Eat this, SixServings!

The comments (112 in total, as of September 23, 2011) posted on SixServings.com, the blog for the Grain Foods Foundation, provide an incredible cross-section of opinions and experiences.

The Grain Foods Foundation is a trade and lobbying group for the wheat industry. These are the people who lobby Congress, the Senate, USDA, FDA, and influence public health policy, school lunch programs, and the like. This is the same organization whose board members, curiously, have deep and longstanding ties to the drug industry, particularly diabetes drug manufacturers.

Anyway, the comments make fascinating reading:

John said:
Eliminating wheat is “cutting out one specific food” only if you believe wheat is a food for humans. Evolutionarily speaking, this is not the case. Only birds evolved to eat grass seeds.

The Dietary Guidelines for Americans is written by a group beholden to industry lobbyists like the dairy and grain councils, so I don’t look to it as any reasonable source of guidance. I trust stringent, peer-reviewed scientific studies.

Meat and even almonds and apricots are better sources of iron. Fruits and vegetables are more nutritious sources of fiber (which isn’t really the necessity it’s made out to be). B vitamins can be had in meat, potatoes, bananas, and beans. Berries are a good source of antioxidants. None of these have phytates that reduce the absorption of said nutrients, nor the lectins and gluten that cause problems even for non-celiacs. Neither do most of these foods spike blood sugar in the same way as wheat, which is extremely easy to convert to sugar in the stomach (even whole wheat).

I hope everyone sees this site for what it is – a piece of propaganda to help grain producers make money.

Steve said:
Look at nutrient density tables. Wheat is only a good/cheap source of energy/calories, especially if your government subsidises its production. Maybe fibre too, depending on how heavily its processed. As to other nutrients, its a pretty poor source compared to vegetables and meat (incl poultry and fish).

This is without getting into more contentious issues such as whether wheat (and other grains) damage the gut of even non-coeliacs, causing leaky guy syndrome and possibly being involved in the pathogenesis of some autoimmune diseases….

Then there is the high glycaemic load wheat provides in the diet, with metabolic consequences.

Remember too that there is not unanimity amongst experts regarding official dietary guidelines: far from it. So, you can’t reasonably appeal to a consensus among experts.

But leave that aside, and also the damage it does to coeliacs (I was VERY ill for 10 years because of wheat), wheat is a pretty poor source of nutrients apart from calories.

Dutch said:
After having totally removed all wheat products from my lifestyle, I am no longer a type II diabetic. I no longer rely on insulin boluses. I have lost 80 pounds. I no longer have man boobs. I have not been sick or had anything resembling a cold in over two years. My arthritic knees have gotten so much better that my doc says I probably will not need knee replacements. I no longer have lower back pain. I am back to playing tennis again. I used to be a competitive tennis player in my age bracket…but that all went away 10 years ago. But now I am back. I am 68 years old.

The only thing I have changed in my life is avoidance of wheat and wheat products.

BK said:
Could you define a “fad” diet? For more than 99.5% of our history, we were eating a diet devoid of grains. By evolutionary standards, wouldn’t a diet rich in grain foods be considered a fad? How is the avoidance of grains a fad and how is it unrealistic? And to call it dangerous because is ridiculous considering a diet rich in animals and plants is more dense in the nutrients cited. Is eating only animals and plants a “fad”? The same logic can be applied to the “danger” in eliminating a multi-vitamin from the diet.

Robin said:
Consuming grain products is known to produce spikes in blood sugar. Eating grains consistently (six servings per day) makes that happen over and over again, which can give rise to insulin resistance, leading to a pre-diabetic condition, weight gain, and bad health.

Dave, RN said:
I eliminated wheat from my diet 5 years ago and replaced it with protein and fats and eliminated vegetable oils and stick with beef tallow, butter and coconut oil. I lost 30 lbs in 4 months and cured my growing blood sugar problem. I gained energy I hadn’t seen since my early 20′s. If wheat is so important, why, 6 years later am I trim, healthy and in the best shape of my life?

