Is it too much to say that eliminating wheat TRANSFORMS lives?

I don’t think so.

Because I see it every day. I see people discovering that the “secret” to weight loss has been staring them in the face for years in the form of the bran muffin or breakfast cereal, all while they search and search for complex answers, exercise themselves silly, and cry in their pillow in frustration. I see people identifying the key to multiple facets of health, like arthritis, depression, and gastrointestinal struggles, by recognizing that the pretzels and bread crumbs have been the source of the pain. Walking away from wheat yields so many unexpected and dramatic turnarounds in weight and health that, even in the few weeks that Wheat Belly has been out, I’ve already got enough great stories to fill a book–no, several books.

Wheat Belly Blog reader DeeDee posted this wonderfully detailed story of wheat-filled floundering, followed by rediscovery of health and weight control sans wheat.

Three weeks ago my husband, who is in severe pain from osteoarthritis of the knees, came home from his orthopaedic surgeon’s office. “You definitely need your knees replaced”, the surgeon said. “You have to lose 100 lbs. first, though.”

My husband used to be an active man who could outwork and outwalk me. Major depression and major weight gain as well as severe arthritis pain hit him about 15 years ago. Then he was stricken with sleep apnea and high blood pressure. I became the person doing the heavy lifting and carrying in the family, but my weight was creeping up, too. We tried the low carb diet but as soon as we started adding in carbs (whole grains!), we started eating everything in sight and fell off the diet. His blood sugar became elevated, and he started taking Metformin along with his antidepressants, blood pressure medication, and anti-inflammatories for his joint pain.

In the meantime, I had been compulsively exercising to keep my weight under control, putting in 6 miles daily on the track and weight training three to four times a week. My weight continued to climb, although more slowly. I was also aware of a brain “fogginess”. It was nothing I could really put my finger on, but I just didn’t feel as sharp as I used to. My energy level was way down. I was having some memory problems. When the economy hit the skids and my company shut down, I took a job at a quarter of my former salary because I just didn’t have the energy, stamina, or brain power to work in a demanding job. I went to several physicians with my complaints, for I was really alarmed. I was told “welcome to middle age”, or variations thereof. Then I started having severe bilateral foot pain. I developed a raging case of plantar fasciitis (and heel spurs) and, even though it was supposed to resolve after @ 12 months, mine was still going strong after four YEARS. By the end of the work day, I could barely walk. We started eating nearly all of our meals out because it was too physically painful for me to stand and cook after a long day on my feet at a low-paying job.

When my husband came home in despair at the thought of another round of calorie restrictions and out of control hunger, I broached the subject of a wheat-free diet. A friend of mine, younger than I am, had recently been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and, upon testing, was found to have gluten sensitivity. My mother has rheumatoid arthritis, and my family is plagued with autoimmune problems. In my research, I came across information about the Wheat Belly Diet. “We’ll try it for two weeks!” I told my husband. “If we don’t feel better, we’ll do something else.”

The only thing we cut the first week was wheat. We still had potatoes and rice and, occasionally, grits. We limited, but did not cut out, sugar. At the end of the first week, my husband said “This probably sounds weird, but I’m not really coming home so hungry that I would stop at a drive through for a snack before we went out to dinner like I was before!” I had noticed the same thing. After a breakfast of bacon and eggs or an omelet (we have lots of chickens on pasture and unlimited eggs!), I would eat a salad and some cottage cheese for lunch, and pass all those lovely fast food restaurants on the way home without incident. Hunh. My feet felt better, and I quit taking the strong anti-inflammatory medication that I needed to get through the day.

By the middle of the second week, I had so much energy after work, feeding the livestock, and cooking that I worked late into the night cleaning my neglected house. Then, over the weekend, I saw that I had some instant breakfast drinks left, and I had a couple of them after working out in the yard instead of water. I spent Sunday tired and low spirited with my shoulders, elbows, knees, and feet aching. I couldn’t figure out what had happened! Then I read the ingredients of the instant breakfast drink. Wheat starch was down toward the end. It must have been a very small amount, and I couldn’t believe it had that big of an effect on how I felt but it did! Meanwhile, my husband was out happily working away in his workshop after work, spending hours building new workbenches. He also announced that for lunch, he wanted some meat, like a hamburger patty or a piece of grilled chicken, and lots of salad greens sprinkled with a little parmesan cheese with salsa for topping, nothing else. He craved salad! My husband had never even wanted to see salad come into the house before and refused to have it on his plate.

