Wheat Belly: Quick and Dirty

For everyone who asked for a simplified, essentials-only version of the diet I advocate in Wheat Belly, here it is.

This is the very same diet I advise for patients in my office that achieves spectacular reductions in small LDL particles (the #1 cause of heart disease in the U.S), as well as unraveling diabetic/pre-diabetic tendencies. The diet starts with the biggest step: elimination of wheat. But a healthy diet cannot end there, else you and I could eat no wheat but fill our calories with soft drinks and jelly beans. So the next step is to limit carbohydrates if your goal is to lose more weight and correct metabolic distortions like high blood sugar and small LDL particles.

Eliminate:
All wheat-based products (all breads, all breakfast cereals, noodles, pasta, bagels, muffins, pancakes, waffles, donuts, pretzels, crackers), oat products (oatmeal, oat bran), cornstarch-based products (sauces or gravies thickened with cornstarch, prepared or processed foods containing cornstarch, cornmeal products like chips, tacos, tortillas), sugary soft drinks, candies

Enjoy unlimited:
Vegetables-except potatoes; fresh or frozen, never canned
Raw nuts and seeds-raw almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios, Brazil nuts, cashews; dry-roasted peanuts (not roasted in oil); pumpkin and sunflower seeds
Healthy oils (unheated)-olive, flaxseed, coconut, avocado, walnut
Meats-red meats, pork, fish, chicken, turkey, eggs. (Consider free-range, grass-fed and/or organic sources.)
Non-wheat grains-ground flaxseed, chia seeds
Teas, coffee, water, unsweetened almond milk, coconut milk or coconut water
Cheeses—real cultured cheeses only (not Velveeta or single-slice processed cheese)
Avocado or guacamole; hummus; unsweetened condiments, e.g., mayonnaise, mustard, oil-based salad dressings; ketchup without high-fructose corn syrup; pesto, tapenades; olives

Limited:
Fruit-No more than 2 servings a day (one serving is a level handful), preferably in this order (best first): berries of all varieties, citrus, apples, nectarines, peaches, melons. Minimize bananas, pineapples, mangoes, and grapes
Fruit juices-only real juices and in minimal quantities (no more than 2-4 oz)
Dairy products-No more than 1 serving per day of milk, cottage cheese or yogurt, unsweetened (Fat content does not matter.)
Legumes/beans; peas; sweet potatoes and yams; rice (white and brown); soy
Dark chocolates-70-85% cocoa or greater; no more than 40 grams (approximately 2 inches square) per day
Sugar-free foods-preferably stevia-containing, rather than aspartame

Never:
Fried foods
Fast foods
Hydrogenated “trans” fats
Cured meats-hot dogs, sausages, bacon, bologna, pepperoni
High-fructose corn syrup containing foods; honey; agave syrup; sucrose
Processed rice, rice flour or potato products-rice crackers, rice cereals, pretzels, white breads, breakfast cereals, potato chips
Fat-free or low-fat salad dressings
”Gluten-free” foods

Quick tips:
For healthy breakfast choices, consider ground flaxseed as a hot cereal (e.g., with soy milk, milk, or unsweetened almond milk; blueberries, strawberries, etc.). Also consider eggs; raw nuts; cheese; consider having “dinner for breakfast,” meaning transferring salads, cheese, chicken, and other “dinner” foods to breakfast.
Add 1 tsp or more of taste-compatible healthy oil to every meal. For example, mix in 1 tbsp flaxseed oil to ground flaxseed hot cereal. Or add 2 tbsp olive oil to eggs after scrambling. Adding oils will blunt appetite.
If you suspect you have a wheat “addiction,” use the first week to add healthy oils to every meal and reduce the amount of wheat by half. In the second week, aim for elimination of wheat while maintaining the oils.
Reach for raw nuts first as a convenient snack.

This entry was posted in The Diet: Quick and Dirty. Bookmark the permalink.

877 Responses to Wheat Belly: Quick and Dirty

1. Jamie says:

“If you’re drinking anything other than water, unsweetened teas, and unsweetened coffee, you have no business complaining about not being able to lose fat. And you shouldn’t be seeking anything more advanced.”