And really, referencing the Dietary Guidelines for Americans? Because the government does so many other things right?

The good doctor is right. Modern wheat has no place in our diet.

Jenn said:
I literally laughed out loud when I read this “article.” When selling an item it is assumed that you will want to squash any ideas that your product is dangerous; however, the fact that it IS dangerous is without question. Trying to hide behind the morons that make public food policy based on biased information, and a need to save face, isn’t exactly sound scientific logic. Wheat replaced with vegetables will INCREASE fiber intake, INCREASE vitamin intake, DECREASE insulin levels, and INCREASE health. I love bread, I really do, but I love my health and my body much more.

Besides, bare in mind that the wheat/grain free diet has been around for eons, wheat/grain diets are very new. To use your claims, the wheat full diet is a fad and must be avoided. I must state, once again, this “fad” you speak of is a straw man argument.

Anecdotal evidence: Grain free 2 years, down 50 pounds. Husband grain free 2 years, down 40 pounds. Grandmother grain free 1 year, down 40 pounds. Grandfather grain free 1 year, down 50 pounds. Kids grain free 2 years, leaner, stronger, less cranky, better learners, easier to calm down, more thoughtful when angry, less likely to be angry, less tired… Shall I go on? I can ALWAYS tell when they’ve had wheat (not just sugar, sugar affects them differently) as it makes monsters. It makes me an angry person. I can get down right mean when I eat wheat, yet when I’m off it I’m so much calmer and my emotions are more stable. I would get heartburn (3 tums a night) that is now gone, lethargy is gone, intestinal pain is HORRIBLE if I slip… I wouldn’t go back to the wheat diet if you paid me in gold.

And don’t get me started on the calories in/out thing. We are hormone based, and hormones are massively affected by wheat. We are not fires or furnaces, for all the alliterations to that affect.

So while we all appreciate that you are in business, we DON’T appreciate you trying to tell us that we are going to kill ourselves because you want us to buy bread. We KNOW the truth, and it is incredibly insulting to have you write that our lives are “unrealistic” and “dangerous”, because there are thousands of us that have seen nothing but benefits from losing the grains. You think differently, fine, but don’t you attack us and think we will all sit idly by.

LOL said:
Fool yourself but don’t expect the American citizens any longer to believe those propaganda. You can find everything from antioxidants, b vitamins, iron and fiber in a lot of other healthy foods.

Even more, anti-nutrients in wheat prevent us from absorbing those nutrients.

When farmers feed their chickens only wheat they suffer and eventually die from a lack of B vitamins. Quite the contrary to your propaganda that we need the b vitamins from wheat/cereals.

Wheat is superfluous. Go eat your wheat but don’t whine when you get ill.

Chris said:
Health isn’t just about weight control, cause there are skinny people who are very unhealthy and there are people who are naturally heavier who are very healthy. The calories in, calories out argument has been disproven because different kinds of foods might have the same amount of calories but have different effects on the body. Carbs such as wheat are much more likely to be stored as fat, whereas protein and dietary fat are more easily burned for fuel, especially the medium chain fatty acids found in foods like coconut oil, which bypass the liver and are burned immediately for fuel.

Furthermore, you can become resistant to insulin and leptin, which means no matter how many calories you eat, your cells aren’t able to process them and you need to eat more and more to get the same calories as a normal person gets from less food. What foods cause insulin and leptin resistance? Foods high in starches and sugars, especially when eaten as a large percentage of your total daily calories.

We all owe it to ourselves to look at the evidence with an open mind and ask, what is the sum of all this evidence telling me? If we do this collectively as a nation, we’ll realize that we’ve been tricked into believing a lot of false ideas and information. But now that the mask is pulled away, we can see the truth for what it is, and it’s not what we’ve been taught by the “experts.”

