You asked for more recipes . . .

Judging from the outpouring of requests for more recipes that are 1) wheat-free, and 2) low-carbohydrate, I see that I need to provide more help in locating resources.

The Wheat Belly book contains 34 pages of recipes to get you started. This Wheat Belly Blog will also be a resource as I post, recipe by recipe, in the coming months and years, as well as the recipes I will send out for anyone who signs up for them (to the left; I haven’t started yet).

In the meantime, here are some great sources for recipes consistent with this approach–no mention of wheat flour, breadcrumbs, “vital gluten” (yeah, that’s what some people call this poison), or breading in sight!

Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking in a Gluten-Free Kitchen
Julie and Charles Mayfield

This brand-new book (available September 12, 2011) brings a Southern spin to dishes consistent with both the Wheat Belly approach, as well as a “Paleo” diet. Your unavoidable first impression of the book comes from the beautiful photographs that accompany every recipe–every other page is a perfect display of the recipe. Among the recipes I found especially creative and useful included:

Paleo spiced nuts (page 62)
Barbecue sauce with some kick (page 96)
Paleo grits (page 198)
Coconut flour tortillas (page 110)
Brussels sprouts slaw (page 166). (I love their commentary on this recipe: “As a child, and on into adulthood, I thought Brussels sprouts were vile food items that were only served soggy and overcooked with that nasty sulfuric smell. And then, a miracle happened: one Thanksgiving, my friend Peter made a Brussels sprouts dish that was simple divine and turned me into an instant fan.”

Everyday Paleo: Embracing Natural Diet and Lifestyle
Sarah Fragoso

The cover of the book tells it all: recipes for Moms.

Author Sarah Fragoso provides recipes (each also accompanied by a beautiful photo) that are family-friendly, relatively simple and quick to prepare, yet wheat-free, limited in carbohydrate content, and “Paleo.”

Among my favorites:

Bean-less chili (page 156)
Dixie’s fresh salsa (page 170)
Breakfast Paleo pizza (page 186. Yes: pizza for breakfast with a crust made of eggs!)
Spicy speedy stuffed peppers (page 72)

There is also a 30-day menu plan complete with shopping list. I believe this is about as user- and mother-friendly as it gets!

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

88 Responses to You asked for more recipes . . .

1. Kelly says:

Have been gluten-free for awhile but buy into trying to eliminate/lower carbs from rice etc. Question – I made the Wheat Belly Tortillas from my new cookbook and they were ummmm, terrible. Tasted lke cardboard….wondered if anyone has a suggestion on this one for how to make them better? I did however make the Better Than Mashed Potatoes recipe and it was delicous – they were better than mashed potatoes and my family agreed too!

2. Joan Rene says:

I was in line behind 28 people at the library to borrow “Wheat Belly”. Finally, I was able to pick it up this week. Tonight I made your “No Worries Ranch Dressing”. It was fabulous. In fact, it was so good that my husband who likes thousand island dressing (for the sugar, I assume) said my salad dressing was way better and he was eating the Ranch from now on. Thanks for a great recipe. I look forward to getting your cookbook. I have lost 3lbs. this week and I feel great! Yippee!

Yippee, indeed, Joan!

Yes, the wheat-free life can be every bit as delicious–even more so–than the grain-based life. And you get to enjoy it in far greater health!

3. Anne says:

I made the basic bread from your cookbook and found the taste to be quite heavy from the flaxseed. Do you have any comments about this?

4. Nancy Gatlin says:

I am looking for a wheat belly barbeques sauce recipe….anybody have one?

5. lorraine says:

Hi Dr Davis,
    I tried your chicken nuggets from your cookbook and loved it. Do you have a recipe for home made pasta? I found several recipes but they all have ingredients that you do not recommend.
    Thank you.

Great, Lorraine!

No, sorry: no real recipes for pasta, the one thing we have not been able to recreate.

The closest we come are shirataki noodles made from the konjac root and spaghetti squash for spaghetti. Also, if you get yourself a Spiralizer or Spirelli device, you can turn zucchini into a pretty good replacement.

6. Paula Saul says:

I recently purchased the Wheat Belly book and the cookbook. We made the focaccia bread this evening with high hopes and I’m sorry but it sucked…. Dry, crumbly and not really any flavor. Cannot recommend it at all. We did make it as written.

• Paula Saul says:

Additionally ~ I have followed the diet religiously for 2 weeks now and have only lost 2-1/2 pounds. I truly hope this starts to work soon. No wheat or potatoes. No snacks, just 3 meals a day and light ones at that. Just a little disappointed at this point, but I will keep trying for a while longer.