Another Amazon gem: Goodbye hip pain

This comment was posted on the Amazon Wheat Belly page by Colin P. Conn:

In just 3 weeks since buying Wheat Belly and going wheat free that same day, I’ve lost 15 pounds, my heartburn’s gone and so is my belief that I’d need a bilateral hip replacement within 5 years–the latter, completely unexpected.

Even on short walks my hips used to ache deeply, forcing me to stop and stretch, allowing the pain to recede. It was an agonizing pain and Ibuprofen was a standard preventative remedy before walks or playing golf or virtually any physical activity. Perhaps the loss of pain in my hips has been the result of my effortless loss of 15 pounds, but Dr. Davis exposes other facts in his book that blame wheat as causative for joint pain, and I believe he’s right.

Eliminating wheat has proved to be the easiest wheat-loss plan my wife and I have ever undertaken. I’m losing weight, she’s losing weight and after giving birth to 3 children, she’s always struggled with weight loss. Now we’re eating like kings and I’ve never enjoyed food so much, yet I don’t feel compelled to eat 19 times a day because I don’t suffer the glycemic-driven eating cycle. That ended about 30 hours after dropping wheat from our diet. We’re FREE and don’t miss wheat even a little. So free in fact that I’ve given the book away twice now and I want to give a copy and tell everyone I see who’s become plus sized. Yee gods, we even have a terminology to ameliorate the stigma of being fat. Now people are “plus sized,” and with 40 pounds yet to lose, so am I! But I’m losing 2-3 pounds a week so; give me 20 weeks to lose the rest–ditto my wife.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly--The Book. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Another Amazon gem: Goodbye hip pain

1. Cherry says:

Awesome review. I have been wheat free almost two weeks since downloading the audiobook. I admit sometimes i dont know what to eat, as my every meal used to consist of wheat products and i refuse to get the gluten free variation of breads and crackers, as losing my belly is my goal. Having to ramp up slow with nuts and veggies as it is a foreign substance to my wheaty bod and the sudden increase in fiber may kill me, lol. Coming here is great inspiration. Is there a place to go to see what us new ex wheaters are eating everyday so that i may get some ideas? Thanks Dr Davis!

• Johannah says:

The paleo diet is grain free and there are a ton of websites with paleo recipes. One of my favorites is chowstalker.com. It has photos and It leads you to gadzillions of other recipe websites.

• Johannah says:

On chowstalker there are 68 pages of photos. The little boxes at the bottom navigate the pages and for some reason the numbers are not showing up unless I move my cursor over them.

I”ll be posting more recipes in the coming weeks and months, Cherry.

In the meantime, as some other commenters have noted, the Paleo cookbooks are, in general, a good resource, like Paleo Comfort Foods and Everyday Paleo.

• Colin P Conn says:

I never thought that Dr. Davis would even see my review, so you can imagine how thrilled I was to see it posted in his blog. But there are several things (well, I could have written for an hour) that I would have pointed out had Amazon not suggested that reviews be kept under 300 words. First, Dr. Davis wrote a book, but beyond that he’s had an altruistic attitude toward this entire (I like the word) movement. He’s not selling vitamins and he’s not trying to set up regular monthly payments for a service or whatever from people like me. Second, he makes the initial salient point that, back the day, people weren’t fat. What’s changed? And I loved the “It’s not your fault” recitation. If there is a problem with the book it’s that it’s so much more than a weight loss plan—but that is the necessary “hook” that gets you reading. As I read I found myself swearing (out loud) at what I was reading. I was (pardon the term) PISSED OFF. My heartburn’s gone, so now I have $25 worth of Prilosec sitting in my dresser drawer. Think of all the millions of people out there shelling out big bucks for that type of medication. That is sick. Think of all the money being shelled out for insulin and testing supplies—think about how his book could impact the cost of healthcare. I think the book should be required reading for every doctor in the country—which is why I’ve given the book away twice, to 2 doctors. Dr. Davis could easily be, in my mind, Time’s Man of the Year.
      Thank you Dr. Davis.

