Nails in the coffin

There are several of what I call “nails in the coffin” for wheat.

These are potential issues related to wheat that are so bad that, if any one of them prove true, then once and for all it will be goodbye to wheat’s image as saviour of health, protector of weight, darling of “official” agencies.

Among these nails in the coffin:

Gliadin as a cause of autism–We’ve all heard that autism has increased considerably over the past two decades, now affecting 1% of all children, and nobody knows why. Autistic kids have difficulty engaging in relationships and making friends with other kids, and usually have to be placed in special educational tracks to accommodate their unique needs.

We know that celiac disease can masquerade as autism, generating the full spectrum of the disorder. We also know that mothers with rheumatoid arthritis and other autoimmune diseases and families with type 1 diabetes have increased likelihood of autistic children. We also know that autistic kids have an exaggerated reaction to wheat gliadin/gluten, along with increased likelihood of antibodies against gliadin. And wheat consumption has been associated with decreased fertility, suggesting an effect on the fetus and/or the uterine environment.

Can in utero exposure to wheat gliadin underlie the neurological changes that lead to autism in the newborn? If this relationship holds true, the lifelong implications for the child are so overwhelming that it can only mean that wheat has no role in the diet of any female contemplating pregnancy .

Wheat lectin as cause of leptin resistance–There is well-founded speculation that the lectin of wheat, wheat germ agglutinin, may be the instigator of leptin resistance. Leptin resistance is reflected by the paradoxic increase in leptin blood levels seen in overweight people. While increased leptin is supposed to turn off appetite and induce satiety, overweight and obese people have high levels of leptin despite their weight. This has been attributed to the condition of leptin resistance, the failure to respond to circulating leptin.

This group of investigators has speculated that lectins are perfectly crafted to be the trigger for leptin resistance. If true, it means that wheat consumption = weight gain via leptin resistance. It means that, in addition to the amylopectin A-induced straight-up rise in blood sugar/insulin and the appetite-stimulating effects of gliadin, wheat consumption = obesity.

Wheat lectins as a cause of gastrointestinal cancer–Could Steve Jobs, who died of pancreatic cancer, have actually died of long-term exposure to the lectins of wheat?

Think about it: People who eliminate wheat experience marked and often total relief from acid reflux, cramps and diarrhea of irritable bowel syndrome, improvement (and occasional cure) of ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease. There are marked shifts in bowel bacteria and changes in pancreatic function with wheat elimination. If the irritative and inflammatory effects of wheat consumption on the gastrointestinal tract are so marked, and the effects of removal so dramatic, is it much of a leap to believe that the chronic inflammation and irritation caused by wheat could, over time, also lead to cancer?

After all, a major cause of cancer (“oncogenesis” or “tumorigenesis”) is long-term, repetitive irritation and/or inflammation. The prolonged inflammation and irritation of ulcerative colitis, for instance, can result in colon cancer. People with celiac disease have increased risk for cancer of the small bowel, colon, biliary tract, and other gastrointestinal cancers. If we view celiac disease as just one end of the spectrum of wheat-related gastrointestinal irritation, then these conditions like acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome that we might view as “celiac disease lite” may also heighten risk.

The Wheat Lobby and its friends in high places at the USDA, the U.S. Dept of Health and Human Services, and other “official” providers of nutritional advice all agree: Replace white processed flour with whole grains, and incidence of cancer is reduced. That is indeed true. But the effects of NO grains is what is in question.

My prediction: “Healthy whole grains” will prove to be the #1 most substantial cause of gastrointestinal cancers from mouth to anus (oral, esophageal, gastric, small intestine, colon, rectal, pancreatic, biliary) and thereby the #1 most preventable cause of gastrointestinal cancers.

Any one or all of these questions, if they hold true, will add a nail in the coffin for this incredibly corrupt invader of diet. The era of “healthy whole grains” will join bleeding with leeches and burning witches at the stake as crimes of incredible gullibility and folly.

This entry was posted in Autism, Cancer, Gliadin, Leptin resistance. Bookmark the permalink.