Paul said:
What objective measure would you like to point to? I’ll stack my blood work (any nutrient/cholesterol/CRP, you name it), resting pulse, blood pressure, EKG, you name it against yours any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Wheat free, effortlessly, for one year and the only thing I’m missing is 65 pounds. At some point someone is going to lawyer up and wheat will be the new tobacco. In fact, I herewith trademark the phrase “wheat is the new tobacco” and look forward to joining the aggrieved class.

PJ said:
Gotta love those “Dietary Guidelines for Americans” because they’ve been working so well for us! How in the world did we ever get by before these guidelines were developed? Gold standard of what?! Disease, obesity, diabetes, dimentia, childhood behavioral problems, arthritis, fatigue, heart disease, huge bellies, miserable lives, and multi-billions of dollars spent on diets? Yeah, some gold standard you’re promoting there!

But you’re right, we need to let common sense prevail. We need to continue to spread the word and ignore the “authorities” and listen to those that are genuinely experts in the field of nutrition. Common sense will tell to you to eliminate any food that makes you sick and wheat is at the top of my list.

Jay said:

Since the end of June I’ve lost 22 lbs by eliminating most wheat products and increasing consumption of good fats that were demonized for so many years – coconut oil, eggs with the yolks and butter. I hadn’t really increased my exercise level until the past week or so. I had to leave out all wheat for the first few weeks and I’d estimate a weekly cheat serving of wheat after that with some weeks completely wheat free. I noticed that when I cheat I can feel it later that evening and the next day, increased gas (unpleasant) and indigestion.

I’ve never been diagnosed with Celiac’s and have been a wheat eater my whole life. I’d also gained more and more weight over the years and struggled even when very physically active. I’d gotten more joint pain and less stamina. I would try to lose and my addictive hunger would get out of control, I felt horrible that I didn’t have more willpower. Removing wheat also removed that lack of willpower, lessened that addictive cycle.

I am moving with less pain, my advil consumption has also drastically decreased over the summer. My head is clearer, fewer allergy symptoms, etc. I’m motivated to continue living mostly wheatfree and increasing my exercise level to optimize my health.

If you want to promote wheat because it tastes good (like cigarette and alcohol manufacturers do), fine. Stop pretending it’s a necessity or positive factor in good health.

Sara said:
I was diagnosed with clinical MS 3 years ago. I immediately gave up wheat and noticed an almost immediate improvemnet in my brain fog, lack of energy and various other symptoms. The few times I ate wheat (at the beginning) those symptoms immediately came back. I am not celiac according to tests, just gluten intolerant like a huge portion of the population. I do not take any MS drugs and have felt great and have had stable MRI’s since.

Liza said:
I was fooled by the get healthy by eating whole grains BS and have since suffered the consequences by triggering Celiac disease. I suffered for years with SEVERE gas, bloating and almost constant diarrhea from all those “healthy” whole grains. I was also low in vitamin D,B,and iron. I also have some thyroid issues due to wheat. Sure helped me lose weight though! You should start marketing wheat as a laxative! Because that’s pretty much what it’s good for, flushing down the toilet. The road to Hell is paved with gluten!

neeraj vij MD said:
I am a physician and fully support the concept of Wheat Belly, and have personal experience with giving up wheat as have some of my physician colleagues, with dramatic results including lowering blood sugars, general well being, decreased small LDL particle numbers, and losing the belly. I agree with Dr. Davis and others that the wheat/ grain industry and the Dietary Guideline/ food pyramids etc have strong business interests that are counter to the health of Americans.

A grain heavy diet has no place in human nutrition if grain are replaced with vegetables, fruit, meats, eggs, and nuts. Please enlighten yourself reading about Paleolthic diet. I understand that is counter to your business interests and probabely counter to your traditional education in nutriiton as well, but i am confident you will realize the fallacies of your stance. In fact I urge you to follow it yourself, in fact you might already but want to feed everyone else grains!!!

