A Wheat Belly shopping list

Once you’ve cleared the shelves of all wheat-containing products, you will need to repopulate them with the essentials that allow you to navigate a wheat-free diet. These are the ingredients commonly used in many of the recipes you’ll find here.

Some of the foods, such as flaxseed and nut meals, are best purchased and used within four weeks to minimize oxidation of the oils and/or store in the refrigerator.

Almond milk, unsweetened
Cheeses—Keep a variety on hand, including Parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta
Cocoa powder, unsweetened
Coconut flour
Coconut milk (canned and carton)
Coconut, shredded and unsweetened
Extracts—almond, coconut, vanilla
Flaxseed—ground
Ground nut meals—ground almonds, pecans, walnuts
Nut butters—almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower seed butter
Nuts—raw almonds, pecans, walnuts, pistachios, hazelnuts, Brazil nuts; chopped walnuts or pecans for baking
Oils—extra-virgin olive, coconut, avocado, flaxseed, walnut
Sea salt
Shirataki noodles (in the refrigerated section)
Sweeteners—liquid stevia, erythritol, Truvía, xylitol

Did I forget anything?

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly Buster Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

192 Responses to A Wheat Belly shopping list

1. Pingback: Discourse on Peanut Butter | Wheat On Trial

2. Peter says:

Yes, you forgot meat, poultry, fish, vegetables, and fruits…

3. Clare West says:

It’s all very well, but I have a allergy to coconut…what are you suggestions when it comes to a coconut substitute?

4. Robin says:

Is air popped popcorn ok to eat?

5. Debbie says:

Question regarding cheeses and milk.

Should they be organic type cheeses? Any specific brand name cheeses as recommendation?

Should milk (i.e. unsweetened almond milk) be organic? Or, any specific brand name milk (i.e. Pure Silk)?

Thanx.
    Debbie

6. Mica says:

What do you recommend for entrees at Indian restaurants?

7. Netanyami says:

Hello Dr. Davis, I’m making my own almond flour and chickpea flour (the regular ones are too expensive for me) and they turned out nice. Is this ok? I’m using slivered blanched almonds.

Btw, the recipe’s from your cookbook was awesome.

8. Sheila Reese says:

My husband and I had the Tuna Avocado Salad for lunch today. I was good but a little bland. I was thinking about using chopped carrots and adding pine nuts for a little crunchy texture.

• Mr. Steve says:

You could add a squirt of vinegar based hot sauce or a squeeze of lime juice to give it a bit of a kick.

A little bit of hot sauce goes a long way… And it usually has a lot of sodium. So if you add hot sauce to a recipe consider using less or no salt than the recipe calls for. Look for hot sauce without thickeners.

Lime and Avocado go great together. Flavor wise and another way. The citric acid in the lime stalls the avocado from browning.

9. Michael Gaulding says:

Thanks, your program is saving my life. Blood sugar 6.4 down from 7.2 and cholesterol 165 down from 220 in just 90 days. Looking forward to next 90 Days.

10. Judith Simons says:

I am allergic to nuts. Are their some suitable substitutes?

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Use seed and garbanzo been flour. Use coconut flour.
      Use probiotics to help heal your leaky gut. Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water daily. After a while, revisit nuts to see if you still have an allergy.
      Check paleo and primal web sites for more nut free recipes.

11. Rebecca says:

Is any kind of peanut butter ok or should it be organic? I see the “regular” peanut butter contains fully hydrogenated vegetable oil…

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

It should be a nut butter without hydrogenated oil. Reading the book will enlighten you.

On peanut butter, organic and non-GMO is nice, but the key things are:
      - no sugar
      - no seed oils (other than the peanut oil from the whole nuts used)
      Added salt is usually not a problem.