2. Jamie says:

I’ve followed different diets over the years. . .I went paleo, cut out wheat, then dairy, cut out meat, did a number of different things. My conclusions:

1. Cutting out protein leads to major loss of muscle mass. I like muscle so I have gone back to consuming protein. I would love to find good alternatives to lean animal protein, but at the moment these are hard to come by.

2. Dairy gives me asthma. No doctor will convince me any different. I’ve conducted my own dietary tests and as soon as I eat dairy I have all kinds of congestion and breathing problems that are only fixed with inhalers.

3. I think wheat causes me to gain some watery/belly fat. I normally have a six pack (I work out a lot) and I can immediately tell after a huge pasta feed that my belly is holding watery fat. I don’t understand it, but it is amazing and real. In this way, the book “Wheat Belly” is dead on. I don’t understand it, but other carbs are different from wheat. No carbs cause me to gain belly/watery fat like wheat and especially pasta!

4. I truly believe carbs are important. Wheat belly or not, people need carbs. I eat a LOT of oats and also white rice–always with protein to slow down digestion. Without carbs you will not poop well. I’ve been on the paleo and I had hardly any poop. You need more then veg/nuts/meat to poop well. In my case (I am very lean) I will lose weight like crazy and waste away without carbs. Learn how your body uses carbs and eat them accordingly. I think different people need varying amounts. Without carbs my muscles look flat and deflated and I lack the fullness and energy (and digestive bulk) that carbs give. Some people need less carbs because they have polluted their bodies so much and become so fat. My advice, and if you listen to nothing I say listen to this: avoid wheat, but don’t shun carbs entirely–especially if you are naturally lean. If weight loss is your goal you NEED a “carb strategy”, if you are already lean you will need LESS of a carb strategy.

5. Pure unsweetened, unflavoured whey powder (the “isolate variety” so it has eliminated dairy traces) is a miracle for leaning down. Mix it with oats and a frozen peeled banana, as well as some almond milk. Fantastic meal. I have this 1-3 times a day and I attribute much of my leanness to it.

6. There is no substitute for your own knowledge of your body gleaned by experimenting.

Good luck

• Jamie says:

Almost forgot:

7. Intermittent fasting is very important. I think ending food intake at 5-6pm and starting at 9am the next day 12-16 hours of a fast daily is very important for retaining insulin sensitivity and just general well being and giving your guts a break.

My 2 cents. i hope Davis allows this on his blog.

• Cindy G says:

I like your advice. My daughter and I are just beginning to drop the wheat, and would welcome more advice on what you eat for lunch and dinner. Are you making any of the recipes in the cookbook? Do you eat any fruit or yogurt? Salad makes me feel bloated. I love salad, but feel bad the rest of the day. What’s your sample weekly menu?

3. Greg says:

Can someone help me to better understand the entry under: Enjoy Unlimited – Vegetables except potatoes..

I get the vegetables part. However, I am 3/4 of the way through the book and don’t recall much mention of potatoes. I also don’t see potatoes mentioned further on in the quick and dirty list. Does this mean to avoid potatoes completely? If yes, what is the reasoning there? Overall health, weight gain, or immune system / inflammation / pain? If no, is the recommendation to eat limited amounts of potatoes?

Thanks in advance from a convinced newbie for your guidance!

Potatoes are high glycemic.

The general rule for all foods is 15 grams net carbs (total carbs minus fiber carbs) per meal or 6-hour period. Run the numbers on spuds.

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Greg,

Potatoes are nearly all starch and highly glycemic, not a good choice when your carb limit is 15 per six hour period. This is why the other starchy foods aren’t recommended either or to be eaten in 1.4 cup quantities.

• Dave says:

I have no medical training. My answer to your question will be very non technical. Potatoes and table sugar have about the same effect of blood sugar levels. Consequently, the book recommends 1/2 cup portions or eliminating potatoes completely.

4. Susan says:

No bacon at all??

5. I’ve searched for a thread to ask this question but cannot find one…..could you please address the acid/alkaline hypothesis? We’re bombarded with buying alkaline water, eating alkaline foods etc to change the pH of our ‘bodies’ or blood” but it doesn’t make sense to me……how in the world do we change the pH of our blood? Wheat Belly has obviously taken me dow paths I’ve never been before……but I would like an answer to this

6. Debbie says:

I have been following wheat belly for a week and eating lots of cheese,I know it says unlimited but how much is too much?