126 Responses to Nails in the coffin

1. Boundless says:

This was just brought to my attention.
    Starving Cancer: Ketogenic Diet a Key to Recovery
    It’s not about wheat, however, and in fact says: “It involves cutting out carbohydrates, beginning with the worst carb of all – sugar.”

The key points that are apt to gain public traction:
    >Although it wasn’t easy, Hatfield stopped eating carbohydrates, which turn into glucose inside your body. Cancer cells love glucose and need it so badly, that if you stop giving it to them, they die.

All cells, including cancer cells, are fueled by glucose. But if you deprive them of glucose, they switch to the alternate fuel, ketone bodies.

Except cancer cells. A defect prevents them from making the switch to using ketone bodies as fuel and therefore, cancer cells can only survive on glucose. All other cells can use either glucose or ketone bodies.”

Notice that they don’t call it a “cure”. Ketogenic metabolism doesn’t cure cancer – glycemic metabolism CAUSES it. The advocates for the keto approach need to be contacted, and brought up to date on the real worst carb and inflamation agent: wheat.

I love that many observations are all leading to the same path in diet!

This cancer situation is jaw-dropping in its scope and implications. Here we have the story of a person with an apparent stage 4 cancer, given 3 months to live by multiple physicians, yet made a complete recovery just just by changing diet … and reported by CBN, not as an isolated supernatural event, but as the simple exploit of a long-known fact about cancer biology.

As one of the links puts it:
        “This book (The Biology of Cancer, Robert A. Weinberg) needs a chapter on the Warburg effect and a comprehensive review of Cancer Metabolism. It is interesting that students are taught that tumors can be imaged because cancer cell metabolism is profoundly altered, but little effort is given to explain the nature of the metabolic dysfunction. As discussed in previous posts, it’s strange that oncologists exploit this Warburg effect to image tumors, but they don’t use this information to kill the tumor.”

Even if not all cancers are glucose brittle, it sounds like keto is easily worth a try in every case. Of course, it means that years spent in study towards an oncology specialty were largely a waste of time, and that the cure is not some advanced expensive drug/treatment, but a cheap change in diet. So why isn’t this a headline on every newsstand publication?

Many citizens support massive public expenditures on finding cures for our modern plagues.
        “Sure, I’ll go door to door for the ADA, and sign up for the race for the cure”, they say.
        But I confidently predict that when they are told:
        “These are entirely optional diseases. All you need to do is ditch the carbs, starting with wheat, which is worse than just a carb.”,
        they’ll say:
        “Oh, I could never give up my bagels.”

2. Adam says:

Well its well known cancer is fuelled by sugar, hence wheat would fuel it.
    Also, sugars fuel fungus, which release mycotoxins, some of which are some of the most carcinogenic substances known to man, like Aflatoxin.
    Makes sense that a persistent fungal infection could be flooding your body with cancer causing waste products and suppressing the immune system.

3. Pippa says:

Hello Dr Davis
    Over the Christmas period I was diganosed with breast cancer. Since losing 11 kg’s from the WheatBelly diet, my breasts had shrunk in size. I am absolutely positive that this enabled me to see in the mirror that my right breast had formed an unusal shape which I’d not noticed before losing the weight (I was actually raising my arms above my head to see how much skinner I could look!!). Anyway, the offshoot has been that a 1.2cm cancerous tumour was detected and I was operated on just after Christmas. I am, according to my breast surgeon, “right at the positive end of the sprectrum” and “only” need radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for 5 years to prevent the cancer from returning.
    I am convinced that if I hadn’t been on the diet and lost that amount of weight, I would not have noticed the cancer until much later.
    I thank you from the bottom of my heart for your marvellous insights and expertise and the diet you’ve devised.
    Pippa

Wow, Pippa: What an extraordinary story! I’m glad it turned out well.

And be absolutely, positively, 100% sure that you correct your vitamin D blood level. The data are clear: The likelihood of remission is markedly enhanced with normalization of vitamin D. I aim for 70 ng/ml (180 nmol/L), a level that generally requires around 6000 units in gelcap form. I would rank vitamin D as #2 behind wheat elimination as powerful anticancer strategies.

