Wheat: Up close and personal

Come on! Wheat can’t be that bad! “If it’s so bad, how come my Mom lived until she was 85 in perfect health and my grandparents likewise?”

Okay, Wheat Belly Busters–those of you who have read the book and know what I’m talking about: IT AIN’T WHEAT. What we are being sold today is so far removed from the wheat of even 50 years ago that I challenge that it should even be called “wheat” any longer.

To illustrate just how far this thing has come, let’s pretend you and I are evil scientists. (Sorry, but this is kind of gross; read on at your own risk.) We want to see what happens when we mate a human subject with an orangutan. What offspring results? I’m not sure, since an infinite variety of variations are possible, but let’s call our experimental creature Homo orangatanus. Next, we cross this creature with other similar creatures over several generations. We then expose the embryos while in utero to gamma irradiation, high-dose x-ray, and mutation-inducing chemicals (“chemical mutagenesis”) to generate various mutations, such as short stature, less body hair, more aggressive behavior, more rapid growth, etc.

After several decades of such activities, what do we have? I’m not sure, but it certainly is no longer human, it’s no longer orangutan, even far removed from Homo orangatanus. It is something entirely different, unlike anything that occurs naturally. It may not even be able to survive without all manner of artificial methods to sustain its life.

This is what happened with wheat: Repeated selective hybridizations, backcrosses, and induced mutations. The result: What I call a Frankengrain, the result of extensive genetic changes, unable to survive without artificial chemical support, genetically stitched together with parts from various sources, like the hideous creature created using the pieces from cadavers and charnel houses by Dr. Victor Frankenstein.

Except this Frankengrain isn’t terrifying the countryside–we willingly invite it onto our dinner tables, package it in clever eye-catching ways, and feed it to our children.

This entry was posted in Genetic changes, Hybridization, Hybridization techniques, Mutagenesis. Bookmark the permalink.

121 Responses to Wheat: Up close and personal

1. Lawrence says:

Hi Dr. Davis,
    My wife and I recently bought and read your Wheat Belly iBook (last week). We’ve cut out all wheat and are looking for alternatives. My question is about the Einkorn wheat. Would using products made with einkorn wheat be bad since it hasn’t been modified through hybridization or genetics? Are the perils of wheat limited to the modern strains and not einkorn or is einkorn just a lesser evil?

2. rbrink says:

What’s your take on heirloom varieties of wheat? Sonora wheat, which is one of the oldest wheat varieties in North America, is beginning to make a comeback. It’s the type of wheat our grandparents did eat.

3. I am really inspired with your writing abilities and also with the format for your weblog. Is that this a paid subject or did you customize it your self? Anyway stay up the excellent quality writing, it’s rare to look a great weblog like this one nowadays..

4. Karnac says:

Dr Davis…I think you”ll find this interesting

Major Breakthrough in Deciphering Bread Wheat’s Genetic Code

BTW Dr Davis…..I went wheat free Aug 1, 2012 and I’m averaging a weight loss of 10 pounds a month for a total of 40 lbs in 4 months……never ever have I had results like this…..and I’ve tried HCG shots, drops, GI Diet, all of them …and failed every time I went on their respective maintainence plans….the reason: Wheat was reintroduced …… FTW now means F%#$ The Wheat in our household. Have a great day and thank you for your work.

Excellent, Karnac!

Yes, I stumbled on this report, also. Let them decipher all they want! They will eventually come to the realization that there are no genetic manipulations that will save this thing, as it is bad down to every gene and nucleotide!

5. suzie zimmerli says:

Genetically modified wheat and food only came into existence since 1996. Hybridization has been for a much longer time. GM foods take the genes from a different species and inject it into the wheat. IE: cold water fish genes injected into the genes of wheat to make it more cold resistant. BAD, BAD, BAD.

> Genetically modified wheat …
      No wheat presently on the US market is GM, as the industry misleadingly defines GM (explicit gene insertion). The genetic monster that is on the market had its chromosome count explosively amplified by several other semi-random methods, for which no food safety testing results have been published (if such tests were ever competently run). See:

If RoundUp Ready wheat hits the market, it will be GM. Wheat, however, all the way back to einkorn, has always been worth excluding from the human diet. The current super stealth toxin varieties raise the stakes health-wise, and must never be consumed. A GM wheat merely adds unknown new hazards and a message of “what part of `never’ were you having trouble understanding?”