Lettuce Wrap like PF Changs from Kelly the Kitchen Kop

Kelly of Kelly the Kitchen Kop blog fame, generously provided this recipe for Wheat Belly Blog readers. Kelly prides herself on providing “politically incorrect” nutrition information, a line of thinking perfectly in sync with the Wheat Belly approach! (Kelly’s blog is packed full of unique recipes, for anyone looking for more.)

Terri’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps
My sister, Terri, is also watching her carbs and the other day she asked if I knew of a good chicken lettuce wrap recipe similar to P.F. Chang’s. We looked online and were shocked that the one we both thought sounded really good had super high carbs – pretty surprising for a lettuce wrap! So she went to work and came up with this tasty recipe instead which has MUCH fewer carbs. She said, “Tell your readers that they may be ordering those chicken wraps at P.F. Chang’s thinking that they’re being ‘good’, but they’re really not.”

4 oz. cooked chicken (preferably pasture-raised chicken), cut up small
Celery-about 2 ribs, chopped small
4 green onion, chopped small
1/2 can sliced water chestnuts, chopped
8 crispy almonds, chopped
Crushed red pepper to taste
2 T fermented soy sauce (or tamari sauce, if exceptionally gluten-sensitive)
1 T balsamic glaze

I also added some organic sesame oil.

Cook everything on the stove until hot. To serve, place 2-3 T. of mixture in a cold romaine leaf or red leaf lettuce. Makes about 7 wraps.

This entry was posted in Recipes. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Lettuce Wrap like PF Changs from Kelly the Kitchen Kop

1. Iris says:

That looks delicious! I can recommend San-J Tamari gluten free as well as Premier Japan Organic Wheat-free Teriyaki sauces for those who are totally gluten intolerant or really want to be extra picky. San-J has both an organic and a regular version as well as one with low sodium. Coconut amino sauce also makes a good gluten free substitute. Can’t wait to try this!

2. John says:

Kelly the Kitchen Kop = …KKK? really? you couldn’t come up with a better name?

3. Linda says:

Again, no carb count, no help for those of us keeping a strict number every day.

4. Linda Jones says:

I think lettuce wraps in general are ALWAYS good – and this recipe seems to be calling out for a few more veg. I would chop up broccolli and add some shredded cabbage/carrots mix to it. Then – nom nom nom :)

5. Kim Harper says:

Hey for all you health nut enthusiasts, have you ever looked into the RAW foods lifestyle? I actually see a link to it off ot the left under Blogroll.
    I have been a RAW foodie (not 100%) for 1.5 years now and it is amazing the foods you can create and enjoy.

6. Kim Harper says:

OK< I see now that it is not a "pro" raw foods article, but my two cents is…….I am eating tons of organic RAW fruits and veggies in a variety of amazing dishes. I also juice and do smoothies. (and when I eat all raw…..no wheat or grains) YUM, in my opinion.

• Some raw veggies aren’t good for us, though, unless cooked, such as cruciferous vegetables. (Arugula, broccoli, kale, cauliflower, cabbage, turnip, collard greens, bok choy, brussels sprouts, radish, rutabaga, and watercress.) Uncooked these contain chemicals that block the production of thyroid hormone in our body. Dr. Davis can probably elaborate on this.

Also greens that contain oxalic acid should be lightly cooked, such as spinach, chard, parsley, chives, purslane and beet greens.

Kelly (Read more at this post: http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/2010/10/think-raw-veggies-are-best-think-again/)

• Mary says:

I love fresh broccoli, kale, and cauliflower. Please explain more your statement, “Uncooked these contain chemicals that block the production of thyroid hormone in our body. Dr. Davis can probably elaborate on this.” July 06, 2012

7. Joe Lindley says:

Looks great! Can’t wait to try it. Thanks!

8. damaged justice says:

Latest reactions, from behind bakingbusiness.com’s registration firewall:

‘Wheat Belly’ author appears on ‘Fox & Friends’
    BakingBusiness.com, Sept. 27, 2011
    by Eric Schroeder

NEW YORK — William Davis, author of “Wheat Belly: Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight, and Find Your Path Back to Health,” received media coverage this week when he appeared on the Sept. 26 edition of “Fox & Friends.” The three-hour morning news show airs Monday-Friday on Fox News Channel and attracts approximately 1 million viewers on a daily basis.