• Pippa says:

Thank you – have now done this.

• Pippa says:

Can I confirm – the Vitamin D I am currently taking is Cenovis Bone Health Vitamin D3 (1000IU) – one tablet per day – is this sufficient?

• Ali says:

Hi. Make sure you are getting enough vitamin K2. There is new research coming out that indicates K2 is necessary for proper metabolism of vitamin D and calcium among other things. K2 in food is found only in pastured meat, eggs and dairy, and in fermented foods like natto, kefir and sauerkraut, etc. As pastured food is so rare these days, and the Western diet does not include much, if any fermented food, people are very deficient in this element. It is believed to be the ‘Activator X’ that Weston Price discovered in raw pastured butter and which proved to be so healing.

I take vitamin D3 with K2. You cannot overdose on it. As long as you are taking enough to trigger all the processes it controls, any extra will apparently be eliminated. It’s a good element to research.

> … and “only” need radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for 5 years to prevent the cancer from returning.
      Be sure to google: “ketogenic diet cancer therapy”
      and keep an eye on developments.

The conjecture is that cancer cells are glucose brittle, and cannot survive on ketone bodies (whereas normal cells do fine in ketosis). The Wheat Belly dietary recommendations are consistent with a ketogenic diet, if you keep the carb intake low. Be sure to work with an oncologist who is comfortable with the concept that human diet has much more influence on health than might have been implied by their 4 semester hours on nutrition in med school.

4. On a Mission says:

Hello Dr. Davis…
    I believe 100% that the lectins in wheat can cause gastric cancer. I lost my husband last month from complications from gastric cancer. I believe he should have never eaten it his entire life. But like all the rest of us we were dupped into believing wheat…especially whole grains were good for us. He put two and two together a few years ago before this was all exposed. Our son bought us a book for our bathroom called “What Your Poo is Telling You.” He figured it out in the “soft serve” chapter. I believe the damage was already done. Yes, I also agree with you that it is inflammatory from mouth to anus and anywhere in between. I am on a mission to tell young and old alike to steer clear from this poison. I tell them to “gift” themselves two weeks out of their lives to see what changes they experience. I gave it up just to be able to cook easier for the both of us..my body looks and feels totally different. I have ZERO gas. My GI tract thanks me. I’m just sorry this information wasn’t out there years ago. I can tell a wheat consumer a mile a way…they are “puffy.” Also…a probiotic and naturally fermented vegetables are an absolute must for the health of the gut. No sugar and no grain in this body. I have been eating coconut oil for over 10 years…amazing oil…anti-bac, anti-fungal, anti-viral, and anti-parasitic…and the gut and thyroid love it. I thank you for your book and I hope it will save someone from going through what my husband went through. For those of you struggling…keep up the fight. Give your body time to come back into balance…I look forward to hearing you speak locally in the near future as I’m in the area. Regards…

Hi, Mission–

I am truly sorry that you had to hear about these ideas after losing your husband. Your experience is a reminder of how grave these issues can be if not recognized.

I agree: You can pick out most wheat-eaters by their look of puffiness, the edema, inflammation, and weariness that this awful, awful thing exerts. Please feel free to share your crusade with us, as we are all trying to accomplish the same.

5. Anna Williams says:

As far as the comparison goes between wheat and other archaic medicine practices… Well, at least there benefits to a leech bath.