By the end of the third week, we’ve both lost weight effortlessly! Both of us are limiting our carb intake not because we’re on a diet and have to, but because we just don’t have the taste for it any longer. We had our Thanksgiving dinner at work last Thursday. It was quite a spread. I was quite happy with my sliced ham, greens, green beans, and fruit salad (grapes, nuts and citrus fruits sprinkled with coconut). I passed up the stuffing, gravy, and mashed potatoes without regret. Three weeks ago, I would have been all over the dessert tray. I just didn’t have any desire for the sweets. The fruit salad was sweet enough for me.

Isn’t that great? We’ll have to wait for DeeDee’s update to know whether wheat-freedom will be sufficient for her husband’s knees to improve enough to avoid having them replaced.

This entry was posted in Wheat-elimination success stories. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Is it too much to say that eliminating wheat TRANSFORMS lives?

1. Barb says:

My husband and I have been wheat and high glycemic free now for seven weeks. We have both lost 12 pounds, have lots more energy, no cravings, don’t eat between meals …. My fasting blood sugar has gone from an average of 110 to 85. Mostly all positives. However, I have a concern. My hair is thinning, quite a bit. Am I lacking a nutrient? I do have Hashimoto’s disease and take synthroid and cytomel. Blood tests were in the normal thyroid ranges just before going on the wheat free plan. Is it possible losing weight or eating differently has affected my thyroid levels and causing hair loss? I don’t think Medicare would pay for retesting so soon. I thought about ordering your blood test but live in NYS and can’t get them. Any suggestions Dr. Davis? Also, my husband and I both take Nexium…. Have done so for several years. We want to get off it but understand there is a rebound effect. What is the best way to get off Nexium?

• Julie says:

Nexium will block a lot of vitamin and mineral absorption. If you think there may be a problem coming off them then halve the dose for a week then drop it the second week.

You may find that you have a wheat intolerance that has contributed to the Hashimoto’s. As in the wheat intolerance triggers very similar antibodies to thyroid antibodies and can subsequently trigger the Thyroid antibodies into activity. Maybe taking the wheat out of your diet has probably lowered the ‘irritation’ level of both types of antibodies and you are getting a lessening of the Hashimoto symptoms. You may need to adjust your thyroid medication dosage.

There is a very high proportion of people with wheat intolerance who have thyroid problems, much higher than the average population.

Hi, Barb–
      With hair loss, always think thyroid. Also, sometimes the thyroid preparations themselves can do this, though I don’t know why.

Once in a while, someone will respond to biotin, a B vitamin, 2 mg (2000 mcg) per day.

But I don’t believe that skipping bagels and muffins can be blamed.

• Susan says:

Dr. Eades had a post a while back that I looked at when I was concerned about my hair falling out when I was a several weeks into carb restriction. My hair has since grown back just fine. I believe the information I looked at was in the bottom portion of this blog.

I am not good on computers, so I hope I copied this correctly. :>)

Susan

• Mary says:

Barb, congrats on going wheat free! I promise you that you will feel better than you have in many, many years! As for the hair loss, I have some insight for you. Both my mother-in-law and myself have each lost 65# after going wheat free (mine in 9 months, hers in 7). Both of us have each lost more than 1/2 of our hair. I have an unusual thyroid condition where I cannot convert T4 to T3 and take cytomel, she has no thyroid problem. Both of us take a proton pump inhibitor (I take Prevacid, she takes Prilosec – both in generic forms). I stopped mine about a month ago and my hair stopped falling out – same with her as well. So I believe that the Nexium you take may well be blocking some essential nutirient(s) for your hair health.

However, that said, you must remember that your body is experiencing not only a weight loss, but a complete diet overhaul. That’s very stressful to a body that was literally addicted to wheat and now has to heal from (presumably) decades of wheat damage. Repair in the body takes resources that may otherwise go to maintaining hair health. Try to wean off the Nexium if you can and mark your calendar – I’ll bet in a month or so your hair loss slows to a normal few hairs each day (10-100 lost daily is normal).

