual June carnival for their fried dough made fresh & piping hot right in front of you, then it’s smothered in powdered sugar. This was my first ‘test’ to confirm my wheat sensitivities. I was too afraid to eat an entire fried dough, but I thought I’d be safe with a tiny portion. I ate 2 bites. The next morning my acid reflux, post nasal drip, nauseous stomach, and blurry vision were back with a vengeance. I cringe to think of what would have happened if I’d eaten the whole thing!

Yup.

The re-exposure reactions can indeed be nasty. That’s because modern wheat is poison. Repeated consumption induces tolerance to some effects, but not immunity. A poison remains a poison, but you can become somewhat used to the effects.

I say be rid of the thing once and for all!

7. Kathy says:

Hi, I had a similar experience. I was off wheat for about a month when I decided to eat some sprouted grain raisin bread (2 slices) as a base for tuna melts. I was miserable for the entire night and next day. I had talked myself into them thinking they were sprouted grain, therefore healthy. Pshaw. Only if I think worshipping the throne frequently for 18 hours is healthy. The first symptom was a migraine headache so I went to bed for a nap and to rest. When I got up I was unable to sleep well the rest of the night d/t dyspepsia, gas, the Big D. I think I lost 2 lbs in fluid.

This totally explains my entire history of LOVING pasta with meat sauce and regretting it after. I do seem to tolerate corn though. If I can find corn chips without any other grain added, that is. My father suffered with colitis and all manner of GI problems. This is probably hereditary. I’ve actually lost over 10 lbs and an entire size in the past 3-4 weeks.

Excellent, Kathy!

Many of us learn our lessons the hard way. The key is to learn from your experience . . . then never do it again!

8. ellen says:

As part of my job I was asked to bake regular wheat muffins for a business breakfast. Bakers routinely taste batter, etc. before baking to make sure it tastes right. Since I’ve been wheat/grain free since February, my plan was to taste, but not swallow.

When I put a small dot of batter on my tongue, I was stunned. It tasted and felt like something toxic, and I rushed to the garbage and spit it out as quickly as if it were poison—-which, of course, it was. Then I rinsed my mouth. I couldn’t believe how unexpectedly horrible that wheat batter tasted and felt on my tongue. Now I really have no temptation to wheat cheat.

(By the way, just in case anyone might question—–the clients thought the muffins were delicious.)

• Cece4184 says:

Ellen, why not make GF muffins next time? There are some wonderful mixes out there, and no one would know the difference!

• allisonk says:

I found the same thing…. wheat things I used to enjoy just are not very good anymore and in fact I found myself trying something for old times sake and spitting it out because it was gross. I wonder if it was the same psychological mechanism that made me also think greasy food was disgusting back in my low-fat days, or if it’s really actually gross.

• pam says:

@allisonk,

the greasy food was probably really gross. as most of them are fried in high Omega 6 seed oil.
        i found MUFA & SFA tend to be less tacky. (easier to clean too)

(i believe i had been accidentally “glutened” by 2 small pieces of fish cake recently — migraine, bloating, neck ache, shoulder ache.)

regards,

• allisonk says:

Right… but what I really meant was cutting fat off the meat, buying lean everything. Cooking up hamburger had to drain off all the grease, my sister actually would rinse her hamburger in a colander to get it all off. Bacon had to be as grease-less as possible ….. anything fat was ewwww.

• pam says:

@Alisonk,
            oh, wow, rinsing hamburger after cooking?
            even during my fat -phobia “healthy” days, i was never very fanatic,
            regards,

Interesting, Ellen!

You have released yourself from the evil spell!

9. Roger says:

Great Post!

People that do not, nor have not had bow problems, can never grasp the social stress and physical pain, that goes along with it.

Bow problems, alone, without any other symptoms, can be a living nightmare–and the other symptoms just adds to the misery!

As I have written before, if the only thing that cleared up, was the bow problems–when I stopped consuming wheat, my life could have been more tolerable, if the other symptoms would have not cleared up, also.

Bow problems were my life long embarrasment, and I learned to hide it and live with it.

Reading these posts have been very encouraging, as these are measurable real life situations, that involve real people and real pain and suffering. Once people understand that Genetic Modified Wheat is addicting and causes multiple symptoms, and/or exacerbates existing symptoms, people can understand the reationle in their minds, and can make a choice, based on evidence, not emotion or fad. No one but Dr. Davis, has tied all the availble information together, connected the major dots–and has made it easier to understand–how the body actually works, or does not work, on wheat toxins.