Hi, Colin–

Good to see you here!

Yes, the enormity of this issue is truly staggering. But the burden of spreading the message is on people like us, as it will never come from the “official” sources like the USDA, as they are not our advocates, but the advocacy group for agribusiness.

We have this peculiar situation in which the official purveyors of advice obtain much, if not most, of their revenue from organizations with their own motives. Witness, for instance, that the American Diabetes Association obtains substantial revenue from Cadbury Schweppes, the world”s largest candy manufacturer. Or, the Heart CheckMark program of the American Heart Association, generating tens of millions of dollars per year for endorsements of Cocoa Puffs and Berry Kix cereals.

This is part of the grassroots campaign to spread the wisdom and fuel this movement!

2. Howard says:

I have been wheat-free since 1999, except for a few (some unintentional) lapses. So in my case, your Wheat Belly book is preaching to the choir. But I”ll certainly try to help you spread the word.

As I documented on my blog, in “A Story about Gluten” (which Tom Naughton urged me to write), the primary benefit of eliminating grain from my diet was a reprieve from the arthritis in my hands which forced me to quit playing my violin in public. I couldn”t bear the pain of getting enough practice to remain proficient. Now, I”m back to playing, and giving violin lessons, plus taking piano lessons myself. My article can be found at http://guestdietblog.com/2011/05/a-story-about-gluten/

To this day, any time I have something with wheat in it, my hands will ache for a couple of days. That is sufficient to keep me “on the wagon”.

Great story, Howard!

As you had to learn the hard way, it”s not the carbs; it”s the wheat that was responsible for your hand/joint pain. Candy won”t do it, a banana won”t do it, nor will an IV glucose infusion do it. Only wheat will do it.

3. George Marasco says:

Ahahahaha, awesome Freudian slip. :D

4. J> says:

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the “Wheat Belly” diet….I have been on it for 6 weeks. I feel wonderful , but when I got on the scale this A.M. I have only lost 7 pounds. I can honestly say that I have not cheated once and have tried many of the recipes….don”t know what seems to be the problem. I know that I am not even eating near as much at a meal as I use to before the 6 week started, even though then I was eating what I thought was healthy – but included wheat in my diet. My clothes do fit me much better – so I guess that I have lost inches. I am very sorry that I didn”t measure myself in the beginning instead of just looking at the scale. Does anyone have any suggestions …I do eat lots of raw nuts – and use olive oil in everything I cook, maybe that is culprit for me even though Dr. Davis says “No”.

Thanks for any suggestions…..

• Birgit says:

J, do you know how many carbs you are eating per day? If it”s over a hundred you may want to cut them down a little more. I found out that if I skip grains and beans but eat tropical fruit I can still go pretty high with the carbs so now I limit myself to one or two pieces of lower sugar fruit and have more veggies. Having said that I think that 1 lb. per week is very good. If your energy level has improved enough from eating lower-carb you could possibly increase your exercise more and it could be lower-impact like walking or slow jogging. I”ve been using the Maffetone method for the last 4 months that uses a heart-rate cap of 180-age as a rough guide (you wear a heart-rate monitor) to help my body get better at burning fat instead of for fuel and together with low-carb it seems to work great. The book that this is based on “The Big Book of Endurance Training and Racing”, also recommends to measure your waist rather than your weight as a better predictor of body fat. Exercise can increase your muscle mass and the scales would show that as a weight gain.
      Birgit

• anthony says:

FWIW, and your mileage may vary, jogging, running, treadmills, ellipticals, C2 rowers, etc, is NOT exercise. It may well be FUN, but it ain”t exercise, it won”t burn fat and it won”t increase muscle mass. You want proof? Go to your local gym, local at all the wheat belly”s who are still wheat belley”d and they”ve been on that damn treadmill x3 per week for 30 minutes and it hasn”t changed jack shite :)
        You want exercise??
        that would be exercise!
        For context, I”ve completed over 20 marathons, 8 ultra-marathons, innumerable 10k”s plus the mileage required to do that. All it got me was left ventricular hypertrophy, episodic SVT”s, and sarcopoenia. I”m now almost 74, I do HIT x1 per week, about 9 minutes of total exercise time, and I have been doing it for 12 years, I”m in the best physical condition I”ve been in since Parris Island, USMC, 1957. :) And my 70 year old wife routinely knocks the socks off women half her age.

