You asked for more recipes . . .

Judging from the outpouring of requests for more recipes that are 1) wheat-free, and 2) low-carbohydrate, I see that I need to provide more help in locating resources.

The Wheat Belly book contains 34 pages of recipes to get you started. This Wheat Belly Blog will also be a resource as I post, recipe by recipe, in the coming months and years, as well as the recipes I will send out for anyone who signs up for them (to the left; I haven’t started yet).

In the meantime, here are some great sources for recipes consistent with this approach–no mention of wheat flour, breadcrumbs, “vital gluten” (yeah, that’s what some people call this poison), or breading in sight!

Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking in a Gluten-Free Kitchen
Julie and Charles Mayfield

This brand-new book (available September 12, 2011) brings a Southern spin to dishes consistent with both the Wheat Belly approach, as well as a “Paleo” diet. Your unavoidable first impression of the book comes from the beautiful photographs that accompany every recipe–every other page is a perfect display of the recipe. Among the recipes I found especially creative and useful included:

Paleo spiced nuts (page 62)
Barbecue sauce with some kick (page 96)
Paleo grits (page 198)
Coconut flour tortillas (page 110)
Brussels sprouts slaw (page 166). (I love their commentary on this recipe: “As a child, and on into adulthood, I thought Brussels sprouts were vile food items that were only served soggy and overcooked with that nasty sulfuric smell. And then, a miracle happened: one Thanksgiving, my friend Peter made a Brussels sprouts dish that was simple divine and turned me into an instant fan.”

Everyday Paleo: Embracing Natural Diet and Lifestyle
Sarah Fragoso

The cover of the book tells it all: recipes for Moms.

Author Sarah Fragoso provides recipes (each also accompanied by a beautiful photo) that are family-friendly, relatively simple and quick to prepare, yet wheat-free, limited in carbohydrate content, and “Paleo.”

Among my favorites:

Bean-less chili (page 156)
Dixie’s fresh salsa (page 170)
Breakfast Paleo pizza (page 186. Yes: pizza for breakfast with a crust made of eggs!)
Spicy speedy stuffed peppers (page 72)

There is also a 30-day menu plan complete with shopping list. I believe this is about as user- and mother-friendly as it gets!

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to You asked for more recipes . . .

1. Jenny says:

I’m so glad I discovered your book, Dr. Davis! I was very ill, overweight, nauseous, tired, suffering from nearly constant diarrhea and vomiting up whole meals occasionally. I kept thinking I must have some sort of stomach bug or virus that I just couldn’t shake.

Now, on a wheat free diet, I’ve lost weight, I have no more diarrhea, no more vomiting, and I can sleep peacefully.

I put my husband on the diet and he noted that he used to be hungry every two hours before he went wheat free and now he can skip whole meals and not even notice (his weight and blood pressure are down too).

Thank you!!!

2. Robin says:

I have an idea for the mom of the 12 year old who will only eat a sandwich for lunch:
    If you make the wrap recipe in a square microwave safe dish, you can actually cut it in half and use it as sandwich bread with any filling she’ll eat & she can say it’s whole wheat bread without crust. I made a sandwich this way for my husband who is a very traditional eater and he just thought it was a thin specialty bread and thought it was very good.

For myself, I’m not overweight and eat very little junk food with only rare cravings, but have studiously had whole wheat cereal mixed with wheat & oat bran for breakfast every day thinking I was eating healthfully, except my stomach made loud exclamations afterward with lots of uncomfortable gurgling and rumbling! I’ve also often felt bloated and gassy after eating so am going to try to eat wheat free for a month to see if that helps. I’m now on day three (probably should have waited til AFTER the holidays to start, though!) and though I don’t feel like I’m experiencing withdrawal exactly, I have experienced heartburn and other relatively minor digestive differences, which I assume will subside in a few days.

My biggest concern is eating wheat free when traveling. I have a few conferences coming up and I’ve always been unhappy with the vast quantities of sticky buns, pasta and doughy sandwiches on offer for meals. Since I’m traveling from Canada, I can’t bring food across the border. So how does one deal with this?