The data is being gathered at the grass roots level, and just as it took years to bring the tobacco industry to its knees, so will happen with the wheat/ grain industry but it will happen in the end.

And I posted another question:

Specifically, I would like to know how deep the connection between the drug industry and wheat lobby go. The Dietary Guidelines for Americans have led to the largest epidemic of diabetes and overweight the world has ever seen. I find it deeply bothersome that the inevitable beneficiary of this blunder is the pharmaceutical industry.

This entry was posted in Wheat Belly counterattacks. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Eat this, SixServings!

1. Alison says:

Hi Dr. Davis –
    I’m wondering if you and your readers could post some suggestions of convenient, wheat-free breakfasts. Right now we eat bran flakes (President’s Choice Brand — we’re Canadian) with some blueberries and milk. Would we be better to do oatmeal? Switch to a rice-based cereal? I don’t want to have eggs every day. What are other people eating for breakfast?

Thanks!
    Alison

• Autumnrose says:

Alison, I eat greek yogurt or cottage cheese with berries. I’ve found recipes to make bread using almond flour or grand flaxseed. You bake it in the microwave. I have a recipe for protein pancakes that were pretty good. My kiddos loved the pancakes. Leftovers are good, too!

• Rhonda C says:

Hi Alison!

We eat eggs a lot, but in different ways. I make frittatas with spinach, onions, sausage, cheese, and eggs. We have custard made with coconut milk, eggs, and a bit of honey, topped with a few fresh berries. Sometimes I will add pumpkin puree and spices to the custard before baking. Baked eggs in sweet potato hash with spinach and bacon is huge hit. These can all be made the night before and reheated in the morning.

Aside from eggs, we’ll have “Paleo” granola, made with chopped or sliced nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts), shredded unsweetened coconut, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, some dried berries or raisins, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. We like ours with coconut milk.

Smoothies are another great quick breakfast and you have unlimited variety.

There are many recipes for grain-free muffins, made using almond flour instead of wheat flour. I’ve made pumpkin muffins, carrot muffins, blueberry almond muffins, and apple muffins.

For a hot “cereal”, I use a no-oat oatmeal recipe from one of the Primal cookbooks that uses coarsely ground nuts instead of oatmeal, combined with banana for sweetness and eggs as a thickener; add in spices and fruit for more flavor. This has at least three times the nutrition of a bowl of oatmeal.

I found that I had more choices for healthy breakfasts once I removed wheat and other grains from our diet. I’m not limited to traditional breakfast foods like toast or cereal. My kids now turn their noses up at traditional cereal because they prefer the tasty breakfasts of a grain-free diet.

• Diana says:

Alison, one of the best things I’ve discovered about breakfast is that it doesn’t have to be “breakfast-y” like Westerners think. I usually eat leftovers from dinner, or a salad, besides the various ways to prepare eggs, and that works beautifully.

• Linda says:

I also tend to eat leftovers for breakfast. It does take awhile to get used to the idea of not eating the typical AM meal of eggs or cereal/pancakes/etc.

Here is a link for hundreds of awesome recipes from a person who lost 50 pounds and kept it off and is a very good cook as well. I have used many, many of her ideas.

• Linda says:

Here is another link, another talented cook/baker/recipe creator!

• Dana says:

There’s nothing wrong with eating eggs every day. They are incredibly nutritious, especially the yolks. But you can eat anything for breakfast. You don’t have to stick with “traditional” breakfast foods. Even in my high-wheat days I wasn’t above eating cold pizza for breakfast. It’s just food, there are no laws of physics you are violating if you eat a food in the morning instead of at night, or vice versa. (I have eaten “traditional breakfast foods” for dinner as well!)