For me, I have to admit. My hair has always been long and luscious and thick. Now, not so much! But you know what? I actually don’t mind because I love the changes I see in my BODY. Ok, so it falls out and I end up with a thin head of hair and a rockin’ hard & fit body – I can handle that! :)
      (If you want to try a supplement, a friend of mine used Viviscal and swore by it. I may have to see if it will help grow my hair faster – it’s safe and gluten free, of course!). Best wishes to you and remember, it’s very likely only temporary!

2. Janne says:

I feel great! I cannot pin-point it, but I feel so LIGHT not eating wheat. I have lost maybe 6 pounds but I was not over-weight to begin with. My face isn’t puffy anymore. It’s a nebulous thing, is all I can say. Am I going back to eating wheat? Not anytime soon, hopefully never.

That’s great, Janne!

Now, if we believe that arguments of the Wheat Lobby, you have fallen in with the rest of the people who have been subjected to mass hysteria and only THINK you feel better.

• Janne says:

Ha! I think being down a whole pant size, slimmer waistline and not being puffy-faced are not figments of imagined happiness. Bah-humbug to Big Food.

3. Anya says:

This is such a lovely and heartwarming story! I really enjoyed reading it, especially the last line about mood. I am getting a PhD in Clinical Psychology (almost done!) and it makes me really upset to know how much mood is impacted by wheat. My most recent internship was in a large county hospital in inpatient and almost patient was put on an antidepressant. Most of the time they had vague symptoms and were not psychotic or had severe depression. In restrospect, it makes me really wonder what type of diet these people kept and if wheat was the culprit, and if the hospital food exacerbated it? I was amazed at how the patients were so readily encouraged to take these drugs and often wondered if something else was the cause of their symptoms. (Now I am remembering the part in Wheat Belly about the VA and schizophrenia.)

What makes me very angry is that with my own experience with colitis and other chronic illness, is how much doctors are unwilling to look for reasons outside of meds or expensive testing. It is so horrible how little common sense some of them have. Dr. Davis, obviously you are not in this category, but what happened to old fashioned doctors who took the time to listen and care? Why is it all about medication? Is this the trend in medical school these days? It seems like no one wants to get to the root of any problem, at least in my personal experience. They just hand me an rx and push me out of the door.

I am so happy that some have found health again, which includes mental health! Thanks for a great story or recovery and hope. :)

Anya: > Why is it all about medication?

Because that’s what they learned in med school, and that’s what the attractive young lady from the drug company is pushing.

> Is this the trend in medical school these days?

It’s more a question of what’s not, and never has been a trend in med school. Med students are not taught that nutrition could play any significant role in the majority of textbook conditions.

> It seems like no one wants to get to the root of any problem …

Because they CAN’T, with their training. Wheat is presenting unexpected symptoms, or symptoms diagnosed as something else. The textbook solutions aren’t working.

> They just hand me an rx and push me out of the door.

And then there are the complications added by the way insurance compensates them. They need to churn the customers through as quickly as possible.

I see discussions like this as a small piece of the solution: Empowering you with information that makes you BETTER informed than your doctors.

My colleagues have, in effect, declared themselves largely uninterested in the day-to-day of nutrition, preferring attending to acute illness, medications, and procedures instead. So their interest is ministering to catastrophic health. Our interest is health.

Yes, how much mental illness is brought on or worsened by this thing pushed on us by “official” agencies, fills the menu at the hospital, and generates addiction more so in the vulnerable brain? I have no figures, but I’m certain it’s a LOT.

Dr.Davis: Empowering you with information that makes you BETTER informed than your doctors. My colleagues have, in effect, declared themselves largely uninterested in the day-to-day of nutrition …

Another aspect of this is that the problem is extraordinary. I can’t think of a precedent for this sort of thing.

So in addition to the particulars of medicine vs. nutrition, we have the perfectly normal rational skeptical response of “extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof”.

OK, here are 295 cites. Connect the dots yourself. Skeptic: “I don’t have time for that.”

OK, it’s been done for you in this book. Skeptic: “That’s a popular best seller, with recipes! Surely you don’t expect me to take that seriously (especially when I have a vague subconscious unease about the wider implications).”

4. Anya says:

When I said Dr. Davis, you are not in this category, I meant not in the category of having little common sense. I hope that was clear! You have helped us all so much. :)

5. lucy says:

Quote: “My husband mentioned to me today “You know, I’m happier now than I’ve been in years. Do you think cutting the wheat out could affect my mood, too?”