The wheat belly of ”exercise” is “cardio,” “aerobics,” “zuumba,” “p90x”

• janet says:

Anthony you have to give us a hint what all that alphabet soup means you just said. I was interested but what in the he dle toothpicks does hit or px90 or svt stand for? Fwiw? I think i got that one. Good for you and your wife. I am 63 yo gal cut down my frenetic exercise and walk ,intermittent sprint and lift heavy things twice a week ala Mark Sison. Now i am having fun as.

5. Drew says:

Yay, Colin!

My wife and I have been following the wheat-free route since the beginning of the year. We have nothing but positive results to show for it. Though I was already “skinny”, I lost another six pounds and it appears to all have come from my belly. My attention span is returning (or my adult ADD is declining) and I no longer have aches in my knees at night. My last blood pressure check was 103/61. My wife has lost almost 20-lbs. and she”s been able to cut the dose of one of her diabetes meds in half. Her blood pressure came down 10 points as well. We”re both in much better moods too! :)

Thank you, Dr. Davis!

• Janet says:

Mentioning your ADD. I think I have had a form of that all my life. Can”t settle down, jump up and do something just as i set down with a book, etc. Kind of a artsy/perfectionist–house clutter driving me insane, even as it piles up because I am messing with stuff all the time. Since I have been wheat free I seem more relaxed among the many other good things that have happened to me. I can sit for longer periods and just relax without the urge to jump up and do something else. Consequently I notice the house is looking a bit cluttered. You know what? So what.

6. Janet says:

Nice. I read that review yesterday on Amazon. I go there now and then to read the new ones.

People have asked about the “sprouted wheat” breads and I just wanted to relay some personal experience with them, my normal use of them and what happened after I just gave that form of wheat up.

I would periodically go on Dr. Gott”s Diet: No white flour and sugar. It would work and I felt good because it was higher protein and no sugar or white flour will do a pretty good job of moving weight off. Kind of normal slow though. I was eating Sprouted Wheat flourless bread though. When Wheat Belly came onto my radar and I read the reviews on Amazon while waiting for the book to come to me from my library, I too thought of the sprouted wheat. It is really delicious and I would have at least 4 slices per day on Dr. Gott”s plan.
    WELL–in late December after I read the book, I got rid of the sprouted bread and my shape changed faster than it ever has on a diet. My belly fat is disappearing. I had gotten rid of the sugar way before that, but after taking ALL the wheat out, the last in the form of the sprouted bread, I was on the fast track losing fat. THEN, my aches and pains went away. But only after the wheat in any form was gone.

Since that was the only change I made–my experience tells me most definitely the sprouted variety of breads is going to hinder you and put WHEAT into your system. Just thought folks here would like to get a real life experiment result.

Excellent example, Janet, of how we can sprout the seeds, sourdough ferment it, produce it organically, etc. , but it”s all the same stuff!

Thanks for sharing your story. I”d like to post as a blog post.

7. Bob says:

Wheat Belly has been a very positive re-education process for me. I have had a lifetime (50 + years) of misinformation that I am essentially discarding as a result of reading Wheat Belly !
    I read Wheat Belly on New Years weekend and immediately began a much reduced wheat diet till January 15th, when I became completely wheat free and low carb. I have lost about 10 pounds and my wheat belly is melting away! This time of year my exercise is somewhat limited (I like warm or hot for exercise) but it doesn”t seem to matter-I am averaging about 2 pounds per week just by following the Wheat Belly guidelines. I feel great!!
    Yesterday I decided I was tired of my jeans not fitting so, this morning I located an old pair and tried them on. These fit much better-I haven”t been able to wear these smaller jeans for 3-4 years.