The issue here is not fat nor calories, Debbie, but some of the potential for adverse effects of the proteins in dairy.

The whey, for instance, in about 20% of people will turn off capacity for weight loss. Just be aware of this potential as you eliminate grains.

• Debbie says:

Thank you so much for the reply… Just want to say even after just a week I feel fantastic – have heaps of energy and a renewed spring in my step :-)

7. Jo says:

I have been on this new way of eating from reading the book and making many meals from the Cookbook, for about 3/5 wks., no changes in belly or in lbs on the scale,. I can’t say I feel completely different either. I wll say my stomach still is full and puffy like it always is. I am drinking coffee, 1/2 to full cup per day, reg flavored but I do drink alot of water, and some water w/lemon. Following all the recipes to a tee. Eating more fresh veggies and fruit then ever before. Sweet potato’s- good or not in moderation? I but Kerrygold butter (grass fed cows), and some palm coconut sugar on it. Cheeses: I did purchase raw organic sharp cheddar, (amazing) but trying to figure out how to buy more affordable healthy cheeses espec. if they contain wood pulp as Im hearing? Confused.?!?!
    Are there any tortilla chips out there that are recommended, not necessarily brands b/c of locations will be different, but ingredients. I am not eating any of the GF commercial food either. I love my crunchy foods, (salty)
    What could I be doing wrong? Any other suggestions?

• Aleena says:

I think the coconut sugar and fruit may be a problem. It seems to me that fruit should be a treat from now on and that coconut sugar has nearly the same effects as table sugar. Also, despite the ‘Wheat Free’ claims, all grains are kicked out of this diet. And corn is considered a grain. Let me tell you, I am going to miss tortilla chips too! Organic tortilla chips were my last favorite crunchy snack. I guess I’m going to have to get into crunching on nuts and fresh veggies. :(

> Are there any tortilla chips out there that are recommended, …

You can find baked non-GMO corn chips, but they are still sky-high glycemic. Typically 6 chips is your entire meal’s carb allowance (15 grams net).

8. Ingrid says:

I eat eggs with onions and steamed broccoli with cauliflower for breakfast
    On workout days only, I will also have about 45 minutes before, 1/3 cup of old fashioned oatmeal with unsweetened almond milk, cinnamon, stevia, chia seeds, and half of a banana sliced in it OR I will have half of a plain sweet potato.
    I have an apple with natural peanut butter for a morning snack, but only if I feel hungry before lunch, which is almost never
    I have baked or grilled chicken breast (4 to 6 oz) with a salad (spring mix, spinach, cucumbers, and tomatoes) or with steamed green veggies
    I have 10-12 almonds for a snack in the afternoon
    I have steak, chicken or fish with steamed veggies for dinner
    I will have an apple with peanut butter at night for a snack, if I feel like I need it
    I drink is water all the time.
    I am lactose intolerant and do not drink milk, but I have a sprinkle 2% cheddar on my eggs or a sprinkle of grated parmesan on my steamed veggies.
    I stay away from yogurt and juices because they have tons of sugar, as do many fruits.
    I eat brown rice once a week at the most, but no other grains.
    My once a week cheat meal is chicken enchilada with a corn tortilla and a root beer from Tijuana Flats.
    I have hypothyroid and I want to know what I can do to speed up my metabolism with food or supplements.

> … oatmeal … banana … sweet potato … apple … peanut butter … brown rice … corn tortilla … root beer …

Work out what the net carbs is for those. You are a on what appears to be a full time moderately high glycemic diet. And I’m not seeing any fats, and not much protein.

> I have hypothyroid and I want to know what I can do to speed up my metabolism …

What’s the actual problem?
      And what are you taking for the thyroid?
      If you want to be in a fat burning metabolism, what you are eating is preventing that.

• Ingrid says:

I am going to make some adjustments to my diet based on your comments. I am trying to lose about 15 to 20 pounds, but I have to see a doctor who is willing to run more tests (Free T3 and Free T4) in addition to the TSH test, because while my TSH is in the normal range, I think that my body is not coverting T4 to T3 with synthroid alone.