5 minutes before reading this article, I had just sat and wrote my food diary entry for the day. My exact words were: “Day 22. I feel clearer, more energetic and happier than I have my entire life. Making a cup of tea for my husband is no longer a chore (really it got to the point where I couldn’t even be bothered to go and do something so small. I just didn’t have the energy!) Getting up in the morning and doing stuff’ now is easy, instead of putting it off for later. (And I’ve never been a morning person.) I feel as though I’m operating at a higher frequency. Amazing.’

So yes, I absolutely believe that cutting out wheat and other bad foods can affect your mood.

I’m on day 22 of a Primal diet: no grains, no sugar, no ‘bad’ vegetable oils. Lots of green leafy vegetables, healthy oils and animal fats, meat and seafood, and nuts.

Excellent, Lucy!

The mental and emotional effects are quite real. For me, it was the awful waves of “fog” and fatigue that often made me wonder why I had to struggle to focus and feel good. All a distant memory now.

If you ever reminisce about the wheat-filled days, have a bagel: All the nastiness comes right back. For me, it’s 48 hours of murky thinking, falling asleep at my desk, unpredictable moods.

6. Lauren says:

I’m wondering, does everyone experience these quick turnabout effects with almost instant cut in cravings and hunger? I am a week into the wheat belly diet (and my husband a few days) – we are eating no grains of any kind, no sugar, healthy protein at every meal (for us that means organic eggs or fish mostly), lots of veggies, drinking lots of water, no caffeine, etc. But I still find I’m very hungry. It isn’t that I’m craving sugar (though I still have a ‘taste’ for it and know I’d love the taste if I ate it) but so many people post that things like “I’m just not hungry” or “I’m stuffed after breakfast” and I don’t feel that way. I’m also wondering about the inclusion/exclusion of dairy. So many times I’ve been told dairy is no-go by many different nutritionists and alternative practitioners. Advice about any of this? Warm regards, Lauren (New Zealand)

• Maya says:

Lauren, I went on a low carb high fat diet in January, which basically means wheatfree diet. It took up to 3 months too completely loose the cravings and start feeling when my body was really hungry, but during those months I ate nuts or cheese to get my body back into balance. But I was not only hooked on wheat, I had a lifelong sugar addiction that I tried to get rid off. And it worked quite well. Now for over 6 months, I feel I have been able to eat according to what my body wants.

• AllisonK says:

In my experience, it took about two weeks of being hungry all the time and wanting to eat everything in sight. Then, suddenly, one day I was satisfied and realized I hadn’t thought about food all day. Thought maybe I was sick, but nope, after falling off the wagon a couple times(after family functions) I found that it takes less and less time each time to stop wanting to eat everything.

• Julie says:

Up your fats Lauren, they will help curb the hunger.

• Sol y Sombra says:

It takes a different period of time for everyone, I guess… I have been on the Primal Blueprint eating plan for a month and a half now (this is a low-carb, high-fat diet without grains and vegetable oils). Much to my surprise I can confirm that I feel a lot less hunger now, in fact I am almost never hungry at meal times… Satiety is a big advantage of this type of diet. I did struggle with my carb cravings for the first 10-12 days or so, so I guess you just have to keep up the fight for a little longer. By the way, Mark Sisson has a lot of info in his blog about what he calls “the low carb flu” (the symptoms most people experience when going from a high-carb to a low-carb diet).

• Sol y Sombra says:

And I agree with Julie that you should up you fats – it makes a dramatic difference in satiety once you do that.

• Debbie B in MD says:

You probably need more fat in your diet. Something like avacadoes. They are great for you and will help keep you full. Maybe some nuts too.

While most people experience the appetite reduction within days, others require months. Don’t know why. But it comes.

You’ll know when you see people at an all-you-can-eat buffet eating ungodly quantities of food while you are content just sampling a little of this or that. You will realize that the American style of consuming endless quantities and limitless portions is a creation of wheat consumption, not gluttony from weakness of character as the USDA and HHS suggest.

Oh and the dairy: Putting aside lactose intolerance and dairy protein allergy, there are indeed adverse effects of consuming the product of bovine mammary glands. However, these effects, I believe, are not so important that absolute avoidance is required for most of us. I do believe that we should use dairy products sparingly and not allow them to dominate our meals. Cheese is the most benign due to the fermentation process used to make it.