Once this is understood, it is easier to part company with all other things evil, like Aspartame and Genetic Modified Soy. Bad as they are, Wheat Belly made me aware of something far far worse!

There are some that I have tried to tell, that blow me off. Some will not look at the facts, and issue arguments that boarder or cross the rubicon of insanity. Some do listen, and look at the facts. Reguardless, I am going to model a health and appearance that no one can deny.

Also, there is a fringe benefit that may need looked into, or processed in a more consise manner: THE IMMUNE SYSTEM AND RECOVERY RATE. I just had a physical set back, involving brain, spinal and body trauma, and I am able to recover at much faster rate, as if I were in my mid-twenties! I know my current immune system and healing rate is at optimum speed, mostly in part, due to being free of Wheat toxins.

At this point, I cannot be a part of, or buy a wheat-based product for some one, just to keep, maintain or build social contacts. Knowing what I do, about wheat–and like Frankenfoods, I cannot and will not do it. I just politely say, my wife and I do not comsume man made toxins, such as Genetic Modifed Wheat. Depending on their minds, that could be an open or closed statement. Reguardless, it will make them think!

Roger, OHIO

• allisonk says:

And if people do not care to comply to your wishes, they aren’t worth building social contacts with anyways.

• Neicee says:

Gary Taubes is another of my heros. Thanks for the link. Ran onto a site yesterday from another heart specialist in Denver (somewhere along the lines of Denverdietdoctor. com = sorry, from memory). The more medical experts we get on board the better. Dr. Davis is no longer the lone voice in the wilderness.

10. Neicee says:

Found it. His name is Dr. Jeffry N. Gerber @ denversdietdoctor.com. A PDF file on his site was edited by Gary Taubes. I also follow Dr. Attia @ waroninsulin.com = now renamed. Dr. Attia’s site carries some great advice for athletes and those working out heavily. It’s so science based that I’ve had to read some of the articles 2-3 times. Obviously, I’m not an athlete nor doctor. ;)

11. wrotek says:

Dear Dr Davis, Can bread contain some potato flour ?
    And contribute additionally to inflammation with solanine toxicity ?

Gluten-free breads are often made with potato flour.

I’ve never heard of solanine toxicity. What is it?

• wrotek says:

Solanine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanine
        is a glycoalkaloid poison, one of the many glycoalkaloid poisons in the nighshade plant family. Nightshade plants were incorporated into the human diet and they consist of potato(solanine, chaconine, other alkaloids), tomato (alkaloid tomatine), tobacco, paprika and paprika peppers(cayenne, chilli), eggplant .
        Here is some info presented in interesting way

What makes them additionally dangerous is that they are fat soluble and accumulate.

Here is paper on how much normal (not green) potatos can contain

Here are some testimonials how nighshades can affect people

• wrotek says:

Here is how they can contribute to arthritis

Thanks, Wrotek. Very interesting stuff.

• wrotek says:

My pleasure

• Uncle Roscoe says:

Solanine is a clear and present danger to autoimmune types, including me.

IMHO wheat, potato, and bean sensitivity along with fructose problems are the reason why low carb diets like Atkins work. Victim dieters cut back on all carbs, and that cuts them back on these biggies. Other carbs matter, just not much in comparison.

• wrotek says:

here is one testimonial i like personally
            =========================================
            I have been sick for so long that I had given up hope of ever feeling better. I have been diagnosed with trigger fingers, jumper’s knee, tennis elbow and I don’t shoot guns, jump hurdles or play tennis. My C Reactive Protein was so high the doctor’s thought I had ALS. I have been checked for RA, Lupus, MTG on and on…. I was practically bed ridden. I could only walk a few feet without pain and my joints throbbed 24/7. Last month I started seeing an acupuncturist for the pain, he suggested I do a cleansing and stop eating nightshades. I had heard of nightshades but did not realize they were actually killing me…slowly. I have thyroid problems, borderline diabetes, joint pain and inflammation, vitamin D deficiency. I was researching nightshades when I stumbled across this website. All my conditions can be traced back to nightshades. I eat tomatoes like apples and potatoes are a staple in my diet. NO MORE! I stopped eating nightshades immediately and Thank God I did! I have been pain free for two weeks now. I can work in my garden and I can walk long distances without stopping. Thank you for all that you do in researching this condition. Without this information, I would still be suffering needlessly.
            Carolyn
            =========================================

12. Boundless says:

A family member incautiously consumed a few inches of a Twizzler yesterday.