Released this month, Dr. Davis’ book touts the benefits of a wheat-free diet as including such things as weight loss of 20 to 50 lbs in the first few months, alleviation of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, recovery from intestinal woes like colitis and celiac disease, and marked improvement in overall cholesterol and L.D.L. counts. And rather than focusing on “refined grains” maligned in the nutrition community, Dr. Davis is also critical of whole wheat products.

In his interview with the “Fox & Friends” anchors — who did not endorse the book — Dr. Davis noted his belief that whole wheat is an appetite stimulant.

“There’s an odd protein unique to wheat, and this protein has essentially been reengineered over the past 40 years by some clever geneticists,” Dr. Davis said. “What they have done in effect is created a plant that causes appetite stimulation. It creates appetite stimulation.”

Responding to a question on whether wheat is less bad than white, Dr. Davis tried to make a comparison to cigarettes.

“It’s a small difference,” Dr. Davis said. “I would say it’s a difference similar to if I tell you unfiltered cigarettes like Marlboros are bad for you and filtered cigarettes are less bad. By that line of logic, I’d say let’s smoke lots of Salem cigarettes.”

Dr. Davis also does not see consumers switching to gluten-free products as a solution.

“We don’t want to replace one problem with yet another problem,” he said. “So the problem is the gluten-free world, that is processed food used to replace the gluten products like bread is that even if some multi-grain gluten-free bread, it’s almost always made of rice starch, tapioca starch — these raise blood sugars very high and cause visceral fat to accumulate and make us diabetic and give us arthritis. I wouldn’t want to trade one problem area, wheat, for another problem area, gluten-free.”

While not responding directly to Dr. Davis’ appearance “Fox & Friends,” the Grain Foods Foundation this week coordinated an interview with Glenn Gaesser from the foundation’s scientific advisory board and the Chicago Tribune regarding the claims made in “Wheat Belly.” Additionally, the G.F.F. is expected to reach out to the morning shows using Celiac Awareness Month (October) as an angle to offer Dr. Gaesser and/or Shelley Case, a celiac nutrition expert and member of the G.F.F. scientific advisory board, as experts.

• PJ says:

I am baffled by the GFF sounding so empathetic to people with celiac’s and/or gluten sensitivity and their support of Celiac Awareness Month. They have a celiac nutrition expert on their scientific advisory board. They understand that people with these conditions need proper medical treatment. They sound so caring.

As they state in their pathetic response “You Asked, We Answered”:
      “Next, we’d like to make it very clear that we recognize celiac disease and gluten intolerance are both very real medical conditions that do require lifetime elimination of gluten-containing grains, including wheat. There is no question this is the proper medical treatment for these conditions and our response was not meant to discredit or question this. In fact, international gluten-free expert and registered dietitian, Shelley Case is a member of our advisory board; with her help, we regularly collaborate on programs to support the needs of the gluten-free community.”

My question is this: WHAT DO THEY BELIEVE CAUSED THESE CONDITIONS TO BEGIN WITH?

It is odd, isn’t it, PJ?

I suspect it is their effort to parry what is clearly a wheat-related issue, and spin it into something that no longer reflects badly on them.

Of course, the fact that celiac disease has quadrupled over the last 50 years doesn’t deserve a mention . . .

9. Megan says:

This recipe looks delicious. Is balsamic glaze different than balsamic vinegar? Where is it in the store?

10. J3nn says:

These look delish! I can’t get enough lettuce wraps lately; they’re so tasty and easy to make.

11. Joan Rene says:

I have been making chicken lettuce wrap salads for the last 3 weeks. I went to a wholesale grocer/restaurant provider and bought a giant bag of shredded lettuce. I make up the lettuce wrap filling but I add bean sprouts, cabbage/carrot mix and a little sesame oil for authentic flavor, and I pulse a couple of uncooked, boneless skinless chicken breasts in my food processor. I also chop some mushrooms into a medium dice. I don’t use basalmic. I make a mix of tamari, a little sesame oil and some dijon mustard and for some reason that combo just adds up to a fabulous tasting sauce. I make enough to eat on the shredded lettuce and some for lunches the next day. Just warm up the chicken mix and put it on your salad. Easy to eat and DELICIOUS.