• Lauren says:

Thank you to Dr Davis and all the rest of you who so kindly responded. It is good to know that I am not failing at this because I still feel hungry. I buy nothing pre-packaged so am very careful and I definitely already have more energy than before. Thank you, too, for the response re: dairy, Dr Davis. As a mum who breastfed my children, I’ve always wondered a bit about all these human adults eating a food for infant cows, but I’m glad to know it can be done in moderation. Organic, plain, yogurt OK? (We have a local NZ brand who does the entire process in the container you buy it in, nothing added, full of probiotics, with cream on top!). Thanks again to you all (and I’ll be adding some extra fat to my meals, too). Warm regards, Lauren in New Zealand (where, in my entire 10 years here, I have come across only one – yes ONE – all-you-can-eat buffet.)

• Susan says:

After almost three years of a grain/sugar/seed-oil free diet with plenty of good meats and good fats, I still find myself overeating. I don’t do it because I am hungry, however. I do it when I am bored. I have to stay engaged in some activity. If I don’t stay busy I start prowling around the kitchen looking for something to snack on like nuts or pork rinds.

Susan

7. MJ says:

Lauren, I’ll add another vote to increasing fats. That was hard for me to do because I’ve been so brainwashed into getting every bit of fat out of my diet, but when I overcame that fear and included fat, the hunger went away. I’m having some full-fat dairy — cream in my coffee, and occasional full-fat ice cream. Now when I feel hungry, it’s a sign for me that I’m getting some wheat without knowing it. Wheat can be hidden in some unlikely places. I was unwittingly poisoning myself with bacon horseradish cheese curds. The “bacon” was fake, made of wheat and seasonings.

8. Pingback: Pizza is a vegetable - Page 12 - Christian Forums

9. Sammer89 says:

I would just say that agree with all the other life changing accounts, but just wanted to add this wheat-free life style isn’t for middle aged or older people who have had health problems. I am 22 and had pretty normal health all my life. I am following the recommendations in Dr. Davis’ book and have gotten in the best shape of my life. Here is my amazon review of the book:

Sammer89: … wheat-free life style isn’t for middle aged or older people who have had health problems.
      Why do you say that? (And your AMZN review doesn’t say either)

• MJ says:

I think he meant it isn’t ONLY for middle aged or older people with health problems. I’m glad to see this viewpoint from a younger person.

• Sammer89 says:

Right I’m sorry. It isn’t only for Middle Age and Older people, but people of all ages. My Amazon review doesn’t directly talk about it, but it details how I didn’t switch to a Wheat Free lifestyle since I had medical problems. I mainly tried it to get in better shape and it certainly did the trick. I still work out a fair amount, but now I am getting into very toned body that was impossible before.

10. Susan says:

DeeDee,

You and your husband’s experience follow mine and my husband’s experience to a “T”, minus the having a farm!
    Good luck to you both! :>)

Susan

• Susan says:

DeeDee,

My husband just reminded me that we DO have an 80 acre ranch, just no chickens. We raise hay for horses! Sheeesh! I hope my wheat-free brains does better than that soon! LOL!

Susan

11. Mary says:

“Is it too much to say that eliminating wheat TRANSFORMS lives?” Simple answer: NO!

But it would be even more accurate to say that it SAVES lives! (And it saves joints and saves marriages and saves jobs and saves relationships and saves sanity and on, and on, and on!).

Wheat elimination saved my life. Plain. Simple. True.

12. Kirsty A. Ellis says:

I have very little doubt that giving up wheat can transform your life. I have very little doubt because I am a completely different person to the me of a year ago. A year ago I had constant stomach troubles (I was told I had IBS IN 1991 and assumed it was that although I felt my symptoms didn’t totally fit IBS), joint pain, headaches, I was a one-woman Eczema and Psoriasis explosion and my blood sugar was all over the place, I slept through my days and felt horrendous all the time. I had even begun to have severe coughing episodes when eating bread. I was basically in a highly allergic state all the time with all the sneezing etc that came with it, even sometimes chest pain and or a swollen tongue after eating. Nothing was relieving it. I felt I was developing new allergies all the time.