9. Memy says:

I’ve spent the last two years as a vegetarian. Vegetarians are all skinny eco-conscious people, right? Not me. Over the past two years of eating lots of different grains, starting every day with oatmeal, eating only whole wheat bread and countless receipts for beans and rice, I’ve GAINED 60 lbs. Did I mention, I calorie count (1500-1700 per day) and exercise 3-5 times per week, 45 minutes per session. Yeah, 60 lbs. I’m now obese!
    I was blaming it all on menopause; Mother Natures proof that she hates chicks. I’ve just read Wheat Belly and now I’m really beginning to question the connections. Sis has MS, Mum had Lupus, RH and diabetes. Dad had Diabetes, cousin has colitis. Is it possible that my mum’s issues could have been alleviated with a change in diet? It’s my understanding that MS, RH and Lupus are all genetically linked. I feel like I’m a time bomb waiting my turn to self destruct so I’m leaving no stone unturned in my efforts to avoid these diseases. Has there been any research done on a link between Lupus and gluten?
    I talked to my hubby about eliminating wheat from our home to see if this will help. Happily, he’s really supportive. (He considered the word vegan synonymous with divorce).
    My question is, how many months should I be looking at eliminating wheat before I determine whether or not this is working for my body? How long does it take for ones body to rid itself completely of gluten?

• Alice C. says:

Everyone is different so I do not think that there is an answer for your first question. For a food item to pass through the body, it takes about four days. However, the damage by that food would linger depends on how healthy or unhealthy you are. To heal MS, please watch the Ted Talk Video by Dr Terry Wahls. She put her MS into remission by eating a Paleo Diet (grain, legume, dairy and sugar free). To protect oneself from autoimmunity, one needs to have a healthy gut to avoid systematic chronic inflammation which trigger the autoimmune genes. If you are grain, legume, dairy and sugar free, you will have a healthy gut and decrease your chance of getting autoimmunity. For people already have autoimmune disease, a Paleo diet plus autoimmune protocol helps (night shades, eggs and yeast free).

It’s not a matter of ridding your body of gluten, Memy. It’s a matter of allowing all abnormal processes initiated by gliadin, glutenins, wheat germ agglutinin, alpha amylase inhibitors, thioreductases, amylopectins, and other components of wheat, some of which are inflammatory, some autoimmune, some mind effects, changes in bowel flora, etc.

In other words, this is NOT about gluten nor gluten intolerance. It is about the poisoning we have suffered at the hands of modern wheat.

• Grammie Vi says:

Please – Dr. Davis – update on brown rice. Small portion still ok or not?
        Wild rice – yes/no? Soy?? – what form ? (flour, soy cream cheese) and how much?
        Have the first cookbook – enjoying it; the new 30min. book – VERY inspiring!
        Made the coconut pie crust; filled with key lime filling from your first book. Used coconut milk (canned variety) and soy cream cheese. It is SO yummy – BUT I am fearful that the soy cream cheese may not be ok!!???

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Grammie,

A small, condiment sized portion of rice is probably still OK to eat occasionally, but not the soy cheese unless it is fermented and non-GMO. Ditto for wild rice. The glycemic value of rice is high enough that it is metabolized like a sugar and this can cause your liver to change from burning fat for energy back to burning sugar for energy.

10. maria says:

Can anyone give advice on coconut milk (unsweetened) as I cant tolerate much dairy. I’m assuming I’d have to cut out coconut yogurt as I haven’t found an unsweetened variety.

11. Jc says:

If you say we can have dinner for breakfast, does that mean its ok to have breakfast for dinner? – thank you

Any meal, or component thereof, that meets WB guidelines, is fine any time.

I sometimes have cheesecake for breakfast, and donuts for dinner.

12. Stringbender says:

Ok, I must have had it wrong. Just got started for the New Year. So, it’s NOT Gluten Free, It’s WHEAT FREE. So my understanding is I CAN NOT have any from the list below:

Chips, NO Potato, NO Corn, NO Gluten Free or otherwise
    Potatoes cooked any way
    Sodas, Diet or otherwise (Even Coke Zero)
    Fried Sausage, Bacon, Hamburger Steak

By eliminating Wheat on the very 1st day I noticed I did not have ANY Acid Re-flux after suffering with this for the previous 3 nights. It has now been an additional 3 nights and NO ACID RE-FLUX. Maybe it’s a coincidence, I don’t know but I’m going to continue to note this and report back here. I had delicious meals the past 3 nights but it appears they were not in keeping with the diet

Hamburger Steak (Fried)
    Baked Potato (Butter & Sour Cream)
    Steamed Broccoli
    Sauteed Mushrooms & Onions

Last night was
    4, 5 in diameter corn tortilla with
    Re-fried Beans
    Cheese
    Salsa
    Lettuce/Tomato
    Sour Cream
    Wine

Thought I was doing good but turns out I really blew it. Still no Acid Re-flux though. I’ll keep coming back and trying to learn.