• Brandon says:

I also dig MIMs (muffin in a minute). You make it in a coffee mug and you nuke it for a minute. The star of that show is ground flax seed. I add natural peanut butter too.
      1/4 c. flax meal (I prefer golden)
      1 t baking powder
      1 T heavy cream
      1 t cinammon
      1 egg
      1 T natural peanut butter

Mix it all in a mug. Nuke for a minute (I go for 1:15). I like to butter it when it’s done and then put sf Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup on top.

Excellent, Brandon!

Thanks for the tip. I’m going to give it a try!

• Pattye says:

thank you so much for posting this recipe. I have been making MIMs for a while but slightly different, adding a tbsp of coconut oil and some stevia, but never tried it with peanut butter. Wow, it is really good, spread with some cream cheese when done. Thanks!

Hi, Alison–

Don’t despair: Plenty of tasty, healthy choices are left after eliminating wheat and limiting carbohydrate exposure.

Try the granola recipe here in this blog. Pour coconut milk, unsweetened almond milk, or milk over it. Try the wrap recipes in the book, or one of the bread, biscotti, or scones recipes here or in the book. I’ll post the pancake recipe soon, as well.

And, as some others have pointed out, try this idea of what I call “dinner for breakfast.” Have leftover chicken with a salad, soup, or other foods you thought were only for lunch of dinner.

2. PJ says:

I found it interesting that Six Servings stopped posting additional comments after September 12th (other than yours, Dr. Davis). I doubt that people just suddenly lost interest on the 13th.
    I’ll bet that there are employees of the Grain Foundation that, after reading the feedback on that site, and the follow-up “You Asked, We Answered”, went home and quietly read your book and eliminated wheat from their diets. I would love to be a fly on the wall and hear the conversations among the employees. They can’t all be dunces.

• damaged justice says:

They’re deleting comments now. Because I saw Dr. Davis’s comment:

“I am curious why your Scientific Advisory Board is populated by experts with close ties to the pharmaceutical industry.”

…and then this morning, it’s gone.

No more holiday excuses. This is not a moderation delay. This is deliberately deleting messages that cut right to their financial backing and motivation.

Hi, Damaged–

Yup, you’re right: They are censoring.

Of course, they are not censoring for profanity or inappropriate language. They are censoring because they don’t like it.

Wow. I feel like I’m living behind the Berlin Wall.

• Pattye says:

Post exactly what you said before Dr. Davis, and then immediately take a screen print and save it to your computer. If it gets deleted again, then you can post the photo on YOUR blog showing proof that they are censoring to custom make the blog fit their theory. I hate censorship, especially when they are dead wrong.

And my recent post was censored. I put it up, they took it down the next day.

Good, old-fashioned censorship being practiced at the Grain Foods Foundation, just like the old Soviet Union, Stalin, and Middle Eastern repressive regimes. Here in the good old U.S.A in the name of protecting a revenue stream.

• Pattye says:

I just posted on there and your post from yesterday, Sept 23, is still there. Go make a screen print of it. My posting is under yours and it says “waiting for moderation” but I made a screen print of it and it shows the web address in my browser, as proof of what I posted.

3. Marie says:

All great comments, but my favorite just might be Paul’s, where he talks about someone ‘layering up’ and ‘wheat is the new tobacco’. BRAVO!!! What happens if, say in 20-30 years, the Food Guide Pyramid creators are held accountable? Could we be seeing Truth-like commercials on tv, citing the hazards of eating wheat, just like we have with tobacco use? Interesting thought.

4. Linda says:

Good grief! Here is a list of the 100 foods that Dr Oz wants us to put into our grocery cart…………………….

Would Dr. Davis be willing to appear on this show or would it be a waste of time? Who sponsors this quack?

• PJ says:

I would literally pay to see that. Sooooo many Kodak moments.

Hi, Linda–

I’ve talked to the producer and they said they are interested. However, I’m a bit skeptical, since the message I bring puts Dr. Oz in a potentially awkward position, having advocated a diet rich in “healthy whole grains” repeatedly. I am hoping he is open to new ideas, even ones that complete shatter his previous beliefs.