Thanks for a very interesting book!

Hi, Robin–

Several modest efforts can keep you safely wheat-free: Choose restaurants wisely, avoid fast food and ones catering to kids and standard American tastes (hamburgers, etc.). You might have to pack a baggie of raw nuts and seeds to tide you over, in case you are someplace, such as a conference, where there are no healthy choices.

Also, recall that going wheat-free is accompanied by a marked downturn in appetite for most people. You can therefore tolerate periods of not eating much more easily.

• Deb says:

Where can I find the “wrap recipe” that you mentioned Robin?

3. Joseph says:

I was way over weight ~260 lbs used to be an athlete and didn’t know what was wrong with me. I was getting heart palpitations. I got checked out, doctor said to lose weight, except I didn’t know what to do. My health was declining.

I bought your book and it has helped me tremendously, I recommend it to everyone especially my mother (she is overweight), but I don’t know if she is able to give up bread/pasta/wheat, its a shame, I know she is addicted and believes all the hype about whole wheat etc.

I feel better, I’ve lost weight, no more heart palpitations… I feel like my body is getting the nutrition is was looking for. After reading your book, I learned about the Paleo diet recipies. I like it too, but I don’t think I need to cut out dairy or oatmeal. Other than that I cut out all grains, beans and high glycemic foods like russet potatoes.

Your book has truly changed me.

Thank you.

4. L J says:

hello new to wheat belly . yes i read your book (big accomplishment for me ) don”t like to read. been on wheat free for 2 weeks now the first week i lost 3 pounds in 4 days. I found recipes for gluten free bread, pancakes, pizza ect… big mistake… felt awful the last 2 days . put weight back on and ooh stomach ache this morning. i guess no more of the gluten free brown rice flour etc… definetly going on no carbs as well. thanks for you book allready have 2 friends reading it as well.

5. jamie says:

after hearing your youtube talk on wheat I understand why wheat is a no-no but why kamut or spelt?

6. Jennifer says:

What can I substitute for all the starchs found in GF recipes? Thank you for your time.

7. Leah Jones says:

Dear Dr Davis,
    After a trip to ER for faux heart attack symptoms, prognosis from cardiologist was GERD. My Dr talked to me about diet for at least a half our, and told me to read this book, saying “you don’t need a prescription, read this book” ow a month later, and testing for PH, I am now out of acidosis range PH at 6.0 and no more panic hungry, no more stomach issues and no need for antacids. I feel 1000% better! I have energy, I eat when I want, not because I have to every 2 hours as in the past. I sleep better. My normal body temperature is comfortable/ warm, I always had a tendency to feel cold. Kicking coffee was tough, but after that, the whole change made perfect sense. I thought I understood good nutrition as I have always taken an interest in it. I “get” it. I even feel calmer overall, as in a light runners high. I am forever changed, thank you for your science, your work and your humor. Great timing for me.
    sincerely
    Leah Jones

Wow, Leah! And advice from an ER, no less!

It’s great to know that this message is being heard in mainstream healthcare. Because that’s where it could have the greatest and most immediate impact.

