Banana chocolate chip bread

Here’s a slightly different way to make bread that I’ve been playing around with the past few weeks.

Much as I hate to admit it, using wheat flour does have its advantages–in baking, though not in health. There is no denying that wheat, due to the unique properties of the glutenin polymer in gluten, has extraordinary strength, pliability, and flexibility when molded into various shapes, and also achieves a lightness through the process of “rising” with the assistance of yeast. We lose all that when we eliminate wheat for health.

So we struggle to recreate two characteristics in our wheat-free baking:

1) How do we generate “rise”?
2) How do we create strength and flexibility?

Rise is generally created by mixing an acid and a base to create carbon dioxide, while strength is provided by polymers other than glutenin.

(The photo is a version of the recipe I made without chocolate chips.)

This bread demonstrates two variations from many of the other bread recipes featured here in this blog and in Wheat Belly:

1) The use of lemon juice as an acid to react with the alkaline sodium bicarbonate in baking soda to yield carbon dioxide, and
2) The use of guar gum to increase cohesiveness of the bread.

Both techniques are optional. You can make perfectly fine “bread” without the use of guar gum or lemon juice, but their use of improves the quality of your bread.

Note that this bread is bit higher in carbohydrate content, given that it contains one banana and a cup of chocolate chips. Using one medium-sized banana and Trader Joe’s dark chocolate chips, this totals around 150 grams carbohydrate (“net”) for the entire loaf, or 15 grams per slice. Use half a banana and 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, or a higher cocoa, lower sugar brand of chips, and you can cut this nearly in half.

Makes 10 servings

2 cups almond meal
½ cup ground golden flaxseed
2 tablespoons coconut flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon guar gum
Sweetener equivalent to 1 cup sugar
1 cup dark chocolate chips
2 eggs, separated
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ cup coconut milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ripe banana, sliced
½ lemon

Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease bread pan.

In large bowl, combine almond meal, flaxseed, coconut flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, guar gum, sweetener, chocolate chips and mix together.

In medium mixing bowl, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Blend in egg yolks, coconut milk, vanilla, and banana. Alternatively, combine coconut milk, vanilla, and banana in food processor or food chopper and pulse until blended and smooth, then add to egg white and egg yolks and whip until blended. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon into the egg mixture and blend together.

Pour the egg mixture into the almond meal mixture and mix together thoroughly.

Pour dough into bread pan and bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick withdraws dry.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly Buster Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to Banana chocolate chip bread

1. Sydney says:

This recipe has become our family’s favorite! I add chopped pecans or walnuts and it is delicious. My only problem is that it is SO good, I want a slice every day. Thank you for your recipes. I have tried several from your book and have had great success… And my husband likes them all, too. I do not miss bread or grains at all. I have been eating more vegetables than I have in years and love them.

2. Elsa says:

I’d like to make muffins instead of a bread. I would cut the baking to about 20 minutes Do you foresee any problems?

Nope!

But use the toothpick method to be sure 20 minutes is sufficient, especially if you have a convection oven.

3. Cynthia says:

I’m a 64 yr old, active woman with hypothyroidism, tummy trouble and weight gain. My daughter suggested that maybe I had a wheat intolerance. I feel like I eat well, whole grains, whole wheat bread lots of fruit and veggies, but I’ve been gaining weight lately and started shopping around looking at different diets. My friend put me onto your book. I’ve always been a big fan of veggies and fruit, but I never thought that maybe the whole grains/wheat were hurting my system. I’ve started using other flours and making gluten free items and I don’t get that heavy kicked in the stomach feeling anymore. Thanks for the recipes and opening up a new way of baking.
    Cynthia

4. Logan says:

Say Dr. D, what causes you to choose Guar Gum in this recipe over Xanthan Gum that you use in other recipes? I under stand they are similar but why one rather than the other in a given recipe?
    Thanks, Logan

5. Christina says:

Dr. Davis
    I’m allergic to garbanzo beans..is the another flour I can substitute for it?

6. sandie says:

Dr. davis I make meatballs with kamuth-what can i use as a substitute

7. snead says:

What about using einkorn flour? I don’t have any gluten problems. Is a little pre-historic gluten forbidden?

8. snead says:

Nevermind. I found the ancient-wheat-is-no-good-either thread.

9. Linda Lee says:

need help with recipes that aren’t working the biscuts and shones didn’t taste good and wouldn’t hold together what might I be doing wrong

10. Jeannine says:

I have been making the BEST banana bread without xanthum gum. So good, it does not need any choco chips of any kind… It has unofficially won the Banana Bread Cup in my heart. I revised it after a traditional family recipe. The lemon juice is the key!!

Ass Kicking Banana Walnut Bread

1/2 cup grapeseed oil
    2 eggs, whisked
    2 mashed bananas
    2 tbs lemon juice
    1/2 tsp vanilla

3/4 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Mix your dry ingredients together – put aside. Mix together wet ingredients, then gently incorporate into dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed. Mix in walnuts then spoon into oiled loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 – 50 minutes. Let it sit for 10 minutes, then enjoy! Needs no butter or margarine.

Ah, you discovered one of my secrets, Jeannine: the lemon juice!

I stumbled on this trick, also, trying to generate vigorous acid-base reactions to create carbon dioxide.

• Anne-marie says:

Does it have to be lemon juice from a freshly squeezed lemon or can you use a bottled variety such as RealLemon?

11. Jeannine says:

I have used both and they work fine! The fresh a bit better. It’s really nice to add orange and lemon rind to the recipe – about a teaspoon or so. The flavour is amazing.

12. sylvia forest says:

I believe almonds have a very high omega 6 to 3 ratio – which can cause problems with inflammation when eaten in large quantities. If using almond flour as a substitute for wheat flour in all kinds of baking, is there not a danger of replacing one kind of problem with another? Is there some alternative to almond flour for those who want to regularly eat baked goods?

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Use some of the alternate flours like coconut, flax seed, chia seed, garbanzo bean among many others. Make sure you eat a lot of omega 3 foods and don’t snack on nuts. Most recipes for baked goods are nutrient dense and rather filling. You eat less than you would with wheat products.
      Dr. Davis has stated this many times. Unless you are eating almond flour baked goods for most of your meals, there isn’t any problem.

• BarbinNC says:

I’ve been using more coconut flour than almond flour lately, but love baking with the almond flour, I made an apple cake today, and used my Tahini to make another loaf of the Almost Paleo Bread, but baked it as Bagels – I have to say they are amazing, esp. toasted, with some cream cheese and smoked salmon …

But my main point is – I’ve started adding Chia seeds to just about everything I bake now, in the hope that it’s adding lots of Omega 3 to our diet.

Does anyone know if the heat of baking alters the quality of the Omega 3? I have also made pudding with the Chia and love it, but baking with it has added moisture and flexibility to the baked goods, which is very attractive.

13. Tiane says:

Do you have a rough estimate of calories?

14. Anita says:

This recipe is a staple at my home and I’ve shared both the bread and the recipe with others who voice concerns over their health – it’s converted folks to eating grain-free and lower carbohydrate by proving that there are delicious options available.
    I wanted to share that I’ve subbed 1 cup of canned pumpkin for the banana and tossed in some pecans for a completely different and delicious bread.
    Thank you so much for your work – I’ve been steroid-free for one and a half years now!