• HungryinTN says:

Hi Stringbender! You’ve made a great choice to pursue this lifestyle and you’re on your way. A lot of us find that taking the lifestyle in a sort of step-by-step fashion helps to ease the transition. When I started in June, I simply eliminated gluten-bearing grains from my diet. Then I slowly adjusted my carb count down and eliminated more foods, including corn, sugar, rice, etc. The first results I saw were elimination of acid reflux and a dramatic reduction in joint pain. No I’ve lost almost forty pounds and three dress sizes and I feel ten years younger. My whole family is getting on the band-wagon in their own ways. I advised my father to go ahead and use gluten-free substitutes for the first two weeks (but not so long that he becomes dependent on them – just long enough to make the transition), and then start working on reducing his carb count and eliminating sugar. Once you break the addiction cycle of the gluten, which happens for different people at different rates, I think, the rest of the process becomes MUCH easier. For someone like my father, whose addiction is so deeply entrenched in his lifestyle, the transition can be very difficult, with strong withdrawal symptoms and some unpleasant, but temporary, detox side-effects than can be discouraging if you try to do too much at once. Applaud yourself for the start you’ve made and keep at it. Most importantly, do not give in to any gluten cravings you might experience. Trying to follow the wheat-free lifestyle 80% is far more difficult than committing to 100%.

> So, it’s NOT Gluten Free, It’s WHEAT FREE.

These are usually, but not always, the same.

> So my understanding is I CAN NOT have any from the list below:
      > Chips, NO Potato, NO Corn, NO Gluten Free or otherwise

It’s largely about the net carbs, and all of those products are high. Target is 50 grams net carb (total carb less fiber carb) per day; 15 grams per meal or 6-hour period.

Corn has other problems. See:
      “Corn (aka Maize, and including Teosinte)”

> Potatoes cooked any way

Hi gly.

> Sodas, Diet or otherwise (Even Coke Zero)

Any kind of pop has only one safe ingredient, the water, which is much cheaper in containers without fancy graphics. You need to avoid the sugar. You need to investigate what alternative sweeteners are used in your market. You don’t need the caffeine (drink coffee or tea for that). You don’t want the acid load of the carbonation.

> Fried Sausage, Bacon, Hamburger Steak

Usually not a problem, depending on what’s in it besides meat.

> Re-fried Beans

Check the net carbs.

> Cheese, Salsa, Lettuce/Tomato, Sour Cream, Wine

Usually OK. Watch store-bought salsa for sugars and adverse oils. Avoid sweet wines, and generally keep alcohol consumption at or below the equivalent of a standard bottle a week, and not all at once :).

> Thought I was doing good …

Sounds like you don’t have the book. If you don’t have a copy, I’d start with the new 30 minute cookbook.

13. honeybelle says:

I started no wheat food plan on 1/6/14, I’ve had a terrible headache (which I attribute to withdrawal). the cravings are gone however and headaches are easing up a bit. Has anyone else had these pounding headaches and how long did they last? Any suggestions? thanks

14. Carey Manuel says:

I am gaining weight since I started the Wheat Belly Diet six days ago. If a food is on the unlimited list, one should be able to eat unlimited amounts. It appears all the raw almonds and pecans are not unlimited for me. So in the area of weight loss (which is my main reason for trying the diet – hunger has been an ever present issue for me), I have to count calories after all. Either calories count or they do not. Which one is it? I am not hypothyroid nor do I have a cortisol problem. I exercise intensely 6 days a week and am still gaining weights due to all the nuts I am eating. Nuts should not be on the unlimited list!

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

The idea is to count the carbohydrates you consume. Recommendation is 15 carbs per meal per 6 hour period and 50 carbs total per day. Nuts have carbs. 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts contains about 4 carbs. A full cup of them is 16 carbs or your entire meal’s worth of carbohydrates.

Many recipes call for nut flours to be used and the carbs should be counted for this as well as the veggies and fruits you might eat. Perhaps re-reading Wheat Belly will help you to understand this basic concept.