8. Wendy Portman says:

Dear Dr. Davis,
    I am a 52 year old woman who has studied nutrition and healthy eating for many years now. I always try to eat plenty of vegetables, fresh fruit, lean protiens and whole grains….thats what we are told, right? Diabetes is prevalent in my family, my parents both had the disease and my Mother had every compication of it….Retinal bleeding, heart disease, circulatory problems….then kidney failure, stroke and amputation of her right leg, just below the knee, causing her to slowly die 4 days later from heart failure. Not many people see just how terrible this disease is or how many serious medical problems arrise due to diabetes. Belive me, it is a lot more than just high bood sugar, treated by a smple pill or insulin injections. It is a disease growing in huge proportion and I am sure everyone knows someone affected by it but has NO IDEA just how terrible it really is.
    I had reduced the gluten in my diet several years ago and I also knew about Celiacs disease. I know as I work in the health food section of a grocery store and meet many, many NEW sufferers. I did not however realize that I was one of them! I also am an avid gardener and understand genetic modification of plants. A Canadian scientist, David Susuki, has protested genetic modification for many years. I remember when GMO began to help feed the world by producing Hardy plants to grow under many conditions, thus producing more food to feed all. Dr. Susuki did indeed disagree, especially as there was little to no knowledge as to the results of messing with nature. I remember thinking that he was right, then time passed and GMO fell to the wayside.
    I read your book and all these things came flooding back.
    I have often had indigestion, bouts of diareah, gas, bloating and an expanding waistline….despite my knowledge of healthy eating and nutrition. I decided to follow the suggestion to eliminate WHEAT and see how I would feel. As I said, I eat very healthy, so the only real change I made was to cut ALL wheat and wheat containing products from my diet. Two days in and I felt less bloated, calm, and clear headed. After one week, I began to drop weight, YES, from my mid-section! I was so happy, and astounded by how much better I felt. I continued the diet and am now 20 lbs. lighter, DO NOT have a muffin top any longer and feel calm and do not crave food and sugar any longer. I began the dietary change in mid-January. I had no idea that I had such issues with wheat and grains but now that I do, I don’t miss them at all.
    I also suffered from arthritis, so I thought. It was getting worse every year, no matter what I tried changing. I am very pleased to report that I am almost always pain free these day, with the exception of very rainy days but even those are greatly improved. I cannot believe it, I’m thrilled.
    Thank you Dr. Davis….your book has greatly improved my life! I tell everyone and hope that your book will help them too. I also must tell you that the recipes are great and I hope to see more. Good health is the most precious thing we can attain, it makes life wonderful.

Thanks again,
    Wendy

Thank you, Wendy!

Yes: This issue has been hinted at, suspected, talked about in one form or another for a number of years. Only recently have we gathered sufficient data to truly understand what these people have been doing and the astounding implications for health in the broad population.

This will be debated for the next 20-30 years. Let them debate. In the meantime, you and I who embrace these ideas will enjoy remarkable turnarounds in health and relief from our “muffin tops”!

9. Diane says:

Dear Dr. Davis,

About 5 months ago I was diagnosed by a blood test with celiac disease after an earlier blood test indicated B12 deficiency and iron deficiency. At first, I was dismayed at the thought that I’d never be able to eat at a restaurant. The internet and a dietitian set me straight on that score.

I just got your book after finding it online as a recommendation for me. I haven’t read that much but have already sent the information to a friend who told me she is having liver problems, is diabetic and overweight. Today, she called and said, “That’s it we are taking wheat out of the diet.”

In my case, after 5 months of following the diet carefully, I have lost over 16 lbs. and feel better than I have in years. I have COPD and bronchietisis and have had respiratory problems since early childhood. In the past two years, I have become a frequent flier at the local hospital. Usually, I am there every 6-8 weeks. It is April and my last hospital stay was in January. The phlegm is now clear and although my breathing isn’t great, it is much better. I actually can sing now in church sometimes. The things I am reading in your book parallel my experience. I had just told my doctor that I really often could not eat lunch and if I did I really wasn’t interested in dinner. I gave the book title to the doctor’s wife. We shall see…

Thanks for being another touchstone on the way to better health.
    Diane

That’s great, Diane!

Now, make your health the best it’s ever been, now that you are no longer consuming what amounts to a poison for your body.

10. Kara says:

Hi Dr. Davis,

I just finished your book today. Fortunately I’ve been gluten free (Dx: Celiacs disease) for about a year. However, I have noticed a few of the symptoms remain so I’m going to give your “wheat belly” diet a try! I’ve still been eating a lot of starchy foods and your book made a lot of sense.

Previous symptoms were unexplained rashes, acne, “wheat belly” (even at a normal or underweight weight), kidney issues (gross idiopathic hematuria & proteinuria), fatigue, brain fog (“ADHD”- official dx), inability to sweat (& other “gland” problems), dry skin, fatty stools, and respiratory issues. They’ve all since cleared up with the gluten free diet.