I sent 2 copies of Wheat Belly Book to my aunt and my brother-both with type 2 diabetes. I am hopeful that the knowledge that wheat is slowly killing them will prompt them both to eliminate wheat. I have told numerous friends about Wheat Belly, this blog, and the FB Page and encouraged them to explore for themselves. .
    Dr. Davis, thank you for Wheat Belly this blog, and your Facebook postings !! My education continues !

It”s all great, Bob!

We are all learning new lessons, me included. One of the newest lessons we”ve got to incorporate is to how to best navigate our foods despite all the changes, overt and covert, made to crops and livestock without our knowledge. Surely, this will keep us vigilant for a lifetime.

8. Deanna says:

Hi Cherry, we’ve been wheat free since the end of last Sept. We have never eaten so well. I have not felt deprived even once! One of the best sources for ways to simplify it for me came from http://www.easypaleo.com … mostly from her facebook posts (under Easy Paleo). She also wrote a small book that helps a lot. She posts a menu every week along with great recipes. She also posts links to others with great paleo recipes. The thing she said that helped me the most was…just eat some meat and vegetables and a little fat. How simple is that? I think I found her through Dr. Davis. We eat meat, veggies, eggs, bacon (try to find it without nitrates), nuts, cheese, a little fruit (maybe half a small apple or some strawberries with heavy cream) olives, lots of avocados. I use heavy cream in my coffee. We make a yummy granola out of nuts, seeds, coconut flakes (unsweetened), cinnamon and a few raisins. I keep it mixed up and when we eat it (about once a week or week and a half) I add frozen fruit and pour coconut milk over it. I read online that you can dilute full fat coconut milk and we like that better because it’s not as strong. Sometimes we snack on pork skins :) From reading, I know that some people who have gone wheat free do not eat bacon or dairy products. Good luck on your journey!

9. Birgit says:

I have some anecdotal evidence about wheat and arthritis. As a dog trainer I often get people”s questions about preventing osteoarthritis in the form of hip dysplasia in dogs which seems to have gotten extremely common. Hip dysplasia probably has a genetic disposition but because there are many genes involved dog breeders have made little progress in eliminating this painful and crippling condition. The causes are seen as related to conformation (shape of the hip bone, length of ligaments, size and weight of the dog) and also muscular fitness (good muscle strength around the hip joint to keep things together). Nutritional considerations have focused on supplements.
    I have noticed that in many dogs symptoms of even severe hip dysplasia seemed to disappear when the dogs were taken off a diet that contains wheat and in some cases other grains and are fed a paleo-type diet with raw meat and bones and a few green veggies.

A fascinating and tantalizing observation, Birgit!

I, too, have a hard time accepting that dogs, after only 7 or 8 years, develop conditions associated with wear and tear. Surely there is something triggering inflammation and cartilage destruction.

• Anne says:

Our chocolate lab … Mojo … has only ever been fed “fish and grain free food”, he is now 8 years old and can still run with us on our bikes, chase the ball from the chuck-it like no one’s business … and is always raring to go. People constantly comment on how healthy he looks and ask “what is he, about 4 or 5 years old?” … when we tell them 8 years, almost 9 – they are shocked! :) Wish I’d taken a page out of our dog’s diet long ago and stopped eating wheat etc., but we are now wheat free and, with our increased level of energy, are able to keep up much better with Mojo! :)

10. Michael Kovacs says:

Dr. Davis, I cant believe the explosion in visitors to your site. Just the other day you had a little over 370,000 visitors and today you”ve had a little over 400,000. It is amazing to watch the map of wheatlessness grow in real time.

11. Darleen says:

I think I”m the only person here who went low carb a year ago and wheat free last September and has GAINED weight. And I have plenty to lose, believe you me.

It is SO frustrating to come here day after day and read how people are losing weight as if by magic and I”m still struggling.

Well I haven”t given up yet.

