Interview on Gluten-free School

Jennifer Fugo of the Gluten-free School recorded this interview with me that she will air on Tuesday, October 11th at 7pm ET \ 6pm CT \ 5pm MT \ 4pm PT.

Sign-up on the site will be required to access. The program can also be accessed after the initial airing.

Jennifer is helping lead the charge on educating people about the problems with most gluten-free foods as currently conceived by food manufacturers. Eat WHEAT-free/Gluten-free . . . but not gluten-free foods!

This entry was posted in Interviews. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Interview on Gluten-free School

1. I’m finding this site fascinating. I’ve been practicing ‘grain reduced’ lifestyle (92lbs weight loss total now) and have been looking for something substantial regarding children’s nutrition and the inclusion of grains. I’ve searched the site, but don’t seem to find much. It’s easy for me, as a willing adult to chose not to eat sugar and grains and I see very direct physical/mental health benefits in this. I’m struggling with including ‘healthy whole grains’ in my children’s diets and looking for recipes/thoughts directed to this demographic. It seems like people are either gun shy in addressing the implications this foods possibly have on our children’s health or running off anecdotes that don’t exactly prove correlation equals causation. I look forward to anyone wanting to discuss this further, or links to point me towards. Are any of the studies you have looked at Dr. Davis geared towards children? I particularly found the debunking of the gluten free interesting. I was shocked a few years ago when we trialed GF on my emotional, eczema prone ‘gifted’ child and discovered it was just switching from a wheat based diet to a rice based one.

Hi, Cece–

Wheat is as destructive in kids as it is in adults, perhaps more so. Just risk for type 1 diabetes is sufficient to be concerned about wheat exposure in kids.

However, I am no expert in kids. I can tell you with confidence, nonetheless, that no human needs wheat to be healthy and well-nourished. Wheat has been a part of the human diet for a relatively brief span of time; modern, genetically-altered wheat has been a part of the human diet for less than 40 years. The only reason why there is “guilt” or regret over this process is because 1) it’s tasty, 2) the modern stuff is addictive due to its altered gliadin, and 3) the government has funded an incredible campaign to consume more of it.

2. Pattye says:

This is just my opinion, as I am not a professional or an expert, except in one area – that of turning my body into a carb addicted fat factory and I know with no reservation that it started in my young years when I was unable to choose for myself. My parents were (and still are) horribly carb addicted and that is the way that I lived until 2 years ago when I started to question for myself the wisdom and safety of eating that way. I have never been a person to follow rules but unfortunately my poor body had 55 years of carb addiction well in place. As we now know from many nutrition experts, there is not one nutrient in grains that you cannot get in spades from other food sources, ones which you should be eating on a regular basis, like beef, vegetables and a few fruits. There is just absolutely no reason for humans to eat grains. There in lies the “Big Lie”

So, in the end, my opinion is start them out early eating a healthy way and when they are older and can choose for themselves it will already be a good habit. I have a friend who is a celiac who just had her first baby and she and her husband (a non-celiac as far as he knows) have decided to raise they child from day one on a gluten/grain free diet, since celiac development is inheritable.

Excellent, Pattye.

I’d like to see more young parents go the way your friend and her husband are: No wheat from birth.

If more people did this, I believe that the incidence of type 1 diabetes alone would drop sharply.

3. I totally agree that it is best to start out with a healthy diet, it’s just difficult to actually decide *what* healthy is, particularly for children.

• Linda says:

CeCe – I am not saying Paleo is the way to go for your kids, you have to make up your mind – but take a look at Everyday Paleo (Everydaypaleo.com) and the accompanying cookbook. Sarah talks about feeding her children, etc. – three of them ranging from pre-school to teen. That site might give you some other things to consider – since gluten free is also part of that whole process. Enter kids in the search area top right and you will come to her blog entries if you haven’t already seen them. Good luck.

• Roz says:

I’ll chime in with another paleo- with-kids website: http://paleoparents.com who have a cookbook coming out soon called Eat Like a Dinosaur.

4. Thanks so much for the web links- we are off the grid and in the bush so I’m restricted in my web surfing time- just visiting the internet right now.

5. I would like to know if it’s okay to go wheat-free when I do not have my gallbladder? Please reply as soon as you can because my husband and I have started this diet as of Sunday, August 5th. Thank you.

Cheryl

There should be virtually no difference, Cheryl, except that, if you are like most other people, you will be far healthier!

An occasional person without a gallbladder will need to ease into the increased fat intake, i.e., increase fat intake gradually if the liberal fat causes cramping, gas, or loose stools.