6. Northern Ontario says:

Hello Dr. Davis;

I have been through many blood tests and have had requests by my doctors to take certain anti inflammatory and steroid type drugs in the past 5 years to try and fix this hair loss issue in my beard and constant puffiness and athletes foot. I did a food type experiment last year with myself. It was strange, I kept noticing puffiness in my feet and my hands almost to the point where it was uncomfortable to stand at work and or bend my fingers. My athletes foot, which I thought was from wearing workboots was unbearable and painful. Embarrassed to expose my feet, and very sore to walk in sandals and especially in the mornings right after getting out of bed. Tinactin only masked the pain for so long. My joint pain was just ridiculous. I am now 36 and this has been going on for at least 6 years. Last year I finally had enough with how certain foods were making me feel. Tuna gave me heart burn, beef and chicken made me sick, Dairy of any sort made me keel over in pain and I started noticing that bread and certain beers would just blow me right up. Hands felt huge, almost to the point where I couldn’t see my veins anymore. Picture Barney Rubbles hands. It is hilarious in a sarcastic sense that my doctors could not find anything wrong in 6 years. My wife and I had enough of my complaining…. We stumbled upon Forks Over Knives and Engine 2 and your book. We then cut out all meet, dairy and because wheat made me feel so huge I also cut that out. I lost 36lbs in 4 mo’s. I have a hard time with sugar and I still use it in my coffee in the morning. I use cane sugar but I’m sure it still has an effect on my weight. I’ve introduced eggs and fish back into my diet on occasion. I only eat fresh water non farmed fish and eggs have to be from a local farmer. It’s been a year and a bit now and I have experimented with Ezekiel and whole rye bread. To no avail, I still puff out! My beer choices have changed to only containing rice, so budweiser and expensive organic rice beers are my only relax choices. Dominican Republic was a challenge. I have spent numerous amounts of money on natural doctors and health food remedies with no success. Not until I found your book, the Engine 2 book, Forks Over Knives and removed other foods from my diet. No more puffiness, no more stomach issues, no more headaches, snoring has decreased but I still have a weakness for sugar. I am down to 230 lbs and need to lose alot more since i’m only 5’7″. I have to thank you for your book it has helped me….I used to follow Dr. MacDougall for advice but the bread push is a bit too much. I don’t get that about his site… Anyways….My long winded post was to thank you for your insight and a great read. If you have any suggestions for sugar it would be greatly appreciated….Now for another 30+ lbs. Thanks again!!!!

Regards….

7. Cameron says:

I’m not being sceptic just scientific. About autism and cancer are big clams, but it dosnt sound unreasonable. Is there any scientific evidence for this or research being done at the moment…..it’s all very interesting.

Cameron.

> cancer are big clams, but it dosnt sound unreasonable.
      > Is there any scientific evidence for this or research being
      > done at the moment…..it’s all very interesting.

See book referenced at:

> About autism and cancer are big claims …

Well, I just finished reading:
      Cancer as a Metabolic Disease: On the Origin, Management, and Prevention of Cancer
      by Thomas Seyfried
      ISBN-10: 0470584920
      ISBN-13: 978-0470584927

Dr. (Phd.) Seyfried makes a convincing case that cancer-as-a-genetic disease researchers are digging in the wrong place. He lays out the biochemistry for cancer as a disease that results from respiratory distress in the mitochodria. He also has a credible explanation for metastasis (which the gene researchers don’t, really). I did learn that cancer cells need to be deprived of both glucose and glutamine. Limiting blood concentrations of glucose is much easier than glutamine.

He ends up recommending that cancer sufferers consider KD-R (Ketogenic Diet, Restricted) before blasting themselves with rad and chemo. Early KD-R results (all rogue patients and rogue doctors) are promising. There are almost no real well-controlled studies of KD therapy (outside of epilepsy), because there is limited opportunity for profitable patent-protected drugs here, and putting people on an Eskimo diet for a few months is so, umm, “difficult” and “dangerous”, don’t you know. He also thinks that some new drugs targeting cancer metabolism might be useful in mop-up – making sure the cancer is 100% gone.

Seyfried, and the KD-R (aka RKD) therapy community, and the keto communities at large don’t seem to be aware of the peculiar hazards of any amount of wheat or fructose in the allowed carb load. I was able all too easily to find “keto approved” recipes with these toxins. I wonder if the KD would have to be quite so R absent these inflammatory agents.

Meanwhile, the book also concludes that being on a keto diet is likely to be highly preventative.

8. Pingback: Why Go Wheat-Free? | AngelicView