• Michael Kovacs says:

What do you consider low carb? When I initially started low carb 3 years ago I cut all grains, milk, yogurt, sugar and fruit and just ate meat and green leafy vegetables, nothing else. As I lost the weight I was able to reintroduce some fruit like low glycemic berries such as blue berries and raspberries and a small amount of yogurt. Milk and yogurt has a lot of carbs so even a half cup of yogurt could stall your progress. Look for a 0 carb whipping cream and use that in your coffee instead of milk or light cream. Start using coconut oil 3 times a day. add a tablespoon of it to your coffee. Make sure you are eating enough protein so you are not going hungry and snacking every couple of hours. Eat your first meal at 10 or 12 noon. and you second meal at 5:30 – 6pm. The rest of the time you should be fasting without hunger. If you are starving when you should be fasting, you are not eating enough fat and protein. I typically eat 3 eggs and 4 slices of bacon and half a cup blueeberries swimming in unwhipped whipping cream at 10 or 12 noon. The meal will sustain me for the next 6 hours without the need to snack. Dinner is usually 8 to 10 oz of oven roasted pasture raised meat with an assortment of non-starchy veggies. Usually dark green leafy kind like kale, spinach. chard, broccoli cauliflower etc. sauteed in ghee or butter.

Other things that can stall your progress is stress, lack of sleep, and toxins in your environment. You might want to get these things taken care of if you are doing everthing right but still not seeing results.

• Darleen says:

I appreciate the time and effort you have spent on a reply. However, rest assured that when I say low carb I am talking about 50g of NET carbs a day or less.

I gave up milk ages and ages ago. I rarely eat cheese. HWC contains 1g of carb per TBS unless you can get the real thing without added fillers and thickeners.

I am back on the Drs. Eades”s 6 Week Cure program and I”ve been through a liver detox on 2 separate occasions.

No, my problem is one that lot of those hollywood “stars” are going to be facing sooner or later. Ask Kirsty Alley what I”m talking bout. You starve yourself for ages and ages and your body eventually rebels. I am pretty confident I have a severe metabolic issue that may not be able to be fixed. Any more than about 1200 calories a day and I balloon up.

Thanks for trying to help, though. I appreciate it.

Wow.

Thanks for the excellent comments, Michael!

• While you”re adding a tablespoon of coconut oil add a tablespoon of UN-salted butter for each 6 to 8 oz. cup of coffee, then eat a bit off the stick too. http://goo.gl/jq3YF

Don”t give up, Darleen! But you should seek to find out why.

In other words, elimination of wheat is a very powerful tool for weight loss and health. After that, some people have to restrict carbohydrates to lose additional weight, as being wheat free but eating lots of ice cream is no good either.

However, these two very effective nutritional maneuvers cannot correct an established thyroid condition, for instance, which is exceptionally common in an age where we are exposed daily to thyroid-disrupting halogenated organochemicals like perchlorates (residues of synthetic fertilizer in produce) and polyfluorooctanoic acid (non-stick cookware used in restaurants, for instance).

An intelligent assessment by a capable healthcare provider (though rare; ask, ask, ask around) can provide a solution.

12. Barbara says:

Darleen, I know weight loss can be hard, especially for us older women.
    Some people have to go as low as 20 grams of TOTALcarbs, not net carbs per day. But 50 grams of carbs is not generally considered low. Best wishes.

13. Ben says:

I just got the wheat belly book from my dad along with the audible version currently up to chapter 9. Only second day on diet but sold on it. My wife will also be joining in even though she is blessed with great metabolism. Having just started on my journey I must wonder if I have/had wheat sensitivity or celiac as I have had frequent diarreha for a long time, usually blammed it on working at a pizza restaurant, since leaving there I dont have as much of a problem with it. But the reason for posting on this thread is that i am 33 yrs old and had my left hip replaced 8 months ago due to hip dysplasia, arthritis, and torn labrum. I have not done enough research on it myself but I have recently read that wheat sensitivity can lead to hip dysplasia in dogs I wonder if this is also true of humans and if anyone has read any research on the subject. It is too late to save my left hip but could wheat elimination also save my right hip from future surgery, it to has mild dysplasia and some bone spurs that could tear its labrum causing onset of arthritis. Anyway thanks for the book and will follow the blogs.