After the reaction set in an hour later, we pulled up the Nutrition Facts on the smart phone.

The #2 ingredient? Enriched wheat flour (#1 was corn syrup, aka fructose – talk about a 1-2 punch).

Yes, evil incarnate.

Ask people what they think of Twizzlers. The most common response: I eat the whole bag!

Yes, wheat alone is bad enough. Wheat plus fructose: really, really bad. A 1-2 punch, indeed!

• Roger says:

If real Terrorists wanted to destroy this Nation, that would be easy.

All they would have to do, is invest in Dough Nut Shops, and cut prices. All other Wheat-Based Peddlers, would lower their prices, just to compete. More grain, especially Genetic Modified Wheat would have to be grown, to meet the demand. With lower prices, and an abundant supply of cheap wheat, all would be in accelerated ill health, would not only not contribute tax dollars, from not working, due to disabliltity, all would be too sick to even care about National Security!

I sure am glad that Terrorsist are not that smart, and not that evil–as the United States Govt. and Experts still endorce Heart Healthy Whole Wheat Goodness, despite the fact that it is destroying our bodies and minds.

Sure am glad I have the U.S. Govt. and Experts are watching out for We The People’s best interest. And a Very Special Thank YOU for a particualr man and FDA–for allowing Aspartame a free ride and thumbs up, as this nerve poision is almost as common as Genetic Modified Wheat.

Roger, OHIO

• Roger says:

If real Terrorists wanted to destroy this Nation–easy enough.

Invest in Dough Nut Shops, and cut prices! All other Wheat-Based Peddlers, would lower their prices, just to compete. More grain, especially Genetic Modified Wheat would have to be grown, to meet the demand. With lower prices, and an abundant supply of cheap wheat, all would be in accelerated ill health, would not only not contribute tax dollars, from not working, due to disabliltity, all would be too sick to even care about National Security!

I sure am glad that Terrorsist are not that smart, and not that evil. The United States Govt. and Experts still endorce Heart Healthy Whole Wheat Goodness, despite the fact that it is destroying our bodies and minds.

The last time I consumed a soda with Aspartame, I fell to the floor, holding the side of my head–and could not even scream out in pain–due to the intensity of the pain. Thank YOU Donald R, and FDA for the precious memories. I do thank the Powers That Be, for saving some of us from real butter on our Pop Corn, though. Now, if the movie is crappy, the crappy Pop Corn will not make up for it.

Roger, OHIO

13. Nina says:

The moral of the story? Always listen to your sister.

• Alex C says:

You got that right!
      My sis’ has been a major inspiration in my life since even when I was just a little kid.

I’m very fortunate to have her in my life.

Thanks Cristina :)

14. JillOz says:

Maybe it just a takes a series of success/failure cyles to really integrate it into our system…
    after all most things take a while to “take’.

15. Kaylana says:

I don’t even want to get started about what happens to kids if they accidentally eat wheat again! Oh my!
    Cranky, diarrhea, slight fever, aggressiveness towards his siblings, crying all the time because nothing seems to go right – poor kid! And then we go through the constipation issue again as his intestine readjusts. A good dose of natural home made yogurt helped.
    After a couple of days — Peace has returned again.

It’s tough when friends just don’t understand – No Wheat means *NO* Wheat!

Yes, indeed, Kaylana.

I have personally witnessed children who were wheat-free get inadvertently “wheated” and it ain’t pretty!

16. Suzanne Alberga says:

Seven years ago I lost weight on gluten free good and lost 50 lbs. By going back on gluten food I regained 25 lbs. Since last December I stopped eating food with gluten and lost 22 lbs.

I discovered your book and read it and it made so much sense and confirmed what I knew seven years ago that my body does not like gluten.

I also have psoriasis and am not sure whether or not the gluten free food will be help me with my skin disorder.

Great, Suzanne!

My experience is that psoriasis improves in the majority, though it takes many months to respond. So stick with it this time!