I was also on Adderall for ADHD- Inattentive. That, however, has all cleared up and I am no longer taking a stimulant medication. I feel SO much better! No more “brain fog”.

I’m so happy to figure this out at only 20 years old, and to be able to take my life back!

I’m a veterinary student, and I hope to incorporate this information into animal’s lives as well!

Kara

Excellent, Kara!

I suspect animals are as susceptible to these effects as us primates. Is it any wonder that an epidemic of obese pets is following closely on the heels of the human obesity epidemic? No coincidence!

11. susan ban says:

I have skimmed through Dr. Esselstyn (sp?)’s book and am looking through Dr Davis book now.
    I am confused as to what is the right thing?
    My husband and I want to lose weight, lose the inflammation, control cholesterol and pre-diabetic scare.
    Dr. E’s book recommends beans, whole wheat, vegetables and hardly any oil or nuts.
    Dr D’s book adds cheese, meat, oil—–no beans either? I love beans and tofu….

12. Claudia says:

This is a recipe I adapted from the Robin Hood Home Baking cookbook – I substituted the flour with almond meal and the wheat germ with flax meal, and made a few other changes and think I have finally tweaked it to a pretty yummy cookie, which I now eat for breakfast on occassion.
    OATS ‘N’ SEEDS COOKIES
    1 c butter
    3/4 c splenda
    1/2 c coconut milk beverage (drinking milk, not from a can)
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    1 1/2 c almond meal/flour
    1/2 flax meal
    1 1/2 baking soda
    3/4 t salt
    1 tsp xantham (or guar) gum (optional)
    1/2 c large flake oats
    1/2 c quinoa flakes
    1/3 c raisins
    1 c chopped walnuts
    3/4 c sunflower seeds
    1/4 c flaxseeds
    1/4 sesame seeds
    Cream butter with splenda until fluffy, add one egg at a time, beating after each addition, add vanilla and beat.
    Combine almond meal, flax meal, baking soda, salt and xantham gun – mix well with wisk. Add to butter mixture, beating until blended.
    Combine oats, quinoa, walnuts, sunflower seeds, flaxseeds, sesame seeds and raisins – mix well with wisk. Add to butter/almond mixture, beating on low speed until blended.
    Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Do not worry about spacing far apart as cookies will not spread like regular cookies do. Press down with back of fork to flatten.
    Bake for 17 min in a 375 degree oven in the middle rack. Leave to cool on cookie sheet for 5 min – move to cooling rack.
    Enjoy!
    I’m not sure if this recipe will be Dr. Davis approved – I assume he won’t like the xantham gum, and may wish to reduce the oats/quinoa flakes a bit further than I have already, but I really enjoy the taste/texture of these cookied as they are.
    Dr. D, let me know what you think.

13. James Grant says:

I’ve not taken wheat for some months. I have become quite constipated, I believe as a result. Can you comment helpfully, please.

Probably a failure to 1) hydrate, or 2) obtain sufficient veggies, nuts, and seeds, or 3) failure of your bowel flora to convert to a healthier profile.

Number 3 can be remedied by taking a high-potency probiotic, e.g, 50 billion CFUs per day, for several weeks to repopulate your intestinal tract with healthy bacteria.

14. James Grant says:

As I said I have been wheat-free for a while, but only bought the book recently. i am very interested in the recipes in the back. problem is I have a household member who is badly affected by dairy (and you use a lot of cheese) and by tomatoes. this reduces considerably the recipes i can use. do you, I wonder, do recipes for specialised diets?
    Finally, Amazon in the UK seem to have run out of your recipes book. Do you know this?

Hi, James–

Eliminating dairy is tough. I know because my wife is incredibly dairy intolerant. Thankfully, coconut is a great substitute for dairy products in most recipes, e.g., the thick variety of coconut milk in place of sour cream, thinner coconut milks for drinking or thinning foods, coconut cream for ice creams and other situations where substantial thickness is desired.

My Wheat Belly Cookbook is scheduled for release Dec 24th, 2012, as we have just about completed all edits. So I’m not sure what the Amazon UK thing is about.

