Hunger Pangs

Eliminate modern high-yield semi-dwarf Triticum aestivum . . . and what is the effect on appetite?

A reduction in appetite is among the most common and profound experiences resulting from wheat elimination. If you read the comments left here and in the Wheat Belly Facebook page, you will be struck with how many people experience this phenomenon. I know that I have felt it: Wake up in the morning, little interest in breakfast for several hours. Lunch? Maybe I’ll have a few bites of something. Dinner . . . well, I’d like to exercise first.

The wheatless report that:

Appetite diminishes to the point where you can’t remember whether you’ve eaten or not. It is not uncommon to miss a meal, perfectly content. Calorie intake drops by 400 calories per day, on average, calories you otherwise would not have needed but all went to . . . you know where.
Hunger feels different: It’s not the gnawing, rumbling hunger that plagues you every 2 hours. In its place, you will find that hunger feels like a soft reminder that, gee, maybe it’s time to have something to eat because you haven’t had anything in–what?–4 to 6 hours. And it’s a subtle reminder, not a desperate hunt that makes you knock people aside at the food bar, steal coworkers’ lunches stored in the refrigerator, salivating at the mere thought of food.
–The simplest foods satisfy–It no longer requires an all-you-can-eat buffet to satisfy, but a few small pieces of healthy food. (Yeah, but what happens to revenues at Kraft, Nabisco, and Kelloggs, not to mention the revenues at agribusiness giants ADM and Monsanto? Slash consumption by, say, 30%, you likewise slash revenues by 30%. What would shareholders say?)
–Even prolonged periods of not eating, i.e., fasting, is endured with ease.

Hunger and the relentless search for something to eat disappear for most people. By eliminating the appetite-stimulating properties of wheat, we return to a natural state of eating for sustenance, to satisfy physiologic need. We are no longer victims of this incredibly powerful appetite-stimulant called gliadin from wheat.

This is why many diets fail: They fail to remove this powerful appetite stimulant. You might eat only lean meats, limit your calories, and exercise 90 minutes per day, but as long as the gliadin protein is pushing your appetite button, you will want to eat more or you will have to mount monumental willpower to resist it.

So the key is to remove the gliadin protein from your life, i.e., eliminate all things wheat.

This entry was posted in Appetite stimulation. Bookmark the permalink.

131 Responses to Hunger Pangs

1. Anthony says:

PJ, Dr. Davis, thanks much for your replies. I have given Steve the url to this site, so, hopefully he will read it and benefit from the wisdom here. Yes, I too was more than a bit befuddled by the “sat fat isn’t good for you” advice; but then, a) I don’t hear too well any more, so maybe I misunderstood him; or, b) it’s the usual crap that too many physicians spout out when faced with a complex disorder and the patient raises the issue of potential utility of lo-carb, high fat, mod protein, and, especially wheat/grain/starch free.

2. Mike says:

This question has been asked before, but I cannot locate an answer: Like many of your fans, I take vitamins and supplements. Some of these pills contain maltodextrin as a filler. The supplier (Life Extension) tells me it is only a very small amount of maltodextrin in each pill, but my question is, if one takes say half a doxen pills containing maltodextrin would this seriously compromise a wheat-free lifestyle?

Hi, Mike–

Likely not.

Maltodextrin is just a glucose polymer that is digested to glucose. Worst case scenario: a slight rise in blood glucose.

3. shanti says:

Hi, Dr. Davis! The giveaway is now live on my Facebook page! If you could mention it on your page, that would be great! Thank you,
    Shanti

4. Mike says:

Assuming I am too lazy to make my own salad dressing, and wish to use products purchased in the market, which of the following is accetable: balsamic vinegar, or ranch, or bleu cheese or thousand island?

• PJ says:

The secret is to find a dressing that contains no wheat products or polyunsaturated oils. Good luck with that. I like making dressing with sour cream and salsa with a little garlic and salt and pepper. Kind of a southwestern style; really good on a “taco salad”. Otherwise I mix sour cream with mustard, apple cider vinegar and spices. Don’t miss the bottled dressings at all.

• Catherine says:

Right on PJ: make up your own any way you like: you can add lemon juice, chives, any herbs or spices you like

• Pam says:

Walden Farms salad dressings are “zero” everything (cals, carbs, fats). You can see the list of them on netrition.com. The reason I use these is because getting salad dressings to the right “viscosity” without starches/sugars is kind of hard, they turn out really runny and watery. I use these dressings as “bases” for any kind of dressing you can imagine. Some people complain that the flavors are “flat” but adding a little Splenda, cumin, cilantro, chili paste to the WF French turns out an awesome “taco flavored” which you can serve on salad or make a taco filling and use as sauce. There is “Coleslaw” dressing which you can add celery seed, onion, and garlic and mix with shredded cabbage and have a pretty authentic coleslaw that any family member would enjoy. There are many flavors, and a zillion of combinations. Fresh herbs, spices, hot sauces, splenda, even lemon/lime juice liven up the flavors. You can mix up just enough for single serving or doctor up the whole bottle. Keeps for a long time in the fridge.

5. Laly says:

Hi Dr Davis
    I live in india & got to know you,thru CBN.I tried wheat free,now about 40days,i dont binge on sweets,like before,feeling lot better,but still got my belly!!I.In india wheat is one of the staple food,besides rice .
    Can you advise me if i can take a egg fry & protinex health drink for breakfast,also what about OAT meal.
    Also how do i get your book in India,any outlet here,pls do let me know.
    Thanks

Hi, Laly–

While the primary cause of visceral fat in most people is wheat, it can also be caused by any carbohydrate. Thus, cutting carbohydrates reduces visceral fat. Oatmeal is an especially awful provocateur of high blood sugar and thereby visceral fat.

If you have access to Amazon, they carry Wheat Belly.

6. Pamela Andrews says:

It is nice not to be interupted all the time by hunger and have to stop in the middle of the day and eat. Now that rarely happens.

7. Christina says:

This is the most noticeable change that I’ve noticed. The hunger is different, more manageable. My goal was to clear up acne and eat dairy again, however the biggest and most unexpected benefit has been the ability to fast. I fast for religious reasons and always felt like such a slacker for being unable to make it more than a couple hours before NEEDING to eat. Today I fasted till 4pm with only a handful of nuts around 11am – and that’s even with it being at a point in my cycle when I eat far more.

I also am noticing a decrease in my food bills. Last month I spent $100 less on food for myself — after subtracting out the holiday food I bought for my parents and the shopping I did on the last day of December. At Christmas I ate a small plate and didn’t gorge myself, I also was OK not eating the entire time I was at my parents house. I continued to rummage out of habit – but they have piles of bread and nothing else so I just shrugged and moved on.

Priceless, Christina!

Yes, you will eat better, more expensive food . . . but less of it.

Ironically, modern high-yield wheat was created to solve world hunger. Instead, it has worsened it!

8. Daizy says:

Suffering excessive hunger pangs accompanied with arrythmias
    such as ectopic beats and possible fibrillation (feel the heart quivering).

Seen endocrinologist, cardiologist, nutritionist, physician to no avail.

I tried liquid magnesium, and now eating foods high Vit C, tried L Carnitine,
    potassium (once), Q10 once. Would prefer to obtain nutrients from food source,
    but this problem is worsening and would consider taking vitamins. Tried Ascorbic
    Acid, didn’t help much.

Not had wheat for over two years, eating healthy, but restricted due to multiple
    food allergies. Severe allergies.

Unsure of the validity of serum tests for nutrients and of hair analysis.

Would appreciate your input. Desperate. Thank you.