I had also developed an unhealthy attitude to food and had a laundry list of only about eight things I was willing to eat, most of which happened to contain wheat. I kept telling my doctor I was okay, even though I knew I wasn’t, in a tone that brokered no argument, and with hindsight it was really stupid of me as I could have been diagnosed years ago, as I have an excellent dilligent doctor, whom I have since apologised to for not confessing how bad I felt, and had been feeling for years.

It seemed that things had accelerated from being an intermittent problem to a constant one. I blamed a severe drug allergy I had in 2009. I now know I was wrong. Skin tests against different materials were negative, as was a Celiac Test. I then read about wheat allergy and requested a test for that and was diagnosed as having a wheat allergy. I did a one-month elimination challenge with a Dietitcian and the results were amazing.

I plodded along feeling much better for a few months, then along came Wheat Belly. I now know I have a lot less allergies than I thought, nuts are not the problem, legumes are, I no longer eat grains, and try not to have carbs after lunch, and as a result my reflux is all but gone at night, and my skin is even clearer. I have much to thank Wheat for i.e consolidating what I have been learned already, and showing me a clear path ahead to follow. I look forward to trying the recipies I have read because I have lost my fear of food now and am more adventureous.

I am trying to convert my parents but it is easier said than done, especially with my wheat addicted Dad. Both of my parents have health conditions that would benefit from this way of life and I’d love them to feel as good as I do. I am determined to persevere with them both.

The icing on the cake is the loss of bloating and reduction of leg swelling. This time last year my right leg in particular looked like it might explode. I am thinner than I have been in years, heal faster and seem to be recovering from illness quicker, even though I am on Azathiaprine after the drug allergy debacle, which I hope to be able to come off of in the near future.

If someone told me I could feel like this a year ago, I wouldn’t have believed them, long may it continue, wheat and gluten, grains etc who needs ‘em – not me that’s for sure.

Wonderful, Kirsty!

It truly is amazing how far down this path you can go before the answer presents itself. You were a healthy person all along . . . until your gastrointestinal system, your airway, your immune system, your central nervous system, and your skin encountered this thing called wheat.

13. Dawn says:

Hello, I came across your book tonight on the T-Tapp forums. I have been reading and am excited yet skeptical. I have read so many different viewpoints that I don’t even know up from down anymore. I am 32 and have struggled with my weight my whole life. I grew up eating whatever and whenever I wanted. I didn’t care a whole lot until I had my son nearly two years ago and realized that I want to be around to see him grow up. I was recently told that I will be diabetic if I don’t make changes now. I have horrible inflammation and pain in my knees, hips and ankles. I have been insomniac since I can remember. I have migraines daily and blurred vision. I have struggled with depression and panic attacks. I am tired of being tired and lazy. I want to make a change not only for myself but for my husband and son. I want to show them that my “I love you’s” are not just words but also willingness to sacrifice to be with them. Food is not more important than they are! Thankfully my local library carries the book so I will check it out and hopefully have the book ordered soon. I hope that I can do this and I hope that it helps me the way that others are saying it’s helping them. I can’t keep living this way.

• MJ says:

Dawn, I wish Wheat Belly had been around when I was your age. I have been dieting for over 60 years — started in 5th grade! I’ve done Weight Watchers, Diet Workshop, Optifast, and every looney weight loss plan that I found in a magazine. I followed the official guidelines, eating plenty of healthy whole grains, and cutting my fat intake down to almost zero. I’ve used incredible will power, sometimes when literally starving myself, always eventually gaining back the weight and feeling like a failure. The most comforting message I got from Wheat Belly is, “it’s not your fault.” The so-called experts were wrong and still are.

I’ve been wheat-free for two months. Have I lost a ton of weight? No, but so many of my health conditions have reversed, I know I’m on the right track. My insomnia is gone, my vision has cleared, I don’t get hungry for hours after a meal, I’m much more laid back, and don’t even get stage fright when I have to do public speaking, which is a minor miracle! I’m seeing my doctor in a couple of days to review lab tests, which I hope will show that I’m no longer pre-diabetic. I’m no medical expert, but I know that going wheat-free has given me real hope for becoming healthy at a time when health care has become scary. You absolutely can do this. You’re young, and you can clear up the inflammation in your joints before they get so bad that you have to have knee replacements like I did. Take some advice from an old lady who’s getting younger every day — absolutely read the book, but go to your cupboard right now and start getting rid of anything that has wheat in it. It’s probably in everything that comes in a box. Good luck!