We’ll see.

5. Roz says:

With regards to the no new posts over on six servings… I certainly tried to post today over there! It’s awaiting moderation (5 hours and counting).

At any rate, here is what I tried to post over there:

“In Dec 2010 I was diagnosed as being pre-diabetic (h1ac of 5.8), after years of following the low-fat, high whole grain, minimize red meat conventional wisdom diet dictated by people like you.

After a solid 6 weeks of research, I fired my dietician who was unwilling to consider anything beyond the diet recommended by the American Diabetes Association (45-60 grams of carb per meal, 15-30 per snack x 2 a day? REALLY?). I adopted a wheat free diet and by APRIL 2011 (4.5 months later) my H1AC was down to 4.9, and I was never on any medication. The fact that I had lost 25 lbs in that same 4.5 months, and 2 dress sizes, was just gravy. I’ll point I did this without any exercise, in addition. Incidentally, my cholesterol and triglyceride levels are ‘fantastic’ per my physician.

I will grant you this happened prior to the release of the Wheat Belly book (life-changing and life-saving, run — do not walk — to your nearest book store and buy it), but I’ve read it and it did help me understand more about the biochemistry involved with diet and its affects on the human body. I’ve gone one step further and adopted many of the Primal/Paleo guidelines. Without a doubt the largest impact has been going completely grain free.

In less than one year I’ve lost over 60 lbs, cured my pre-diabetes, gained immeasurable energy… and you want to tell me I’ve been conned by some ‘fad’ and my health is going down the drain? Please.”

Thank you, Roz. And what an incredible story!

It’s nice people and success stories like yours that make fighting this battle worth it!

Roz–I’d also like to use your comment as the focus of a blog post.

• Roz says:

I’d say feel free, but you already did! :) The hard part now is convincing my husband to adopt this way of eating. I did have a brief weight plateau after going gluten free when I mastered the art of gluten free baking with the various starches. Cut those treats out after adopting paleo (grain free), and the weight fell away so quickly!

There are numerous paleo cooking blogs out there to help. Food Lover’s Primal Palate, Nom Nom Paleo, and Civilized Caveman Cooking are on my daily checklist. Some of them will use maple syrup and other sugars in lieu of stevia (I use the syrup too, I know, bad!) Even if one doesn’t adopt paleo/primal themselves, these are a rich resource and inspiration for low carb cooking that involves real ingredients. No frankenfoods to be seen.

Hi, Roz–

I figure anyone posting their comment here for all to view won’t mind just having their story transferred to the front page, all equally public. But thank you nonetheless!

Your husband will undoubtedly come along when he witnesses you slender and sleek!

6. JJ says:

I just wanted to reiterate what others have said about breakfast. Most non-Western cultures break their fast with foods that are no different in content to their other meals. It’s only in the West that we consider cereals as breakfast foods. Eating leftovers is a great idea. I like the traditional ‘continental’ breakfast which includes a selection of meat cuts, cheese, yoghurt and fruit. Yes they often have bread/rolls but these make up just part of the meal, not the whole lot.

• PJ says:

I agree! I spent several years in Europe back in the 70′s. Now, those people knew how to eat! EVERYTHING had fat in it, on it and around it. We walked everywhere we went and were soooo trim and healthy. I loved the little deli downstairs from us where we would get breakfast almost every morning. Meats, cheeses, fruits and the most out of this world danish with extra sour cream on top, conversation and expresso. Breakfast was a ritual, not a bowl of cereal or toast on the run.

Of course, I was young and foolish and had no idea that I was ruining my health with all that fat! (Joking!) In the 90′s, our European friends were asking why Americans only eat low fat foods and why did we think this was going to make us thin. Of course, now many European countries have followed our lead and have the same problems we do.

Excellent, JJ.

That’s what I call “dinner for breakfast.”

7. James says:

I’ve put up a long “two weeks off wheat” post over at Whole Note Whimsey.