15. Louise VILLENEUVE says:

Years ago I had done the Atkins diet and had lost about 30 lbs in three months, however my body ached when someone would touch my arms etc. why would that have been? Lack of something I figured, but what?

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

There are endless “could be’s”. Most probably you didn’t drink enough water and needed more magnesium or even your toxin level was backing up because of impaired intestines/digestion or bacteria overgrowth . Dr. Davis recommends additional nutritional supplements as well. Check on the left hand side of this blog for that topic or even read the book for a better understanding.

16. Phyllis Krupp says:

How could hummus be an unlimited choice but beans are limited? Isn’t hummus made from chickpeas?

> How could hummus be an unlimited choice but beans are limited?

The apparent assumption is that the hummus is being consumed in condiment quantities, and not as a main dish.

• Phyllis Krupp says:

But a condiment quantity would not be.considered unlimited. If I sat down and ate an entire cup of hummus that I made from scratch, would that be considered okay? If not, it’s not unlimited. I am feeling a bit frustrated because I have been following the program and gaining weight. (No, im not eating cups of hummus..I havent even had any because Im afraid to eat beans.) The foods that MAY be the culprits are the healthy oils, avocados, nuts, and cheeses. If I have to cut those foods out, this way of eating will be unbearable for me! I am eating tons of vegetables (I always do), and lots of protein…very little fruit and dairy (except cheese). I am also exercising. What am I doing wrong?

• Barbara in New Jersey says:

Why don’t you spend a few minutes to count the carbs per food item and the portion size of that item? The basic rule is 15 carbs per six hour period, 50 carbs per day. One cup of macadamia nuts has enough carbs for an entire meal.

Perhaps you are taking a medication that is hindering weight loss. Perhaps you aren’t drinking enough water. Perhaps you have alcohol ic drinks which keeps your liver busy processing the alcohol by burning sugar rather than switching to burning fats. This alone can last for weeks per drink until your liver can start to burn the fat. Sometimes there are underlying health conditions like thyroid problems or a fatty liver which must be addressed.

If you can’t understand the rationale behind small amounts of hummus being permitted, whether made from scratch or store bought, then perhaps you should re-read Wheat Belly for a more detailed description of the basic premises of counting carbohydrates and limiting starches.

> But a condiment quantity would not be.considered unlimited.

Yep. This issue has been raised before, and I’ve already told you more than I know about it :). It all comes down to net carbs, if not actual measured blood sugar response.

> … I have been following the program and gaining weight.
          See:

> The foods that MAY be the culprits are the healthy oils,
          > avocados, nuts, and cheeses.

No, they aren’t, with the possible exception of the cheese. On a low-carb diet, it’s almost impossible to gain weight by consuming excess fat. You’d have to eat far more than you feel like. As you can see in the linked “Didn’t Lose” article, dropping dairy for a while can be a useful precautionary measure.

• Neicee says:

Boundless, you are right about the dairy. Just returned from almost two months out of state. While there I got into the habit of whipping cream in my coffee. Instead of eating breakfast the cream prolonged my eating habits until 12:00 or 1PM for lunch. Gained 5 lbs. and since I didn’t change eating habits, the cream has got to be the culprit. Yummy, but have backed off.
            Oh, didn’t have my coconut oil for cooking breakfast and used butter instead. Butter’s yummy too! ;)

17. Phyllis Krupp says:

Thank you so much for the feedback. I didn’t mean to post that twice. Sorry. I definitely do not drink enough water so I will make that adjustment. I also do consume a couple of cocktails on the weekends but it’s usually non-wheat based vodka mixed with soda water. I’m not sure how to calculate net carbs for a food iftem that has no package. I will look for an app on my phone.

18. Sue says:

I have ulcerative-colitis and want to increase my intestinal flora. I thought butter-milk and yogurt was really good and used to have lots of it. How much is ok if I’m trying to balance the flora without having to take too many probiotics in form of pills?

Buttermilk and yogurt are generally insufficient, Sue: too few bacteria, too much sugar.

With ulcerative colitis, you want the assurance of a high-potency probiotic over at least months, if not years, along with prebiotic fibers, such as small quantities of legumes, lentils, chickpeas, inulin, and some RAW sweet potato and green unripe bananas.