15. Helen says:

I love this diet, I am down 15 lbs in a little over 3 weeks and I have an appointment with my Dr on Monday because my High Blood Pressure medication is now too strong for me!! My only concern is that I seem to have real problems with flax and ground almonds. Even cooked in muffins, which I love, I get a really crampy stomach and feel quite sick. Anyone else experienced this? I can’t eat peanuts either and I am wondering, whats the connection? Is there anything else I can use when I bake?

• Tanya says:

My first thought was that perhaps the flax wasn’t fresh? Eating rancid nuts would make you feel ill for sure! Buy your nuts from a place with a high turnover of products, I get my flaxmeal from Bulk Barn, I love that place!

Let us know if you figured out the reason!

16. Neicee says:

Don’t know where else to post this but….what is your thinking on smoking meat would be? But, since trying to cut down on the time of high temp cooking, I took a small pork sirloin roast last night and brined with apple cider vinegar, salt, and 1/2 tsp. of stevia for a couple of hours. Then, placed it in my electric smoker for about 8 min. on each side. Removed it and placed in my kitchen oven, covered, for another 2 hrs. on 275 degrees. Oh, my goodness, tasted just like I’d smoked it over woods for 8-10 hours. Juicy, wonderful flavor, yet not dry. Only used the juices to pour over the meat when serving. I’ve done the same to chickens and other type ribs in the past. But, needed your thoughts on it?

17. Robin says:

I want to try this Wheat Belly diet, however I cook for two. The other person has not a drop of fat in his body, I mean he is one of those people that you can see his bones! He worries greatly about dropping anymore weight. He has been this way all his life just cant put any weight on. Would this be harmful to him?

Harmful, no.

But there are no calorie restrictions here, Robin: Eat more fat, eat more protein.

• Robin says:

Isn’t more fat still out if I have had a heart attack? or you are referring to good fats?

• James says:

Hi Robin,

He refers to good fats (oils such as olive, avocado, walnut, flaxseed, coconut, etc). Fat in healthy organic grass-fed meat is also good.

18. Robin says:

Thanks :)

19. Dawn says:

I am very grateful for this book! I recently went “gluten free” to reverse health problems (high bp, blood sugar, low thyroid) and to lose about 70 pounds of excess weight, all in my upper body and of the visceral variety. I feel better but still have issues with my bs, si reading that cornmeal and cornstarch should be eliminated, as well as limiting grains in general, was a real eye-opener. I am convinced that ditching wheat is the right thing.

I do have a question that has bugged me while reading your book (and other sources regarding wheat allergy/gluten sensitivity): why do some people seem to be able to eat the prescribed (by the USDA, etc.) “healthy” diet full of wheat, or, even eat a diet full of processed junk foods, and never get fat or develop health problems? I have 3 stepsons, two are thin and by all conventional standards, healthy (one is a US Marine and very fit), and thier oldest brother could be the Wheat Belly poster child…fat, ADHD, psoriasis, only 22 but complains he feels like an old man all the time. Granted, he lives on boxed mac n cheese, ramen noodles, soda and fast food in enormous quantities, but his younger brothers eat the same kinds of foods. They all have the same mother and father…what makes the oldest one so different? The younger two (20, 18 yrs) do eat more protein and a negligible amount of veggies (compared to the oldest rarely, if ever eating a fresh or even canned vegetable). What gives??

The same reasons, Dawn, that somebody can smoke cigarettes and die of old age at 90 years old, and somebody else who smokes develops lung cancer, an abdominal aortic aneurysm, or heart attack at age 43–genetic predispositions. Even two siblings are genetically unique from each other.

And, by the way, NOBODY fully escapes the adverse health effects of wheat. Many effects occur beneath the surface and lead to, say, rheumatoid arthritis at age 60, or pancreatic cancer at age 51, or cataracts at age 48–yet NEVER generate any perceived effects leading up to the conditions.

20. irene says:

I started this wheatbelly way of life about 2 weeks ago. i have had a severe headache everyday since. is this normal? what can i do about it if anything?also is arrow root guten free and wheat free? and can we use yeast ?

irene