Click my name to read it.

James–

A fascinating story! And you are a genius for clever word play!

The lost nighttime cravings I’ve seen many times. I don’t know why it gets so bad for many people after dinner, but the elimination of the effect with losing wheat is liberating.

I’ve got to use your “carbage.” I posted a link to your blog on Facebook.

• PJ says:

OMG!! That’s right! I hadn’t even thought about this since I eliminated all wheat over a year ago, but I can really identify with nighttime carbage cravings. I’ve always been able to be “good” during the day, but about an hour after dinner the carbage cravings would be overwhelming. Sometimes to the point when I would feel nauseous and near tears. I couldn’t watch any TV after dinner because it only took one pizza or snack commercial to send me off the deep end. I tried everything . . . skipping dinner and going to bed earlier was ridiculous, but it worked. Waiting to eat dinner just before going to bed also worked. Eating a different food in hopes of satisfying the craving never worked; only a good dose of carbage resolved the miriad of physical and emotional issues that became a nearly nightly routine.

Like you James, I would lay in bed fantasizing about what I would eat the next day. The next morning these cravings would be gone . . . until after dinner and it would start up again.

I’ve been low carb since 1968 and I thought I was just becoming a weaker person as I got older. I’ve always limited my carbs to no more than about 50 and the last 15 years the weight just kept creeping up. After reading Wheat Belly I now understand why it only took a few wheat carbs to have these effects. You’re right Dr. Davis, it is liberating. I hadn’t even thought about it until you brought it up, James, so thank you. I’ll add it to my long list of wheat-free benefits.

8. anthony says:

Thought you might find this interesting: I’ve gotten obsessive about eliminating wheat, especially in its surreptitious forms. Our local fish store was out of fresh fish, but they had freshly made salmon cakes. The guy at the counter said they were made with only a “tiny bit of bread crumbs on either side.” They were already cooked, but she heated them up on a low flame in olive oil. I set about estimating the weight of each one prior to eating: 5 oz, plus or minus a bit. I assiduously separated the “tiny bit of break crumbs on either side,” much to my wife’s consternation :D What was left was approximately an ounce to an ounce and half of “tiny bit of bread crumbs.” To get the approximated, initial weight of “salmon (only) in the cake,” I ate two, again separating out the “tiny bit of break crumbs.” At the end, two cakes of salmon only came to about 5-6 oz +/- of salmon (only), the rest was a “pile of ‘tiny bit of bread crumbs’. ” Our Golden Retriever is on a very low grain/carb dog food (EVO, btw) and totally grain free treats, so she didn’t get any of the left-overs either :D :) So much for “tiny bit of bread crumbs”LOL

Wow.

Perhaps they shouldn’t have called it salmon cakes, but “salmon-flavored wheat cakes.”

• anthony says:

Yup, you got it, Dr. Davis. On a less sardonic note, I’ve referenced your blog to a # of my wheat bellied friends, particularly a young man who is like another son to me. His father dropped dead in his mid to late 20′s, while “running” on a track: BAM, down he went. His son, loved by all of us, has exemplified the outcome of a far too long history of wheat ingestion, SAD, and all the other initialed federal agencies. I hope he takes seriously the import of what you have to say.
        I think I’ll head over to Six Servings to see if I can get banned :D
        Keep up the good work, sir

Hi, Anthony-

One of the most wonderful things you and I can do is to pass this message on to others who we KNOW are suffering the ill effects of this false grain.

Our new badge of honor: Being banned by the SixServings.com blog!

9. Fletcher says:

Funny – I railed her pretty hard for her false information on Six Grains and they never posted my response.

10. get rid of says:

Just wish to say your article is as surprising. The clearness on your put up is simply nice and i could think you are knowledgeable in this subject. Fine with your permission allow me to grab your feed to stay updated with drawing close post. Thanks a million and please continue the rewarding work.