• Dawn says:

Thank you so much!! I raided the cupboards today and we took two boxes of stuff to the shelter. Which I must admit was hard giving food that I won’t eat to someone else!

I’m sorry that it took so long for you to find the right lifestyle. I know I have gone through my share of diets to no avail…just ended up giving up and then feeling like dirt because I couldn’t stick with anything. The good thing is that my hubby is totally on board!! And I am reading Sugar Nation as well and am going to cut out sugar too, which is hard for someone who used to eat a canister of store bought frosting in one sitting. (I can’t believe I admitted that!)

I hope that your lab tests come back good! I wish you the best! Thank you so much for your response and encouragement. :0)

• MJ says:

Hey, Dawn, good for you for emptying out those cupboards. It’s great that your husband is on board. Mine is too, and it really makes a difference. I had my doctor’s appointment today, and she was thrilled with what I’m doing. I had been a little worried about eating full fat because I had been so brainwashed to think fat was bad, but my cholesterol numbers were good enough for her to cut my Lipitor in half.

I’ll have to look into Sugar Nation. I’ve cut out sugar as well. None of the baked sweet stuff appeals to me anymore. It should only take you a couple of days being wheat-free before you discover that you don’t get hungry between meals and don’t crave baked goods and sweets. That’s what makes this something that can be a way of life rather than another failed diet.

• Dawn says:

MJ, that is amazing!! So glad your report was a good one! I pray it continues to improve for you.

My scale is telling me that I lost 10 pounds in 1 day…is that even possible? We even had to cheat yesterday and eat at Qdoba (chicken taco salads with a huge helping of guacamole).

14. MJ says:

Wow! That’s impressive, Dawn. Don’t expect that to happen every day, but that’s a great start. I don’t know what was in the Taco salad, but the guacamole should be a good choice. Avacados are “good fats” and shouldn’t be a problem. Keep up the good work!

15. Nate Smith says:

Help!
    Doc you need to sell a recipe book with stuff you can get at Wynn Dixie and Publix . I lived on wheat crackers, cereal,wheat waffles, pasta,noodles for 67 years and i cut it all out 2 weeks ago ,but its getting old eating eggs,peanuts and hamburger type pattys and chicken legs followed by yougurt for my digestion . I was 195 and still are 195 ,but i exercise a lot like 1 1/2 hours daily and rehydrate with water, unsweetened fruit juice ,and a packet of TRUVIA my favorite diet sugar (tastes a lot like sugar ,I keep thinking it might be?).I can get to 191 after exercise but next day AM weigh in 194-5. Body Fat 26.2% on my Walmart scale.
    So ,can i ever have rice or potatoes ? as a wheat substitute because it satisfys a need . My stomach is smaller ,my pants fit OK now and I still have the same weight (water weight from 70 Ozs a day avg . three sets of Tennis I drink 36 ozs,so does everyone else )please email I bought your book .My wife is losing weight like 3 lbs in two weeks ,not me.

Hey, Nate!

Please come back here after you have read the book and digested its message. My prediction: You will be enlightened and discover that many of the notions in healthy eating you thought had value were . . . worthless!

26.2%? Hmmm. Something is VERY wrong with this picture. Let us know what happens.

16. Doron says:

I just read this blog posting and found it very interesting… I came across the book Wheat Belly about three months ago and adjusted my diet accordingly soon after reading it. While I don’t follow the book’s recommendations to the letter, I am strict on myself having eliminated all wheat, potatoes and rice from my diet. I have also eliminated all processed foods (as much as I found possible). In addition, I have reduced my fruit intake significantly. At the same time, I have increased my berry consumption, expanded the amounts and types of nuts in my regular diet and have taken to including avocado and coconut in my daily routine.
    As expected, in 12 weeks I have dropped just over 20 pounds from 252 lbs to 229 lbs and still going strong. As everyone else has noticed too, my energy levels are way up and my sugar levels are way down, as are my lipid counts and makeup…
    The most surprising element though, is that hair has started sprouting in places on the top of my head, places that have been bald for decades! Not sure how this fits in with all those who have experienced hair loss, but there is no doubt that something in my change of eating habits has brought this about…
    Definitely something to think about!